Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Thumbs down Big Bird and Elmo may be in the unemployment line soon

Sesame Workshop announces layoffs

NEW YORK (AP) - Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit producer of "Sesame Street" and other kids' programs, says it's cutting 20 percent of its work force because of the recession.

The company says it's eliminating 67 of 355 staff positions.

Best known as the home of such characters as Big Bird and Elmo, Sesame Workshop was founded in 1968 and debuted "Sesame Street" a year later. That series, which remains on the air, grew into a production empire including TV, books and online programing.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Well no one is safe, I suppose. I wonder when unemployment statistics will be reported 'honestly'. There are far more people out of work than were/are on the payrolls. I suspect real numbers are already well into the 2 digit number nationally. Possibly 13-14 percent!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Well no one is safe, I suppose. I wonder when unemployment statistics will be reported 'honestly'. There are far more people out of work than were/are on the payrolls. I suspect real numbers are already well into the 2 digit number nationally. Possibly 13-14 percent!

cnh
    Completely biased view!

They "National" survey is conducted from a phone company calling people with home lines. It doesn't take into account people that are working for themselves or on the side. I read somewhere recently that the survey is completely skewed as it is!

Enough with the numbers. If you want a job, go out and get one. There are plenty of places that will hire the best and if you aren't the best... why not? This is America. We can all be the best, it just takes hard work.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D :D :D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier
    Samsung 3600 BluRay Player

Life is Good!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'm actually looking to sell my LS-90s to try and raise some money to have me achieve one of my dreams! It IS a really scary time though. I watch CNBC and sometimes think it may not recover from this... just a really dark time.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

graph from John Williams.
    Chart of U.S. Unemployment
    The SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated "discouraged workers" defined away during the Clinton Administration added to the existing BLS estimates of level U-6 unemployment.

If you can't read the graph, it says: Cookie Monster will be next.
    Last edited by SKsolutions; 03-11-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    -Ignorance is strength -

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    Completely biased view!

They "National" survey is conducted from a phone company calling people with home lines. It doesn't take into account people that are working for themselves or on the side. I read somewhere recently that the survey is completely skewed as it is!

Enough with the numbers. If you want a job, go out and get one. There are plenty of places that will hire the best and if you aren't the best... why not? This is America. We can all be the best, it just takes hard work.
    There are economists who think the numbers are higher than reported. Not my view alone. I happened to be employed in an area that's pretty recession proof. But I come from a working class background in Pa. where things are really, really bad. And people are looking...in all of our job searches here. We've had an average of 300 applicants per job. At least half of those are eminently qualified?

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Man, that graph shows some good times ahead..........
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by SKsolutions View Post
    graph from John Williams.
    Chart of U.S. Unemployment
    The SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated "discouraged workers" defined away during the Clinton Administration added to the existing BLS estimates of level U-6 unemployment.

If you can't read the graph, it says: Cookie Monster will be next.
    Nice graph. Helps us not be in 'denial' about where we are. I've been on job searches and it's horrible for people out there as we sit here and read these files. You have to have some compassion for them.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (12)

big bird's an overstuffed turkey and miss piggy ain't nothin but bacon waiting to be cooked:p

Member Sales Rating: (5)

One of the news program and news radio was reporting the unemployment numbers with a caveat. The unemployment numbers were based on people actually on unemployment benefits and did not reflect those whose benefits have expired.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    big bird's an overstuffed turkey and miss piggy ain't nothin but bacon waiting to be cooked:p
    Uh. Miss Piggy is not from Sesame Street-she's from the Muppets.
    Sheesh

Member Sales Rating: (12)

she's still a porker, and she has popped up on the muppets trying to get that stupid frog to change her oil....

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post
    One of the news program and news radio was reporting the unemployment numbers with a caveat. The unemployment numbers were based on people actually on unemployment benefits and did not reflect those whose benefits have expired.
    It also does not reflect the self employed or contracted folks either that can't get unemployment benefits.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Big Bird? Elmo? f$%K em, worthless shiftless layabouts that they are!
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Am I mistaken or does PBS programs like Sesame Street rely on donations to fund/pay for their programs. I mean I know SS is every where but the program itself is funded on donations right?

If so I would expect more layoffs in the future, especially when they start cutting back on tax related donation write offs.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png

Member Sales Rating: (11)

it's going to be tough watching Big Bird walking down the street on down oh his/her luck.. that's a sight no one should have to see.. especially not the children. :p

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Elmo ambushed me today. . waving a squeegee wildly, demanding a dollar to do my windshield. I tried to bribe him with a cookie, and he told me I had the wrong guy.
    -Ignorance is strength -

Thread Information