Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Luxman L-11

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Luxman L-11

I spotted a Luxman L-11 on CL here:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/1049989836.html

Is anyone familiar with this model? It is 28 years old. What should I beware of when inspecting it? LSi9 compatible? Is $400 a fair price? I can offer $300 if it is good.

I am thinking that it might be the core of a two channel system.

Thanks,
    Jim

PS: I have attached the brochure
    Attached Images

Go get it. Very nice unit, good power and from Luxman's heyday. worth more than 300 but don't tell anyone.

Can electronics deteriorate over 28 years, even if "barely used" as claimed? I am willing to gamble $200 and a quick look at Hawthorne's prices suggests that is near reasonable considering there is no warranty.

Jim

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Everything deteriorate over times. But the good designed electronics is less effected by the deterioration and Luxman is considered to be one of the companies that make good electronics. Like others has said, it is a good price but the question is will it makes your LSi9 sings smoothly? You can always resell it if it doesn't work well with the LSi9.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

The seller said this about 4 ohm:

"The manual doesn't say anything one way or the other about using 4 ohm speakers (all the specs are for 8 ohms). However, the back of the amp say total impedance of not less than 4 ohms per channel so I assume that means yes."

How can I evaluate this for LSi use?

Just to be clear, I don't have LSi9s, but the bids I am seeing for refurbished ones at Polk make them attractive and affordable.

Jim

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1421 View Post
    Can electronics deteriorate over 28 years, even if "barely used" as claimed? I am willing to gamble $200 and a quick look at Hawthorne's prices suggests that is near reasonable considering there is no warranty.

Jim
    Hi Jimbo I am Steve in Los Lunas. I know the gent selling the luxman I bought a pair of marantz hd880 speakers he had the Luxman paired up with (awesome speakers I might add) anyway, He brought the Luxman by the other day for a cleaning and an audition and it was fantastic, clean sound big sound stage on Marantz hd 770s. (was refoaming the 880's so they were down). I also tried it with my old Marantz 1060 as a preamp (luxman L 11 has no tone controls) and it warmed it up a bit. This is a great amp if i could swing it $wise (and I might yet!) it would already be mine. But alas my speaker habit has left me broke flatter than a mules c...well you get the picture.Anyway if you can at all swing it get that amp you wont be disappointed it damn near walked my 770's across the floor. I would'nt be telling you this if I thought there was a chance of me coming up with the cash but it's not looking favorable and I'd like to see this amp go to a good home as opposed to some scummy/greedy flipper.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input. I am thinking of setting up the Luxman with a pair of LSi9s (4 ohm impedance). Can you comment on the L-11's ability to handle this or similar speakers? The seller guesses that it is OK, but I have not found any other source of information.

Jim

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input. I am thinking of setting up the Luxman with a pair of LSi9s (4 ohm impedance). Can you comment on the L-11's ability to handle this or similar speakers? The seller guesses that it is OK, but I have not found any other source of information.

Jim
    Sorry Jimbo but that question is beyond my knowledge I'm ASSUMING 4 ohm would be okay, If you are worried you could maybe wire in a second set of speakers which (depending how its wired) should drop the amp to 4 ohms. You might try googling, never underestimate it. Ill do some myself and if i find an answer i will be back to give you a link. I really want this amp for myself lol but I just got an old Marantz 250 I have to pay off.

Hi Steve,

Jim
    Just found this link and others seem to agree that if U wired in another pair in series thus lowering the ohms at the amp blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda heres the link others seems to think it's ok either way http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=819888 good luck! hope posting this link from another forum don't cause a ruckus.

Thanks for the link, Steve. Two pairs of LSi9s wired in series isn't in the cards; not even space for them, let alone, money. So, I either can stick with 8 ohm speakers or look for something else.

Thread Information