Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default Yamaha 863 / Onkyo 706

Folks, Couple of quick questions on these 2 receivers:
    1. Do both have connections for an external amp?
    2. Both have some type of HT sound correction program for room size / standing wave issues. Which one works better...I hear the program Yamaha uses is somewhat limited....
    3. Do both have the feature to keep sound volume at same level when watching TV, when a commercial come on (this is quite annoying).

Any advice is appreciated...I will be running an RTiA9 / CSiA6 / FXi6 speaker setup...from the experts. I found a deal on both from my local HHGregg.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I can't answer all those questions but regarding one, Yes both have 8 pre-outs for external amps. And both have some form of room correction--Yamaha runs its own YPAO Onkyo uses what I think is a bit better Audyssey MultEQ for Room Correction and Speaker Calibration and the newer Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction.

Some one know about auto-volume control? Both receivers are great mid-fi units. And both have gotten high honors by Audio mags. The 863 and 706 were top picks in their class in two separate Hi-fi mags.

cnh

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thanks cnh...I do believe the Onkyo 876 does have the annoying-commercial-volume correction feature, but its quite a jump up in $$$.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

kev welcome to CP. To the best of my knowledge both of those do NOT have the feature for volume correction on commercials.

Take a look at THIS and see what little more you get with the 863 compared to the 663 Yamaha. Unless one of the added features on the 863 is something you really have to have I would not even consider it over the 663. A huge price difference for those features which many do not need. Just my .02 cents on that.

I use a Yamaha 663 and am happy with it, but between those two which are competitive AVRs I would say the Onk because it seems like it can be found at bargain prices more often than the 863.

Thread Information