Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Does the Cord Matter?

OK...bottom line....Does the type of cord type matter that is driving my PSW111 SW? Right now I am using the cheapest cord and it sounds fine. I know I have read posts where people are buying $100 cords. What really is the difference? Is this a sound change that only my dog can hear?

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Your current power cord is working just fine. I wouldn't worry about upgrading the cord, IMO.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I don't know if that sub you will be able to notice any change with but with 3 out of the 4 subs I have owned I have most definitely noticed a change for the better. Tighter bass, cleaner reproduction and you can feel the change as well as hear the change. The one sub I did not notice any change with was my first Polk sub that had an 80 watt plate amp. I forget the model # but I believe that it was the beginner sub [more like a mid-bass module]. The more you step up in sub quality IME, the more an upgraded PC can make a difference in the sound.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (45)

Where is a good place to buy an aftermarket Power Cord for a reasonable price?
    Romans 1:16

Member Sales Rating: (31)

http://signalcable.com/power_cables.html

Mention Club Polk and you'll receive a 5% discount IIRC.
    Last edited by Face; 03-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks Face. Excellent prices.

I'm a big fan of their "digital reference" PC and even use one on my DLP.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

It is great to see that "Made in the USA" label on those cables!!!

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Mention you are a CP member too, he'll give you a little discount.

Which component would benefit the most from a Power Cord upgrade?

The power amp or CD Player?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Conradicles View Post

As Kosh would say...."yes".... :D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Conradicles View Post

It depends. Some amps respond well, some don't at all...same for digital components.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

...only the umbilical cord...
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

+1 to MikeC78.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I can afford it after paying 2008 taxes, I'm buying the Signal Digital Reference for my computer.

Other good value power cords at Zebra and Element.
    PC stereo: Viper custom PC: Windows XP; ASIO4ALL; JRiver Jukebox> Pop Pulse USB to S/PDIF conv> Monarchy DIP > Musiland MD10 DAC > Parasound 2100 pre> Aragon 4004 MKII amp> Dali Ikon6 towers; Sunfire True Sub; PSA Duet, Ultimate outlet and Noise Harvestors.

So your saying to buy a new 6' power cord to make your sub sound better? What about the other 50' of electrical wire from the panel to the outlet, nothing is changing there? I think you would have better luck buying a good RG6 coaxial interconnect cable to run from your receiver to the input on the sub, can't go wrong with a Canare/Belden setup from places such as Blue Jean Cables or other online guys.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post
    So your saying to buy a new 6' power cord to make your sub sound better?
    Yes. Depending upon the application, the type of sub and whether or not it responds well to it or not. There are no guarantees in audio. My best advice would be to try it.

As far as the 50' of wire before the PC upgrade is concerned, just run a search and you will find a plethora of responses concerning that. Most change to a 20 amp line for improvements. Another thing you could do is run a search on Darknight's threads. He is very thorough in his writing and I will guarantee that you will learn a thing or two.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by lovebohn View Post
    So your saying to buy a new 6' power cord to make your sub sound better? What about the other 50' of electrical wire from the panel to the outlet, nothing is changing there? I think you would have better luck buying a good RG6 coaxial interconnect cable to run from your receiver to the input on the sub, can't go wrong with a Canare/Belden setup from places such as Blue Jean Cables or other online guys.
    One would hope that if you're spending the coin on reference-quality power cables, you have a high-quality power conditioner between said power cable and the run from the panel to the outlet. And as treitz mentioned, a listening room with acoustical treatments and audiophile equipment that would allow you to hear the benefits of such cabling would also likely have at least dedicated 20A circuits.

Thread Information