Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Member Sales Rating: (13)

So I had an opportunity to listen to Audion Black Shadow mono blocks which use the 845 tube. They are SET amps with 25 wpc. They totally outclassed my XA30.5 and I would hope so at $14,000!

I've never heard the Tylers sound this good before. The black shadows basically did everything better except in one area. First off, instruments sounded more realistic. There was more resolution, depth, more separation between the different instruments, and so on....

The only place they started to run out of gas was when I listened to the Gladiator soundtrack, "The Might of Rome," which is a very powerful classical music piece.

They look friggin gorgeous to boot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg‎
Views:	111
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	81189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg‎
Views:	123
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	81190  

Well I decided to pull the trigger on tube mono blocks, Coincident Dragons MK I. They are 75 wpc. I found a used pair on audiogon that should arrive next week. More to come...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	211pp-DragonSM-Front.jpg‎
Views:	90
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	81676   Click image for larger version

Name:	211pp-DragonLG-angl.jpg‎
Views:	69
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	81675  

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sweet man. Let us know how it goes. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Black Shadows.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

The Dragons arrived and damn they sound good. I'm still adjusting to the new sound and getting everything dialed in (had to re-calibrate the sub).

The first thing I noticed is that I had to the turn the volume way up to get the same db as before. The second thing I noticed is that these are sooo smooth, that I could be listening at very high volumes and not even notice how loud it is. These are more linear/flat than the Pass Labs amp. The pass amp had a slight upper bass hump, which I liked, so now my ears are adjusting to no hump. There is more texture to sounds and a slight warm glow to the music. Overall, I'd say they are an improvement over the xa30.5. Probably not in the Summer though- these fat Shuguang 211 tubes run hot! I'm looking to replace them with some Psvane 211 tubes. The manufacture says these will sound better, run a little cooler, and more reliable.

Just for kicks, I hooked the Dragons to the monitors and the Pass amp to the bass modules (my linbrooks are the 2-peice system) to hear how that would sound. I thought it was a good idea, but it didn't work out. I had to use the XLR outputs on the dac for the Pass amp and this gave it a +6 db boost, so it didn't sound right because the bass was way overpowering. Maybe I'll try this again later with my preamp in the mix, so that I won't have to use the XLR's.

I'll take some pics soon.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

i was going to suggest these http://angelcityaudio.com/products/m...ve-hifi/pm845/ but see you have found your amps.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    i was going to suggest these http://angelcityaudio.com/products/m...ve-hifi/pm845/ but see you have found your amps.
    Do you really want to buy a tube amp from a company that can't even spell vacuum correctly? Name:  bat.gif
Views: 288
Size:  10.4 KB
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by decal View Post
    Do you really want to buy a tube amp from a company that can't even spell vacuum correctly? Attachment 82411
    Heck, the guys at Bat can barely speak english, doubt they could spell much better too. Wouldn't stop me from owning anything they make.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

in their case, yes....google.
    Main system
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pin&1162599347 Freelance reviewer for StereoMojo

Great write up. Looking forward to seeing some pics. So you're going back to the Pass amps during the summer?
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thanks for the suggestion Marv- those mono blocks look like they would be fun to try out.

Organ- I can't afford to keep both the Pass and Dragons, so I'll be selling the Pass soon. I just wish the Dragons weren't so hot.

The pass has been a stellar amp and I'll be sad to see it go. Might shed a tear or two. ha ha

For those puppies to kick the Pass to the curb, thats a darn good achievement for those Dragons. Congrats man, your system gets better and better. Any chance of a Karma on the Pass ? If so, in with 69......

Lol, that's funny

Member Sales Rating: (26)

I don't see what's funny about it. In with #3.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    I don't see what's funny about it. In with #3.

Tom
    I have a better idea. Lets trade your you new highly modified, Balls out Linbrooks for the Pass amp

Member Sales Rating: (26)

No pun intended but I'll "Pass" on that one.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Update: I've been using the Coincident Dragon tube mono blocks for 3 months now and came to a realization: I miss the slam, weight, and bass that I had with the Pass Labs xa30.5. The dragons surpass the pass in dimensionality and texture, but they just don't have the same wallop that is needed to make music sound realistic. For example listening to a well recorded live cd, don't sound real with the Dragons, but they did with the Pass. In my system the Dragons excel with small scale music, like acoustical or jazz. Here they sound scary real. I suppose it comes down to system synergy and listening preferences.

