Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Home theater recommendations

I am currently building my home theater setup, new from scratch, in Germany.

I am doing this from Iraq but I will return in November and I want a nice system for around $2000 (what wifey said I could spend)

I have had previous home theater systems:

Harmon/Kardon AVR325 with Infinity Reference Speakers about $5000 for the whole setup but that is in the states and outdated for Blu-Ray.

My living room is rather large with high vaulted ceilings so I definitely need floorstanding w/ bookshelf surrounds.

What I Have:

JVC 40" LCD capable of 1080P...I'm an audiophile video is not as important
    PS3, 80gb
    PAL DVD player (for German movies)
    Satellite receiver

What I am looking at:

Denon AVR1909 Receiver or HK AVR254 (The Denon is getting better reviews for what I plan to do)
    Polk TSi300 Floorstanding x2
    Polk TSi100 Bookshelf x2
    Polk CS10 Center
    Polk PSW110 Sub or Velodyne DPS10/12 (I have a Velodyne 15" for my other system and it is amazing)
    Polk Atrium50 x2...for outside, obviously

I know the value of good wiring so I am going with premium Monster Cable for everything.

If you guys have any ideas that could help then feel free to let me know, also keep in mind that I can't go too big on speakers as my brother in law lives next door (it's a large duplex apartment and our living rooms are seperated by one wall).

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by oifvet0608 View Post

I know the value of good wiring so I am going with premium Monster Cable for everything.

If you guys have any ideas that could help then feel free to let me know, also keep in mind that I can't go too big on speakers as my brother in law lives next door (it's a large duplex apartment and our living rooms are seperated by one wall).
    I am assuming that you are military, since you are in Iraq and then going to Germany. If you could get a really super deal on Monster cable through the PX or something, that might be the way to go, but otherwise you could do better for less $$$. Monster is thin wire in a thick jacket to make you think you are getting better quality. Lots of effective marketing and not much substance otherwise. Check out monoprice.com for better quality wires at a much better price. Whether they will ship overseas, I don't know. Maybe APO? (Just looked at their website, they state "APO/FPO Welcome!"). I use their CL2 rated (in-wall rated) 12 awg for speaker wire. They have some interconnects, too, I believe, that are not crappy, altho not high end, either. Most anyone here would tell you that that is a better way to go than monster cable, in fact I am shocked that with over 20 views of your thread, I am the first to comment on this!

As far as the speakers are concerned, I will let others with more experience chime in to help you there. Good luck, and welcome to the Club.

And thank you for your service.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it. All this stuff I am going to order from anyone that will ship to an actual address in Germany so no APO shipping but some retailers I am looking at for this stuff are in Germany so I might have alot of driving to do when I go on leave.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Sounds like you're going to be putting together a good system there.

A couple recommendations...

First, I'd go with the CS20 center over the CS10. The center channel carries over 50% of a movies soundtrack in a home theater setup, so it's a very crucial component. A bigger center channel would make a huge difference, and would match up a lot better with the TSi300's.

Personally, I'd skip the Monster Cable. Their products are decent, but are very over priced. You're paying for the name more than the product. I'd check into http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp, http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm or http://www.signalcable.com/. They all have high quality products at much more reasonable prices. If you go with Signal Cable, make sure to mention that you're a Club Polk member for a little discount.;)

You might also consider using some of that money that you've now saved on cabling to go with a better sub. You said you have a fairly large room, so a bigger sub would make a big difference. Of the two that you listed, I'd go with the Velo though. Until Polk came out with the newer DSW series subs, they weren't to widely acclaimed for their subwoofers. If you prefer to stick with polk, look into the PSW505, which is an older model and can be had pretty cheap now, around 300-350 dollars. Also look into the DSW series.

You might also want to look into SVS subs. They have some very nice subs at reasonable prices. http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

By the way, welcome to Club Polk!:D
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (12)

I agree with everyone on the monster cable. I would also look into the tsi200 for the surrounds. does anybody know if polk direct will ship to apo/fpo... I know their site says u.s. only... If they will ship APO/FPO you could save more money and maybe look at a nicer AVR...

One more thing... THANK YOU and your family for your service to our Country!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by oifvet0608 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it. All this stuff I am going to order from anyone that will ship to an actual address in Germany so no APO shipping but some retailers I am looking at for this stuff are in Germany so I might have alot of driving to do when I go on leave.
    Any chance you can have a friend use their APO address? I think you would find a lot more places that ship to an APO than a street address. Lots of different manufactures available to you in Euroland so maybe a tour when on leave visiting various audio shops would be fun:) I might also mention that some emails to dealers that say they will not ship overseas and you may get a different answer, many are glad and proud to bend the rules a little for service men and woman, doesn't hurt to ask.

I also would like to welcome you to CP and say thank you for your service to our country.

I have decided to go with the CS20, thanks curt you brought up a good point. As for the cabling I have decided to go to the Media Markt (German Best Buy) when I get home, they carry good stuff. I have also decided to get a Velodyne 12" over the Polk because I remember their track record, I remember the 505 from when I was selling audio and it had a decent sound but it was not nearly as crisp and responsive as the Velo's (I have a 15" Velo that rocks the block). For the rears I think I'm going to stick with the 100's...they are going to be close to the couch so I don't need much and I will be listening to alot of music on this system so the front's are more important. I contacted Polk with hopes that they get back to me soon about the shipping issue, hopefully they can accomodate me because other than Infinity's (big time HK fan), Polk sounds the best for my price range.

I appreciate your thanks, it really means alot to me. Jay

Velo does subs right that's for sure. Good luck with the shipping, I'm sure Polk will do what they can. Sounds like it will be a nice sys. away from sys. so to speak. Enjoy!
    Hope you have time to check back in now and then, sounds like you would fit in well here and have some good knowlegde to share with CP.

I found this link for you with regards to the speakers you asked about. let me know if this helps...

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1553&sc=32

Thanks noosh, you're a lifesaver. Hopefully they will ship to me.

Default check these out....

this is a great buy for you and will be much nicer sounding than what you are looking at currentl and is well within budget..

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....5--a1---csi-a4

Quote Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post
    this is a great buy for you and will be much nicer sounding than what you are looking at currentl and is well within budget..

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....5--a1---csi-a4
    Don't walk...RUN and get that. That's a killer deal.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Remeber guys he's in Germany.

This : "Ship to USA only" kind of kills this deal for him. Or is he shopping for his state side rig as well?

for the price it could be shipped to his family and they could forward it to him and still save money...
    hell for that price I just submitted an offer.... if I win, I will happily ship it to him... or not?
    Last edited by nooshinjohn; 04-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Default need a new receiver

got 4 slx on wall klipsch2 klipsch b2 bookself1 c1 klipsch centerpolk 125 sub

Quote Originally Posted by jmatcha View Post
    got 4 slx on wall klipsch2 klipsch b2 bookself1 c1 klipsch centerpolk 125 sub

welcome to cp... btw please do not attempt to sell here before you reach the required number of posts, and then do so in the proper thread for such activities. Failure to comply will bring down the wrath of the POLK GOD

Seriously though... just read the rules and enjoy the club!:D

John-I don't think he was trying to sell those, but looking for advice on a new receiver.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

I may have misunderstood his post... as in this one we are talking about buying speakers:o

I should have said something about thread jumping as well then...

I checked that post, he said he sold them...I also looked and AAFES (Army Exchange) sells Polk, Infinity, JBL, HK, Onkyo and Denon. I might be able to find what I am looking for there. I just don't know if they sell the better quality speakers, I can get the good receivers from them though.

Thread Information