Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

At a comfortable distance.... gaining perspective

Default Bob C's new tube mono's

I know Bob's gotten some bad press on this forum but.....I hope you'll agree that these new versions of his ultimate tube amps are impressive looking, regardless of watts,specs or any other judging criteria that they may fall short on. If I had 50K or so laying around, I'd be tempted....although I think I'd opt for the classic black finish. Fat Chance !!!:(

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=37&t=7876

Member Sales Rating: (28)

50k?

I'm sure the wires being used make them sound great. Oh, and don't forget the power cords and strip

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

That figure is just a guess,the original ones of the lesser series sold for around that (Silver7s-50 pairs). There were only four pairs of these made back then. (I think)

Yes, probably 50K is a bit high. That post # 2 does look as if written by a troublemaker....that was really not the intention.

They do look impressive (but my comment on cables and power stands ;))

SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Oddly enough....Bob's firmly in the "wire is wire" camp ! Who'da thunk ??

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Yeah, that kinda surprised me when he told us that. We'll get him to sit down and listen to some rigs with standard "wires" and then replace the entire rig with the good stuff and then I'll ask him the same question again. ;)
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The real beauty in that picture is the imag amp hge is developing for Sunfire and tuning it to sound like the tubed amp.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I agree, I love the zip cord and cable management.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Oh, one more thing. Just the candy apple red paint job was around 3 or 4K. Apparently money wasn't a concern with these bad boys.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Did he have his car painted at the same time?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Oh, one more thing. Just the candy apple red paint job was around 3 or 4K. Apparently money wasn't a concern with these bad boys.
    Tom,

I do believe that figure is a little high for the paint job? :p Perhaps, the low 1K most? I could paint my whole house and the 200' fence in Candy Red for about 3 or 4K. :)
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Can't help thinking wires are melting when I see that picture.

SOPA

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Did he have his car painted at the same time?
    No, just the amps. Apparently when you are a multi-millionaire cost isn't that much of a concern.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

$50K seems like a very steep price for a "redo" if they are infact "exactly like" the Silver 9's. I'm sure they sound sweet and they certainly look the part..........but $50K is a bit much, IMHO for something that's already been created before.

I wish him good luck in marketing these............my guess is they are strictly for show and to be collectible for the very few who will get their hands on a pair.

I'd rather see him produce a couple reasonable models for mass consumption so many people can enjoy them rather than a very select few.

Perhaps those of you who actually talked to Bob might know this. I often wonder why he hasn't gone more along path of a Nelson Pass and continue to explore and make smaller runs of some of his greatest designs or pushing those designs into new territory. Pehaps he just didn't want to do it on a larger scale anymore. I would think something along the lines of Nelson's First Watt business model would fit right in with someone like Bob. Do enough to keep the hardcore people happy, not overwork yourself or worry about running the business and keep yourself happy continuing to do what you love........build cool stereo gear.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Those tube amps are not new. The were out about the same time as the Tube 7's I believe. The amp in front of it is a design unit for Sunfire that his tuning to the Tube 9's.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Heiney9, those amps are not for sale. Those are Bob's personal amps. I think the 50K remark was just a guess as I have never heard the actual cost of these since they never hit the market.

As for what he's doing now? Well he's still designing and consulting for Sunfire, he just opened up a new repair shop and the rest of his time is devoted to family and doing the one thing he loves.....building tube amps. This time out of his garage with no corporate BS to deal with. The amps he builds in his spare time he has been putting up for auction on E-Bay. I think at this point it's been about 7 or 8 amps now.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I see, thanks for filling me in.
    Last edited by heiney9; 04-03-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

That figure is just a guess,the original ones of the lesser series sold for around that
    Nope, they were around $20k for a pair.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information