Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default WYRED 4 SOUND amps.

Does anyone have any experience with this companies amps? They have a very extensive lineup & look like excellent performers. I know these class D amps are a touchy subject, but they seem to be getting better & better. Maybe down the road class A & A/B amps just might be in for some stiff competition from these guys. What do you think? Just curious.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Those are Icepower amps. I believe SolidSqual uses them to power his Emerald Physics. I've been looking into them also, I would like to keep my HT area cooler in the summer.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

It's a solid product, but in all honesty, they sound just like most other every-day switching based ICE amplifiers.

Member Sales Rating: (36)

I think I am fairly well situated to comment on W4S gear as it is currently in my setup. My system started out with a pair of Bel Canto S300s. They were detailed and quiet but dull and lifeless. Then I upgraded to a pair of Emotiva XPA-2s and I was finally rockin it out hard with exceptional dynamics but a little less detail and a higher noise floor. I made the jump from D Class to A/B Class because most listeners voiced the fact that early D Class stuff was pretty "digital" sounding. They were right. The S300 to XPA-2 upgrade was amazing and to this day one of the best sounding system combinations I have ever had.

Because I couldn't handle the hiss of the XPA-2s, I now have the W4S ST-250 and 500. The 250 module puts 125 in 8 ohms and 250 into 4 ohms. It is the weakest module by B&O but the most clear. Many consider it the optimal amplification for the highs. That's why the S300s gave me such clarity and detail. Now, that being said the dynamics of the 500 module, 250 into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms, are even better but less exaggerated than the XPA-2. The 1000 module offers a little more dynamics than the 500 module but nothing to justify the expense IMHO. The W4S gear is made like a rock. It's dead silent, which is great for my 100dB efficient Emmys.

The 500 module has pretty much the same sound and dynamics as the 1000 watt module, both of which W4S offers. Moreover, the Bel Canto 1000 monos received Blue Moon awards and other recognition, but lack the board and other upgrades offered by W4S

All-in-all, these are the best amps I have ever owned and make anything made in the price range cry like a bitch. Especially anything made by Klaus Bunge.
    Last edited by SolidSqual; 02-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    It's a solid product, but in all honesty, they sound just like most other every-day switching based ICE amplifiers.
    That's not true. It depends on the module. And, above all else, you need to have system synergy. What kind of gear you looking to pair this stuff with? These amps make my speakers sound like they're playing way out of their price range.
    Last edited by SolidSqual; 02-08-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    That's not true. It depends on the module. And, above all else, you need to have system synergy. What kind of gear you looking to pair this stuff with? These amps make my speakers sound like they're playing way out of their price range.
    Wyred uses the same stock icepower modules as everyone else, and adds in FET input buffer to raise the impedence to 60kohms instead of more like 10kohms. The "synergy" here is probably your dcx2496 having issues pushing the lower impedence. Most pre's shouldn't have any trouble with it, though.

So- it's probably worth the extra cash that you'd pay vs getting 100% stock modules with d-sonic amps, but might not be worth the extra cost of picking up raw modules and doing some DIY.

Stronzo

Hello SolidSqual,

I admit that my above post can be interpreted as a tad crass. It certainly wasn't my intention. :o

I have no axe to grind against class D amplifiers. Hell, I jumped on the class D bus way back when it began to establish itself in 2003/2004. My enthusiasm over the general value many class D amps provide still remains mostly in tact. When I first got into this hobby, the only way you could properly power a speaker like the LSi was to buy a used circa 1980's / 1990's Adcom / Carver / NAD / Rotel power amplifier. Then there was class D, and all the sudden you could drive difficult loads from an inexpensive receiver sitting on the shelf at the now defunct Circuit City. Cool stuff. And it's not just the 'cheap stuff' that's impressive. Products from the likes of Red Wine Audio and*what I now consider to be defunct* H2O Audio have pushed the envelope of what the topology is capable of. People think it's going to take time for class D to come around and match traditional class A/B solid state sound quality.. blah. Guys like Vinnie Rossi and Henry Ho have been ahead of the curb for years, and already offer stuff that teaches 'tradition' a thing or two.

That said, I've found that many of today's high power ICE amps carry on a very identical signature, regardless of the chip-set they use. You can always count on the same things: Incredibly clean sound, great detail, good transparency, excellent bass control, exceptional dynamics, silent operation, and usually a pretty open and wide soundstage. Despite all the virtues, I have yet to hear any ICE switching amp that did NOT sound like its namesake; cool, particularly in the upper mids and lower treble. Although each amp may not sound exactly the same, their general character is usually similar.

