Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default using yamaha rx v2700 AVR to run LSIs

    Hello All
    I am new to this forum and have a question.

    I have Lsi 15, LsiC and LsiFx system that I am in the process of setting up.
    I have read that these are "power hungry speakers" and are 4 ohms.
    My question is do you think I can drive these with a Yamaha RX-V2700 reciever? Rated at 140 watts per channel at 8 ohms and approx 230 amps at 4 ohms. I was planning on Biamping the Lsi 15s which this reciever is set up to do. My set up will be 5.1 so I should be able to bi amp fronts as reciever is 7.1 capable
    FYI I will be using a Hsu VTF-3 MK3 sub

    Any opinions would be appreciated. I will eventually add additional amps and run through reciever but was hoping I could get by for now.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    You can drive the LSi with that AVR, but with lots of caution. Audioholics seemed to think it did ok with 4 ohm loads, but I'm not sure but what that was only 2 ch. Also I think the 230w @ 4 ohm spec is 2 ch only but I am not sure. I believe a full 5.1 set up, especially with LSi15's will be a challenge for this (which is a really nice, respected AVR), and most AVRs.

    You may want to look the manual over real close on the 4 ohm capabilities and the bi-amping. The lower price Yamaha's I do not think will let you run a full 5.1 set up of 4 ohm speakers, and may also add restrictions on the bi amp feature with 4 ohm loads.

    If you must use it's amp for a short time you should be able to get away with it, if you are conservative with the volume. You won't get the full enjoyment and your moneys worth out of your speakers, and run some risks, but use your head and you should be ok.

    btw welcome to CP

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Viper, welcome. We should believe Polk when they specify that the LSi15s have a sensitivity of 88dB(quite loud with just 1 watt), which is typically average for home speakers, and shouldn't take comments about them being "power hungry" seriously. The 2700 should drive your speakers to very high sound levels without difficulty. You'll be doing better than just "getting by", and in any case you shouldn't assume that there would be a problem which likely would never develop.

    Forget about the so-called "bi-amping" provision which the 2700 and some other receivers advertise. Receivers have only one main power supply section and funneling that limited amount of power through two sets of output transistors(one set previously unused for back surround speakers)rather than one can't double the power, as some imagine, or increase it in any amount. The output transistors have no power of their own and simply act as valves to feed the required amount of power from the power supply section to each connected speaker.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (12)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com
    Posts
    12,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    You can drive the LSi with that AVR, but with lots of caution. Audioholics seemed to think it did ok with 4 ohm loads, but I'm not sure but what that was only 2 ch. Also I think the 230w @ 4 ohm spec is 2 ch only but I am not sure. I believe a full 5.1 set up, especially with LSi15's will be a challenge for this (which is a really nice, respected AVR), and most AVRs.

    You may want to look the manual over real close on the 4 ohm capabilities and the bi-amping. The lower price Yamaha's I do not think will let you run a full 5.1 set up of 4 ohm speakers, and may also add restrictions on the bi amp feature with 4 ohm loads.

    If you must use it's amp for a short time you should be able to get away with it, if you are conservative with the volume. You won't get the full enjoyment and your moneys worth out of your speakers, and run some risks, but use your head and you should be ok.

    btw welcome to CP
    I am running a yamaha rxv-861 currently and found what this post has to say to be quite true. At modest levels you will be fine for quite some time to come, but once you start to unleash the potential of your system you will find the receiver's power not up to the task at hand as there are to many speakers looking for their share of a limited reserve of power. I belive the best thing you can do is to ignore the bi-amping ability of the amp and look for a good quality amp to run just your front speakers. in this way you will take some of the load off the rest of the system and improve the presense of your mains.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Viper,
    I am in the same boat as you. Would be nice to hear from LSi users not using an external amp yet and to know what configuration they are running(fronts only, fronts & surrounds, receiver type, etc). Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Hi Viper. I have the exact same yamaha amp and used it to run my LSi15s. It sounded great to me. Even at very loud volumes I did not hear any distortion. There is a sequence that you will have to key in on the amp to switch the front 2 channels to 4 ohm. Only the front two channels can run in 4 ohm all others are 6 or 8 ohm. The amp is very solidly built and you should be fine running all channels as long as the center and surrounds are 8 ohm speakers. I have since added a rotel rmb1095 with SDA 1Bs. I am using my LSi15s now with a 35 watt dynaco70 and so far no problems.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyguy View Post
    Hi Viper. I have the exact same yamaha amp and used it to run my LSi15s. It sounded great to me. Even at very loud volumes I did not hear any distortion. There is a sequence that you will have to key in on the amp to switch the front 2 channels to 4 ohm. Only the front two channels can run in 4 ohm all others are 6 or 8 ohm. The amp is very solidly built and you should be fine running all channels as long as the center and surrounds are 8 ohm speakers. I have since added a rotel rmb1095 with SDA 1Bs. I am using my LSi15s now with a 35 watt dynaco70 and so far no problems.
    Viper/Murray please take note of the above, remember it is current not watts that makes the difference.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate it.

