Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Angry stolen stereo gear, or other property and the law

Being in the media I learn some interesting things now and then.

Today I found out that should a person get anything stolen from them and it's recovered by the police.. it's tough to prove it belongs to them. It may even be given back to the thief who stole if from you by the police themselves.

Say for instance someone breaks into my home and steals a NAD amp from me. I have the receipt and can prove it's mine, right??? Not exactly. The receipt only proves how much I paid for it and when. It does not prove it belongs to me.

So you're saying ok Mr. smartass, why would the police not believe the NAD amp is mine? Without the serial number of the amp, the police will not release it to me. (At least where I live, your local authorities may have different policies).

Here is the part that pissed me off.

Say for instance you have a "smart" thief, (I know oxymoron). Said thief decides to write down on paper and keep the serial numbers of all stuff he's stolen, including my NAD amp.
    If no one claims and can PROVE that NAD amp is mine after 45 days.. if the "smart" thief with your serial numbers has the serial numbers in his posession, the police will release it to him. Because he has "proof" with the correct serial number that he is the owner of my NAD amp.. and I'm screwed.

It's a loophole in the law.. and it SUCKS! Sucks that a thief could steal something from me, get caught, do time or not, and in the end if he was smart enough to write down serial numbers of stolen loot, could in the end still end up with the stolen stereo gear legally.

So keep serial numbers and photographs of all your valuables. I admit I don't do a good job of it. I will now though.

Great advice DB...this is news to me. Thanks for the heads up.

I do usually try to keep records of that stuff. I always write down the serial numbers of my stuff in the owners manuals and I have all of the owners manuals for my various electronics/appliances in a file/folder in my closet. I don't have pictures of all of it though...might have to do that sometime soon.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Wow, I had no idea that could all go down like that. I would hope the "smart" thieves decide to go after a bigger haul (more value, less weight) then someones audio equipment.
    Definitely a good idea though; to keep photos of all your more valuable possessions for proof in case of fire or theft. Probably best to keep them uploaded somewhere online too, even as attachments in an email to yourself or a private gallery so nobody else has access.

If you really want to be anal, take new pics every week featuring yourself beside said item and holding up a current newspaper. :D

Member Sales Rating: (26)

An alarm system, recorded video, along with great relations with the neighbors and a big ass double barrel shotgun will prevent this situation from happening to begin with.

The advice is golden, nonetheless.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    An alarm system, recorded video, along with great relations with the neighbors and a big ass double barrel shotgun will prevent this situation from happening to begin with.

The advice is golden, nonetheless.
    I have a security system of my own. An 80 pound Pit Bull. He's the friendliest, sweetest dog in the world 99.9% of the time...but if someone were to break in my house while I'm not there, I don't think friendly would really come anywhere near close to describing it. People think twice about breaking into a house when they see a Pit Bull staring at them from the other side of the door...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy View Post
    ... So keep serial numbers and photographs of all your valuables. I admit I don't do a good job of it. I will now though.
    I can't say that I'm exactly surprised. It may vary from state to state of course. In fact, as soon as I saw the title of the thread, with the words "stolen" and "law" I suspected exactly where you were going with this.

Unfortunately, I too am not good about serial numbers and/or photographs. We live in a quiet neighborhood (yeah right! In L.A.?! ... No, but it's true ... really!) and we do have a dog that sounds, and looks very wicked and ferocious. Come to think of it, my wife can be very threatening too ... she's very sporty that way and I'm convinced she'd K.O. any intruder before I would even know what's going on. And yes, she's been know to splat tough guys before on more than one occasion!

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

I'm real sorry to hear of the theft DB. Thanks for at least trying to make a positive out of it by warning others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I'm real sorry to hear of the theft DB. Thanks for at least trying to make a positive out of it by warning others.
    umm.. i didn't have anything stolen.. this was just a scenario, what if..

but thanks for your concern ;)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    I have a security system of my own. An 80 pound Pit Bull. He's the friendliest, sweetest dog in the world 99.9% of the time...but if someone were to break in my house while I'm not there, I don't think friendly would really come anywhere near close to describing it. People think twice about breaking into a house when they see a Pit Bull staring at them from the other side of the door...lol
    I have 6 Pomeranians. Trained to kill. :p

Miss Mele Aloha is known for chewing the toes off of perpetrators.

that is one vicious looking four legged creature. I would not want to meet up with face to face. :p

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Well. ****. Where's a dunce cap?

btw: cute puppy.

Cute dog there. I definitely wouldn't wanna scrap with him! One of my ex-girlfriend had some Pom's...they're cool little dogs.

It looks like your dog is roughly the size of my dogs neck though.:p I'm sure he'd get his ass kicked by your Pom though. My two cats gang up on him all the time and usually come out on top...I don't think he's really trying to hard though...lol

Here's Kymani at about 9 months old. He's almost a year and a half now...and has grown considerably since this picture.