Yep, you are correct that synergy always plays its roll. That's always the name of the game. For example: Polk Audio's LSi's tend to sound wonderful on a well executed class D amp. They love the control/high damping factors that these topologies provide. However, I've yet to hear ICE that doesn't sound like ICE. The H2O Signature 100 is the only amp I've encountered thus far that has come close to breaking the mold, and even it had a sound that would occasionally point to its ICE stripes.

This is not to say that ICE amps are insufficient. Quite the contrary. When done right, they can sound pretty darned good. I'm happy that the wyred4sound amps are workin' for you and makin' your system sing. It just goes to prove that you'll never know how something will work out in your system until you try it for yourself.
    Last edited by Zero; 02-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

i hear nothing but fantastic things about these amps. Everyone that i have read about that owns one just raves over it, so thats never a bad sign ;)
    Pro-ject RM-9.1 w/ Grado Sonata 1 -> USP-1 -> RPA-1 -> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands

I can't beleive ICE H20 is going out of business. Those were some amps I always wanted to give a good run at. Damn. Economy sucks . . . and probably marketing too.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    People think it's going to take time for class D to come around and match traditional class A/B solid state sound quality.. blah. Guys like Vinnie Rossi and Henry Ho have been ahead of the curb for years, and already offer stuff that teaches 'tradition' a thing or two.
    Bruno Putzeys Hypex designs are IMO the current bench mark for Class D designs.

Stronzo

Solid - The sad part is that this has nada to do with the economy. No one has heard from Henry Ho since a hurricane hit his abode (Houston) last September. I truly do hope for the best, and that he will resurface in the near future. He's one of the good guys.

Either way, I consider H2O to be no more. It's a real shame, because his "FIRE" pre-amp was simply a ridiculous performer, and the Signature 100 was great as well. I miss that combo, and from the looks of it, it'll have to remain just a pleasant memory. Too bad.

GV#27, I'd like to run a Hypex amp in my rig to see/hear what they are all about. My experience with them has been brief and in unfamiliar environments (RMAF).

Where can we pickup a Hypex amp? All I see are parts on the internet.

GV#27

Where can we pickup a Hypex amp? All I see are parts on the internet.
    Here are two possibilities if you don't want to DIY.Both use Hypex's modules.
    The D100,D200,D500 http://www.ciaudio.com/
    http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=616
    Last edited by GV#27; 02-09-2009 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    Wyred uses the same stock icepower modules as everyone else, and adds in FET input buffer to raise the impedence to 60kohms instead of more like 10kohms. The "synergy" here is probably your dcx2496 having issues pushing the lower impedence. Most pre's shouldn't have any trouble with it, though.

So- it's probably worth the extra cash that you'd pay vs getting 100% stock modules with d-sonic amps, but might not be worth the extra cost of picking up raw modules and doing some DIY.

Check this out, especially the last paragraph:

"The following details some of the reasons why these amps outperform many of the big name competition. This was taken from an Internet post by Wyred 4 Sound:
    There are many sonic differences with our amplifiers. The main reasons are held within our direct-coupled, balanced, dual FET input stage (input buffer). Not only does this raise the input impedance to 61.9K ohms which allows source equipment to easily and accurately drive the amplifier.

The standard ICE modules which are found in the many other amplifiers have 8K ohms on the positive input and 10K ohms on the negative input to the ICE amp. So if you’re using RCA’s for instance, your source would be driving an 8,000 ohm load which isn’t really bad, but much harder to drive than 61.9K ohms. The lower impedance your source has to drive, the more you will experience lower volume levels, and slightly higher distortion going into your amplifier. This normally changes the way a preamp can amplify the signal applied, thus giving you less than optimal sound.

Balanced amplifiers (differential, driven from + and – signals) have a much better performance when driven balanced, which ours does. All the parts you will find on our input buffer are of the best quality. We use Dale Rn55D copper leaded resistors, Wima, and MUSE audio grade capacitors, and a thick traced PCB to connect everything. Audio signal doesn’t sound as good through standard magnetic steel leaded resistors, and electrolytic capacitors.

Inside the FETs on all of our input buffers, there is a voltage to current conversion. This is where we get the sweeter sound. The way a FET works is the current that flows from the output (the drain to source current) is controlled by the voltage on the input (the gate). This has a softening effect that complements the slight brightness and edgy sound of the Class D amplifier. It tends to make everything softer, smoother, and accurate. Given that the function of the amplifier, our input stage (buffer) has unity gain (no gain produced), and is ultra transparent.

