Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Question Am I missing something here?

Hi Guys...
    Ok, I have been running the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 7x400 in my rig for a week now and so far everything sounds awesome.... for HT. For two channel, it seems that my older TFM-35 was more dynamic, with better, more controlled bass and crisper highs without being overly bright. The Sunfire on the other hand is a stellar performer in the HT environment but looses out in side by side comparison to the old Carver. I have tried using both current and voltage outputs for the mains and can barely detect a difference between the two.

My mains are Polk SDA-1c's for those that may not already know...
    does anyone have ideas as to what (if) the trouble is? I have already tripple verified all connections and everything is correct in that regard...:o

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Probably has to do with the Cinema Grand being designed for HT and sharing a lot of internals with five channels, and the TFM for music.
    Last edited by ND13; 04-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (60)

Quote Originally Posted by ND13 View Post
    Probably has to do withe the Cinema Grand being designed for HT and the TFM for music.
    Ding,ding,ding,ding...................

I believe we have a winner.
    2CH - Magnepan MGIIIA's, Rogue Audio Magnum 66 pre, Parasound HCA1200 MKII, Douglas Connection IC's and Cables, Oppo BDP-83SE

Main HT - Adcom GFA7400, Rti70, Csi40, Rti28, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Signal Cable Analog 2 IC's, Mitsubishi 65" DLP, M&K 1250 THX Sub, Knu Koncepts cables

Mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Rti8's, Athena 12" sub

I tend to agree with that... Any Sunfire folks have any ideas? I am tempted to bounce this amp and keep my Carver at this point....

GV#27

The two amps will have different circuit designs(topologies)therefore chances are there will be sonic differences.

Member Sales Rating: (26)

There are definite sonic differences between the two. I have owned many, many Carvers but I have yet to hear one Sunfire that impressed me sonically to the point of purchasing one. That's just me though. There are many fans of the Sunfire signature. They are however, mighty impressive in some applications.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Why couldn't you use both? Just use the TFM35 for L/R in both HT and 2 channel, with the Sunfire amp feeding the others.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjoe7 View Post
    Why couldn't you use both? Just use the TFM35 for L/R in both HT and 2 channel, with the Sunfire amp feeding the others.

I likthe idea on the surface of it anyway, but for the money I could just as well get a pair of Silver 7t's for the fronts, an A-753 for center/surround duty, and keep my tfm-35 for my rears. I am going to run it for another week or so before I pull the plug on it.

Default I may have found the trouble...

broken speaker banana plugs on my main right channel... seems al i was getting was intermittant connection for the stereo drivers. I will replace the connectors tommorrow

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default same but not the same...

I'm not going to compare Rotel with Carver, but I will say that I face a similar situation...

I have the RB985Mk II for Home theater. It's dynamic, it's loud, and it almost edges in some high-end sound; almost.

To round out a 7.1 setup, I bought a Rotel RB951 (Mk II also, I think)
    It's a two channel, 50-60 watts (don't remember), but for music, it wipes the floor with the "THX certified" 500+ watt HT amp.

I posted something similar a couple of weeks ago, and the board agrees in both cases. Two channel setups designed for good stereo sound, sound a lot better than Home Theater amps running in two channels.

Personally, I read the magazine reviews on the big Rotel before I bought it. I expected sweet, laid-back sound, no matter what I listened to.
    --Turns out my tastes, and apparently yours, are a bit more discernable.

Perhaps we should sell our automobiles to buy new amps? lol
    Last edited by LBrize; 04-08-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: to say more stuff

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Sunfire is not 2 channel HiFi for sure as a main 2 channel amp.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    Sunfire is not 2 channel HiFi for sure as a main 2 channel amp.
    Ben
    That is a very bold statement. I like it!:D

Member Sales Rating: (43)

EMO has taken a bit of a flogging, but for the price I would go EMO over anything in its price range. Take a look at the EMO xpa-2 in it's price range. I won't say it beats my Adcom 565's, but it is real close for normal speakers.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

I could possibly add some value to this thread if I weren't so old and lazy. I could do an experiment to get a better understanding of my equipment's ability, and provide one answer about Sunfire amps and music.

I have a Sunfire TGA-5400 in the HT room, and it is SUPPOSSED to be 800W/ch @4ohms. The rest of the HT is LSi15s and an LSiC. Sounds great, no complaints for either movies or music.

The living room 2 channel system has 2 Cambridge-Audio 840W amps in bridged mono running at 800w/ch. Sounds great, no complaints for music.

What I should do is bring the Sunfire into the living room and use it instead of the 840. Since the Sunfire has XLR inputs, the only thing differant in this experiment would be the amp.

Unfortunately, by the time Friday rolls around I am beat from working (great to have a job in this economy, but terrible since you need to do the work of 4), and have no desire to unhook and rewire this equipment. Still, it would be an interesting test, and maybe I will convince myself to take a few days off and try it.

nooshinjohn, I'm wondering what processor you have and what mode you are running in for 2 channel sound....?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    nooshinjohn, I'm wondering what processor you have and what mode you are running in for 2 channel sound....?
    still have my Yamaha RX-v861 performing the pre/pro duties, but when listening to music it is set to either pure direct or straight. Both settings pretty much bypass everything, except with the straight mode my sub still works... I want to get a rotel 1098 for a pre/pro but need to sell some gear first.

bump

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Hearing loss could be the problem. LOL Try direct mode or pure mode if it has it for 2 ch., also try the current taps. The 1C's I listened to on tube gear were great.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Call me prejudiced, but once you get used to the Carver TFM signature on 1Cs "normal" amps just don't sound right for music. The only thing that I liked as well or better was the Luxman and I tried a few. Haven't heard the Sunfire, but your reaction sounds just like mine. I'm sure tubes would be better than "tube-like", but that's for another day.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

I don't know what the issue might be; I've been using a Sunfire amp just like nooshinjohn's for biamping my AL-IIIs and I love the combo. I've heard the speakers with other Carver amps (x.xt, Bob Carver's new customs tube amps, TFM, etc.) and I can't say any of them trounced the Sunfire. To each his own.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Thread Information