He's my security system...None of my gears going anywhere as long as he's around.;)
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 03-27-2009 at 02:59 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    I can't say that I'm exactly surprised. It may vary from state to state of course. In fact, as soon as I saw the title of the thread, with the words "stolen" and "law" I suspected exactly where you were going with this.

Unfortunately, I too am not good about serial numbers and/or photographs. We live in a quiet neighborhood (yeah right! In L.A.?! ... No, but it's true ... really!) and we do have a dog that sounds, and looks very wicked and ferocious. Come to think of it, my wife can be very threatening too ... she's very sporty that way and I'm convinced she'd K.O. any intruder before I would even know what's going on. And yes, she's been know to splat tough guys before on more than one occasion!
    Where in LA are you? I was thinking of getting together with any and all Polkies in the LA area. Norm Apter already promised to catch a dinner with me sometime in May or June. Wanna join?

Btw, your pm box is full so I couldn't pm you. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Well. ****. Where's a dunce cap?

btw: cute puppy.
    I've been wearing it since the Emotiva Story thread. You get it now. :o ;)

And thanks. She's almost all grown up now and is definitely a daddies girl.
    Mele's really helped my Wife and I cope with the loss of our Keiko.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I'd REALLY hate to see what the result was.
    Luckily COMMON SENSE hasn't died down here.......Yet.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Good advice db. S/N and photos also good for insurance (fire/theft/flood etc). As an added step you may also wish to put the last 4 digits of your ssn in an inconspicuous location, where a thief will not see it, but you know it's there for id purposes. i.e. remove butt plate or grips on firearms and mark it there. Electronics can be tougher but be creative, any removable decorative trim, rubber feet, bottom side of a CD/DVD tray, etc.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I etch my initials on the back of my electronics for this reason. Sometimes, I include the date of purchase. Sure it degrades the cosmetics, but it is the back, so I don't really care.

I take pics of the item and a close up of the serial # save it on a file on my computer back it up on my external hard drive then burn it on a disc and put it on file with my insurance co. Also I will take a cover off and put my name and DL # inside so there is no doubt it is mine. Then when I sell it I call the po po and report it stolden and get it back, Just kidding!

Member Sales Rating: (14)

So this hasn't happened to you... has it happeend to anyone? Ever? I mean, honestly. It's one thing to be careful with your stuff and insurance but unless you have some kind of evidence of this actually occurring I can't imagine any reasonable LEO/judge letting a thief keep your stuff after he's been caught just because of faulty record-keeping.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

yep happened to a friend of mine, got his house broke into and stuff stolden. He found his stuff on CL and told the Police and they said without proof the stuff was his they would not do anything. Thats why I go to such effort to prevent this.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Ive always taken pictures in the event someone gets by my security system....
    Attached Images  
    Life without music would

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Just an FYI - ever hear of police confiscated and stolen property auctions? There is more than one reason law enforcement agencies have a high burden of proof of ownership for you to get your property back.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Stolen gear??? PFFFT !! Nuthin' a 9 mm can't handle.If they get by the dogs first and the trip wire with grenades attached.

You guys don't have the hi-res .wav file of a 12 guage pump shotgun racking that plays whenever your intrusion detectors go off?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Quote Originally Posted by dkg999 View Post
    You guys don't have the hi-res .wav file of a 12 guage pump shotgun racking that plays whenever your intrusion detectors go off?
    Naw...I have the one of the wife screaming her head off,thats enough to scare away the most harden of criminals.:p

I'd be paying said thief an "after hours" visit if it really came down to him getting my sh1t that I worked hard to pay for b/c "that's the rules" according to the police...And it wouldn't be to bring cupcakes or welcome him to the neighborhood...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    He's my security system...None of my gears going anywhere as long as he's around.;)
    My Grandpa and Grandma used to live in a nasty area of Saginaw. They got two trained pit-bulls to protect their property, as they got broken into every time they left the house.

Didn't work, the theives just sprayed neon orange paint in the two dogs eyes. Amazing how effective that is. Those dogs cowered whenever anyone came near after that.

Dogs are pretty ineffective as a security means. They are like locks on doors, they keep honest people honest and scare off the theives looking for an easy score. Spray paint, pepper spray, a nice fresh steak, etc., many ways to neutralize the threat.
    DKG999

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    My Grandpa and Grandma used to live in a nasty area of Saginaw. They got two trained pit-bulls to protect their property, as they got broken into every time they left the house.

Didn't work, the theives just sprayed neon orange paint in the two dogs eyes. Amazing how effective that is. Those dogs cowered whenever anyone came near after that.
    Bastards, I'd like to run across them and spray paint in their eyes. Maybe rub some course salt in there to. Kick em' in the balls, crack their heads. I hate a damned thief and anyone that would do harm to an animal like that.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Doesn't the Police report have the Thief's address on it?

Go Steal it back or pay some crack head $50 to steal back.

Or what I would do is wait for the little punk and run him down with my car!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Thread Information