We also perform modifications to the modules in every amplifier to enhance its’ performance. We bypass critical input coupling caps to allow audio to freely flow through while still allowing for DC protection, and “beef-up” the servo (feedback) circuit for enhanced bottom-end extension. Every module is connected to the binding posts with 14AWG 99.9% OFC high strand pure copper paralleled with 14AWG high strand PURE silver wire."

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-1000-500wpc-a

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Check this out, especially the last paragraph:

"The following details some of the reasons why these amps outperform many of the big name competition. This was taken from an Internet post by Wyred 4 Sound:
    There are many sonic differences with our amplifiers. The main reasons are held within our direct-coupled, balanced, dual FET input stage (input buffer). Not only does this raise the input impedance to 61.9K ohms which allows source equipment to easily and accurately drive the amplifier.

The standard ICE modules which are found in the many other amplifiers have 8K ohms on the positive input and 10K ohms on the negative input to the ICE amp. So if you’re using RCA’s for instance, your source would be driving an 8,000 ohm load which isn’t really bad, but much harder to drive than 61.9K ohms. The lower impedance your source has to drive, the more you will experience lower volume levels, and slightly higher distortion going into your amplifier. This normally changes the way a preamp can amplify the signal applied, thus giving you less than optimal sound.

Balanced amplifiers (differential, driven from + and – signals) have a much better performance when driven balanced, which ours does. All the parts you will find on our input buffer are of the best quality. We use Dale Rn55D copper leaded resistors, Wima, and MUSE audio grade capacitors, and a thick traced PCB to connect everything. Audio signal doesn’t sound as good through standard magnetic steel leaded resistors, and electrolytic capacitors.

Inside the FETs on all of our input buffers, there is a voltage to current conversion. This is where we get the sweeter sound. The way a FET works is the current that flows from the output (the drain to source current) is controlled by the voltage on the input (the gate). This has a softening effect that complements the slight brightness and edgy sound of the Class D amplifier. It tends to make everything softer, smoother, and accurate. Given that the function of the amplifier, our input stage (buffer) has unity gain (no gain produced), and is ultra transparent.

We also perform modifications to the modules in every amplifier to enhance its’ performance. We bypass critical input coupling caps to allow audio to freely flow through while still allowing for DC protection, and “beef-up” the servo (feedback) circuit for enhanced bottom-end extension. Every module is connected to the binding posts with 14AWG 99.9% OFC high strand pure copper paralleled with 14AWG high strand PURE silver wire."

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....-1000-500wpc-a
    is that coloration?

dont you want "straight wire with gain"?

i got a similar setup as you except my is ICEmodules are w/o mods - and they are sonically stunning with the CS2 :D
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    AVP / Amp - Onkyo PR-SC885P / D-Sonic 2500-7
    Front - Emerald Physics CS2
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Surround L/R / Back - Polk RTi4 / Polk FXi A4
    Sub - 4 X Hsu ULS15 playing nearfield
    DVD / CDP - Sony PS3/40GB / Sony SCD-XA9000ES
    Belkin PURE AV PF60 / UPS
    Buttkicker

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60612

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post
    i got a similar setup as you except my is ICEmodules are w/o mods - and they are sonically stunning with the CS2 :D
    It strikes me as marketing speak.They want to differentiate their implementation of the ICE modules from the countless others using them. The actual mods they do are very minimal but they can add some spin to it to make it sound good(pun intended).It doesn't detract from it being a quality product.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27 View Post
    It strikes me as marketing speak.They want to differentiate their implementation of the ICE modules from the countless others using them. The actual mods they do are very minimal but they can add some spin to it to make it sound good(pun intended).It doesn't detract from it being a quality product.
    Exactly. The ASP modules are a hard sell- you gotta do something to them to make them "special". Wyred's input buffer is certainly a good selling point given that they're pushing them as _THE_ way to drive CS2's and the DCX2496 isn't a particularly strong pre. However, for other applications, it's going to be diminishing returns vs stock icepower modules.

Some of the unpowered boards with a more traditional power supply certainly do look interesting. I'm not giving up my "spaceheaters" anytime soon, but class D is starting to be competitive.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Exactly. The ASP modules are a hard sell- you gotta do something to them to make them "special". Wyred's input buffer is certainly a good selling point given that they're pushing them as _THE_ way to drive CS2's and the DCX2496 isn't a particularly strong pre. However, for other applications, it's going to be diminishing returns vs stock icepower modules.