    I will hook it up on Friday and see what it does.

    So if I understand correctly... Bi amping won't do me any good?
    Is this feature truly worthless?

    I thought if the amp was designed to amplify a 7.1 system and I didn't use the final pair of speakers I could use essentialy use those "resources" to help power the fronts. Am I wrong about that?

    Thanks

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperACR View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses, I appreciate it.

    I will hook it up on Friday and see what it does.

    So if I understand correctly... Bi amping won't do me any good?
    Is this feature truly worthless?

    I thought if the amp was designed to amplify a 7.1 system and I didn't use the final pair of speakers I could use essentialy use those "resources" to help power the fronts. Am I wrong about that?

    Thanks
    Viper,
    Been a bit confused on that question myself. Thanks for asking.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Murry,

    are you using Lsi15s also?
    are you using Lsi15s, Lsic and Lsifx surrounds?

    Thanks

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    191

    Default

    In the process of buying 15's, LsiC,and 7's. Looking at Denon 2809, Oink 806, Pioneer sc-05 receivers. Got any $ I can borrow?

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post
    Viper,
    Been a bit confused on that question myself. Thanks for asking.
    Viper/Murray, I'm not real good at explaining things, but I'll give it a try. Try to look at it like you have a pump that's capable of pumping 6 gals/min. You can pump that out of 1 hose or 2 it doesn't matter, the pump can still only pump 6 gal/min.

    My opinion on the bi-amping feature on AVRs is that it is nothing but marketing. The same for bi-wiring speakers, marketing from speaker manufacturers. This is strictly my opinion and there are many who will disagree. But just as many that have tried it and feel the improvement wasn't worth the money of the extra speaker wire used. The only true way to decide this would be to try it, and if you hear an improvement, then so be it, and be happy.

    I think what you need to be more concerned with is driving a full 5 LSi speaker configuration with this AVR.

    Just my thoughts hopefully someone here that has tried this speaker config. with the 2700 can give you more first hand info.

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    320

    Default

    From what I understand about biamping speakers....you first need a speaker that can be biamped. The lsi15 can be. Second there is a metal piece that connects both of the red jacks and both of the black jacks. When you remove this piece then each set of inputs goes into different speakers. Generally the upper set powers mids and highs and the lower set powers bass. If you have one amp powering mids and highs and another amp powering bass then it is less frequency range that each amp has deal with. This is supposed to result in a more accurate amplification. From what I have read this is noticeable on very high end systems. For your and my systems it probably is not worth it. Plus on the yamaha you use the presence channel for biamping and remember this is not a 4 ohm output.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    so is the 2700 only able to drive 4ohm loads on the mains?

    I must have missed that in the info or was assumming it could drive 4 ohms on all segments.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    on a slightly different note...

    I also have (4) rt-3000p tower sets and the associated large 1000 center
    which I purchased but never used. Are these easier to drive?

    I didn't know which set up I would like so I bought both.
    I haven't gotten around to hooking anything up yet. But have a whole room full of gear.

    I think Fridays the day.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperACR View Post
    on a slightly different note...

    I also have (4) rt-3000p tower sets and the associated large 1000 center
    which I purchased but never used. Are these easier to drive?

    I didn't know which set up I would like so I bought both.
    I haven't gotten around to hooking anything up yet. But have a whole room full of gear.

    I think Fridays the day.

    Yes those speakers rt-3000 and CS1000 are 8 ohm speakers, and pretty efficient speakers that the 2700 would drive with ease and should sound very good while doing it.

    Yes from what Hobbyguy, an owner said, only the mains are spec'd to drive 4 ohm speakers on the 2700. I know it is this way on my 663 as well.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thanks all

    I better get that manual back out!

    I have to get going my Hsu VTF-3 MK3 sub came in today and i have to try and carry that heavy bitch upstairs tonight. Should be fun

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e
    Posts
    11,454

    Default

    apphd,

    Is right, most mid-higher end Yamahas, especially higher end models, can drive 2 fronts at 4 ohms. But that reserve power is diminished when driving a full set of surrounds. So as pointed out above, be careful what you're driving.

    cnh

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Thats right. Yamaha 2700 only has 4 ohm output to mains, other outputs are 6 or 8 ohm. Just wait until you plug that sub into the pre-sub output...it will rock your house. I bought a sub from Nick here and it makes a HUGE difference for HT.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help LSIs here I come
    By christnroc in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM
  2. Need Help Polk lsi 15 and SDA-1B Yamaha RX-V2700
    By Hobbyguy in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
  3. FS: Yamaha RX-V2700 & DVD-S2700
    By jephdood in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 04:19 AM
  4. Yamaha RX-V2700 for $150?
    By JoshParsons84 in forum Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
  5. VSX-84TXSi vs AVR-745 vs RX-V2700
    By Polk & H/K in forum Electronics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts