Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default how important is "timbre" match with speakers?

There is alot of talk of getting speakers that timbre match but if a recevier can calibre the speakers, so cant you get all the speakers to "timbre match" ? or am i completely off?

thanks

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Timbre matching refers to the actual sound of the speakers. Different speakers have different sounds. The tweeters/mids/woofers in the RTi series are going to sound much different than the tweeters/mids/woofers in the LSi series.

Timbre matching isn't something that can be corrected through calibration in an AVR. You are much better off with a timbre matched setup though. Affects that go from front to back, or across your front soundstage sound much better with a timber matched setup.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Yep, Curt is right on the money with this. However, occasionally you can get lucky like me, it seems my CerwinVega center matches up nicely with my R50's up front. (I do wonder what it would sound like with a CS10 though).;)
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

On this site and others, I've heard that the RTiA series isn't timbre matched with the LSi's. I've been using the CSiA6 along with LSi15 fronts and LSiFX surrounds and so far it is working well for HT and the music I play. (I play all music in seven channel mode, so this may be a factor) The CSiA6 is a very good center speaker. Not sure I have heard much of a timbre mismatch with what i've listened too thus far. Perhaps my ear isn't as critical as others. Have others tried this?

I'm using the LSiC on my living room system, but may try a spare CSiA6 there too, soon. I did do a short A/B test and had a very hard time telling the difference.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 03-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

There is at least one of our Polk Gurus who's said timbre matching doesn't matter as long as it sounds good to 'you'. Can't remember who that was. But maybe he'll show up in this post.

As for me...I'd go with Curt, et.al, above.

On the reincarnation scale I'd say I'm an 'insect' and will never make it to Guru. Too much BAD karma and sins galore?

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I've mixed and matched a few centers and mains and having a timbre matched front stage will always sound more convincing. IMO, it's not as important with rears, but I would still recommend it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    There is at least one of our Polk Gurus who's said timbre matching doesn't matter as long as it sounds good to 'you'. Can't remember who that was. But maybe he'll show up in this post.

As for me...I'd go with Curt, et.al, above.

On the reincarnation scale I'd say I'm an 'insect' and will never make it to Guru. Too much BAD karma and sins galore?

cnh
    To paraphrase an old saying, "Good sound" is in the ear of the listener, I guess. It's only worth being a guru if you can levitate, right? How many gurus can do that?
    Last edited by xcapri79; 03-08-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    That would be me. Timbre matching is for wussies.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Thread Information