Some of the unpowered boards with a more traditional power supply certainly do look interesting. I'm not giving up my "spaceheaters" anytime soon, but class D is starting to be competitive.
    the 2496 does not have enough output to drive the ICEmodules
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Buttkicker

this guy on avs forum will have a modded and unmodded class d amp and will do a shootout.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=714
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Buttkicker

The DCX is only used as a crossover (and is transparent as hell, especially the modded version). My BAT does the preamplifier duties. As they say anyway, the proof is in the pudding.

the 2496 does not have enough output to drive the ICEmodules
    He has no idea what he's talking about. Let your ears be your guide. My DCX modded or unmodded has never left me wanting. I do recommend the Cullen mod if you get a chance though. The increased clarity and dynamics are worth it.

If you do need some substantiation on the part of professional reviewers then just google. These speakers place way out of their price range. Which is exceptional since they have competition like Gallo Ref 3. Unfortunately for Unc, the Gallos can't hold a note compared to the Emmys. I've heard both in my home and there's just no comparison.
    Last edited by SolidSqual; 02-09-2009 at 10:11 PM.

i'm ...

885SSP L/R => 2496 A/D/A conversion, Hi L/R + Lo L/R => 2 X 1000ASP Lo L/R + 500ASP Hi L/R...so isnt the 2496 acting as a pre??

what did they replace inside the dcx? is the difference very noticeble?
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Buttkicker

i'm ...

885SSP L/R => 2496 A/D/A conversion, Hi L/R + Lo L/R => 2 X 1000ASP Lo L/R + 500ASP Hi L/R...so isnt the 2496 acting as a pre??

what did they replace inside the dcx? is the difference very noticeble?
    The difference is very noticeable in terms of clarity and dynamics for sure. My girlfriend is by no means an audiophile and she commented on it before I even told her I switched out the two DCXes.

As far as an explanation as to how the DCX is utilized, let me look through some old emails. I have a great explanation from Clayton Shaw.

GV#27

The DCX is only used as a crossover (and is transparent as hell, especially the modded version). My BAT does the preamplifier duties.
    The BAT is prviding the gain,but the DCX is what drives the input to the amp so it is seeing its load.Im not sure what is used in the analog output stages of the stock DCX, but even if it is a low grade opamp it should not have a problem driving an unmodded ICE modules 8k input.
    Last edited by GV#27; 02-09-2009 at 11:21 PM.

The difference is very noticeable in terms of clarity and dynamics for sure. My girlfriend is by no means an audiophile and she commented on it before I even told her I switched out the two DCXes.

As far as an explanation as to how the DCX is utilized, let me look through some old emails. I have a great explanation from Clayton Shaw.
    hmm...i thought i remember reading somewhere that either walter or clay saying that there is no benefits to modding the 2496.....

u changing to the CS1?
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Buttkicker

Member Sales Rating: (43)

The DCX is a pro audio product. They are designed to drive amps with low impedance inputs. Actually the problem many users were having with the DCX is that it has too much output. Off the top of my head (it's been over a year since I have been looking at them) they put out about 9-10vrms.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    The DCX is a pro audio product. They are designed to drive amps with low impedance inputs. Actually the problem many users were having with the DCX is that it has too much output. Off the top of my head (it's been over a year since I have been looking at them) they put out about 9-10vrms.
    all i found was this....no mention of the output capability

http://www.behringerdownload.de/DCX2..._ENG_Rev_B.pdf
    my 7.(1x4) HT setup
    TV - Mitsubishi WD-65734
    Center - JTR Triple 12LF
    Buttkicker

hmm...i thought i remember reading somewhere that either walter or clay saying that there is no benefits to modding the 2496.....

u changing to the CS1?
    They were referring to the extreme mods that cost like $3k. They said its not worth it for the relative returns. Many companies offer mods for sections of the DCX that aren't utilized by the Emmys.

And, No. I'm not changing to the CS1 anytime soon. I love my Emmys and am staying with them until I get a bigger room.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I highly recommend Wyred, and D-Sonic as they both use the same modules, just different chasis. I run a D-Sonic Magnum 1000S to my Rti12s and they sound very good. Nice amp, built like a tank and the CS I received from Dennis was second to none. Both products have a great name in the business and offer a great product similarly priced. You wont regret it, theres a few other companies out there as well, my favorite being Red Dragon.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Has anyone head the Spectron amps and where they would fit into the class d rankings....very expensive though.

Always thought those d soincs would be great for ht.

I definitely like the thought of class d for ht. I think they are better at speed at dynamics....just lack the harmonics of class a.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Thread Information