Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma VS LCD

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Plasma VS LCD

Ok here I go with another thread(not hard to tell I'm a newbie). Anyway, sometime in the near future, I will be buying a new tv. I am rather limited in size as the room I'm putting it in is 12x12 with 10 foot ceilings. I am thinking 40 to 42 inch.

Now I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems most people in this forum think plasma is the way to go but I read about Pioneer ( who most people seem to agree in here make the best Plasma TV) is getting out of the business. This makes me a little nervous about buying plasma.Pioneer, a major player in the electronic market is getting out of plasma tvs. I know that due to the pricepoint of the Kuro units,they are not selling them in large numbers, but I would speculate that they must have other reasons as well. I mean they could just sell a cheaper line if they wanted, couldn't they.

Anyway, I am leaning towards buying a Samsung Series 7 120 Hertz LCD and just wanted some imput from people out there who may own one now or are familiar with the product.

As Usual

Thank-You in Advance

TIM
    Last edited by renowilliams; 02-28-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

For an LCD that's a great set, I had my son buy a version. Price to feature ratio is great. Picture is good...though like all LCDs it tends to look like it's on FIRE compared to a plasma, i.e., the colors are bold, bright and exagerrated. But he loves it and I think it's a great LCD if that's where you're going.

On the other hand although, I agree that Kuro rules--have seen any number of them including their best. As I say in the plasma post--based on reading the article link there; Panasonic Plasmas are going to benefit from Kuros demise...Kuro engineers are already working for Panny. and the Panny's are making some decent plasmas that will only become more and more Kuro like.

It is also likely that Panasonic plasmas will continue to sell for a while even in this economy. So if you're worried about service--look at the Panasonic line!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I agree with the Sammy you have chosen or one of the Panny Plasma's.
    Sony makes a great LCD as well, but the top models will cost you a pretty penny.
    Romans 1:16

Member Sales Rating: (10)

My vote would be for a 42" Panasonic Plasma.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH

i have a 46 sammy lcd 650 series and absolutely love it. great picture. i dont watch mine in the dynamic settings where everything looks brighter . i used the settings from cnet and just tweeked them a little to my likings and it looks great. blueray is incredible on it. my other choice was the 46 panny plasma, but me and my wife liked the sammy,s picture better. she really likes the bright settings. i dont think you will be disappointed either way you go.
    samsung 61" dlp led
    onkyo 606 avr
    polk cs10 center
    polk tsi100 fronts
    polk psw111 sub
    bose acoustimass 6 rears( for now)
    ps3 blueray player

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

LCD's have the advantage of: Lower power consumption, brighter screens and less light reflection. Some people, like Jaffo24's wife, are drawn to LCD's due to the brightness (I call it moths to a flame syndrome) heh. This brightness can also be particularly inviting to a gamer.

Otherwise, a good plasma still rules the day. They are faster, much more accurate, offer a more consistent picture across a variety of sources (from cable to dvd to bluray, etc), and usually sport a better dollar for dollar value.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I much prefer plasma's to LCD's myself. I'm going to be looking to get a new TV sometime next year myself. I've been leaning towards the Panasonics for the most part. I've compared several tv's and Panny came out on top in my eyes. I compared a Samsung, a Panasonic and a Sony. I didn't get a chance to check out any Kuro's though, because no one near me carries them.

Here's the one that I'll probably end up getting. It's one of the cheaper plasmas on the market, but it's a 42" and it has 1080p for 1100 bucks, so it's all that I'd need. By the time I'm actually ready to buy one, it will probably have come down in price more too.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier...5863336&sr=1-2
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 02-28-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (41)

The samsung 750 is a great choice. I own the 850 and 650 which have a great picture but some people have had problems with clouding.

This is a very popular topic as of late but I can tell you you can't go wrong with any mentioned below

Pioneer plasma
    Panasonic plasma
    Samsung plasma or lcd
    Sony LCD

Also do a search. There's plenty of LCD vs. Plasma threads. Check out the latest consumer report magazine. Value and picture quality they have the Samsungs rated on top in almost every category.
    Last edited by leroyjr1; 02-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (45)

I think the Sammy's have the best and most accurate color reproduction in the entire industry overall. My old Sammy had better color accuracy than my current Pioneer, but the black levels of the Pioneer are a little better. The video processing seems to be better on the Pioneer as well.

Do note that it is now a great time to buy a Pioneer Plasma. Prices are fantastic!
    Romans 1:16

I have had a Panasonic TH-42PX77U for a little over 1 year now. I thought I was going to buy LCD when I was shopping and just could not find anything I liked better at its price point. It is only 720P, but for my room that's all I need, and this set still continues to impress me. As others have said I think the plasmas have the edge over LCD. I have a smaller older, Panny LCD in the bedroom and feel Panasonic overall makes a fine TV.

I second the thought that you can't go wrong between the Samsung LCD or a Panny plasma.

For an LCD I would go with a Sony XBR6, which I think in it's class has the best picture. If you want the best picture from and LCD sure you can go with the Sony XBR8 or Samsung LN95 but are very expensive as they use LED-back-lit technology.

Thanks for all the imput. It seems the top choices are Pioneer, Panisonc and Samsung. Will have to look at some soon

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Member Sales Rating: (41)

Interesting link. Very helpful

Years from now...people in the industry will scratch their heads and wonder how the public could choose LCD over Plasma on a strictly performance basis.

These same people wonder how conventional CRT lost to either, how Laser disc was mis-understood and why people choose iPod over vinyl.

Pioneer Elite Plasma's will now become collectors items. I wouldn't be surprised to see sets increase in price (and being sold on Ebay) over the next few months as videophile enthusiasts gobble them up.

Hopefully Panasonic will pick up the torch and we won't have to be forced to buy yet another product that is easily sold to the public but doesn't satisfy the thirst of performance based consumers.

From my post I guess you can see where my mindset is. I think history will support the evidence at hand.

I think checking out the LCD TV ratings might be a good idea. You can try to read the expert reviews for a particular brand that interests you. And they have some nice selections over there.

I have had Sony LCD's for years and never thought of anything better... until I saw the Pioneer Elite Kuro. I was so impressed I made sure it was the Pioneer panel and bought the 50" (which are priced at an all time low while supplies last). As I live overseas, it might stay in its box for a year or two but I had to have one. Now that's a lot of either stupidly, confidence or true anticipation (maybe all three). But it sure will be a hoot to watch it when the time comes. But much like sound, it comes down to what looks the best to you and suits your needs.
    Pioneer Elite Kuro 50" Pro111FD
    Front: Polk LSi15
    Center: Polk LSiC
    Surround: Polk LSiF/X
    Sub: Polk PSW10
    Amps: Rotel RB 993 &
    Parasound HCA-800 II
    Pre/Pro:Anthem AVM-20

Haven't seen the Pioneer yet, the Sony's are impressive! Can't even find rear projection any longer...

Thread Information