So, I decided to put up the Dragons for sale and will be getting another XA30.5 or XA60.5's if I can swing it. I'm also considering a Luxman M-600a.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

There is a pair of xa60.5 available lol

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sol...plifiers-94022

Member Sales Rating: (5)

SET amps do have that midrange magic that no other type of amp will touch, but they are a little soft on the edges.

I have been using a KT88 based Push/Pull (PP) VAC amp with 100 watts per channel that provides plenty of that tube midrange, but I also have well defined bass (slam when needed) and beautiful extended highs. Don't completely write off tube amps, you have just experienced the pleasure and the pain of SET amps. I love their sound, but like the Sirens of Mythology they lure you in and then.......

Pass amps are excellent, but see if you can get your ears on a quality PP topology tube amp with some decent watts. You might find your euphoria exists somewhere between the Class A solid state and your present SET setup.

Rick

ps: the VAC might even sound better soon with this Audience PC I picked up from someone .........
    pre VAC Standard LE, power VAC PA100/100 phi upgrade, analog Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c, Benz Ebony H, digital Lector 0.6t, speakers Thiel CS2.4, Rel Strata III, cables Audience AU24 e IC, Audience AU24 e SC, power Audience aR1p, Audience aR2p, Audience PowerCord e

Quote Originally Posted by brianle View Post
    There is a pair of xa60.5 available lol

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sol...plifiers-94022
    Thanks I saw that. I asked the seller if he would be interested in a trade, but he declined.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor r View Post
    SET amps do have that midrange magic that no other type of amp will touch, but they are a little soft on the edges.

I have been using a KT88 based Push/Pull (PP) VAC amp with 100 watts per channel that provides plenty of that tube midrange, but I also have well defined bass (slam when needed) and beautiful extended highs. Don't completely write off tube amps, you have just experienced the pleasure and the pain of SET amps. I love their sound, but like the Sirens of Mythology they lure you in and then.......

Pass amps are excellent, but see if you can get your ears on a quality PP topology tube amp with some decent watts. You might find your euphoria exists somewhere between the Class A solid state and your present SET setup.

Rick

ps: the VAC might even sound better soon with this Audience PC I picked up from someone .........
    Yes, I want the best of both worlds and haven't found it yet. Another factor is that my JL Audio F110 sub has a blown amp and so I've been limping along w/out my sub. It really adds a lot in terms of bass and weight. I think I'll get that fixed before deciding on which amp to get.

About the Audience power cord, when I first got my tube mono blocks I was powering them with Pangea AC-9 power cords and it sounded like the music was "stuck" to the speaker, but when I tried them with Audience powerchords, the soundstage totally expanded several feet from the speaker. Everything opened up and expanded. Looks like I'm preaching to the choir, after reading what equipment you have.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

It's all in the journey. I would definitely get the JL sub in working order. That could end this entire discussion.
    pre VAC Standard LE, power VAC PA100/100 phi upgrade, analog Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c, Benz Ebony H, digital Lector 0.6t, speakers Thiel CS2.4, Rel Strata III, cables Audience AU24 e IC, Audience AU24 e SC, power Audience aR1p, Audience aR2p, Audience PowerCord e

Quote Originally Posted by Ern Dog View Post
    Well I decided to pull the trigger on tube mono blocks, Coincident Dragons MK I. They are 75 wpc. I found a used pair on audiogon that should arrive next week. More to come...
    Ern..

I heard a full Coincident system and was blown away by the sound. What is your opinion?

(I know this is an old post but this what came up in a search for Coincident)
    Adcom GFP-750, Adcom GFR-700, Adcom GFA-5802, Jolida JD100, polk LSi15, polk LSiC, polk LSiFX, Velodyne Impact 12, APC H15, Sony KDL-60EX500, Sony BDP-S570, Pangea, MIT

Thread Information