Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Modify cabinet for Monitor 10's

I have two pair of Monitor 10's with the peerless tweeter. I am thinking about building a new cabinet style and was wondering ig any have tried doing this.

I want a very small footprint, less than 1 square foot. The internal volume of a stock cabinet is ~ 2.2 cubic feet. I was thinking of doing a tower style with a mid tweeter mid bass radiator configuration. I don't want it to be any more than 8-9 inches deep.

Since this is a PR system, would there be any loss in performance if I keep the internal volume the same, use the same drivers and crossover?

This will probably be the only way that I can keep these speakers. The wife wants me to downsize my collection. I plan on doing that, just build new, slim cabinets!!!!:D

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

You could try, but the result probably won't sound to good. The cabinet was designed to configure the drivers as is and altering it would change the sound. If you really like the classic Polk monitor sound, I would trade or sell the Monitor 10s for a pair of RTA speakers. Below is the RTA 11T; it has a small footprint and great sound.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

If the volume is the same you will be fine.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by ben62670 View Post
    If the volume is the same you will be fine.
    plus 1... Ben knows is shiznit

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    You could try, but the result probably won't sound to good. The cabinet was designed to configure the drivers as is and altering it would change the sound. If you really like the classic Polk monitor sound, I would trade or sell the Monitor 10s for a pair of RTA speakers. Below is the RTA 11T; it has a small footprint and great sound.

I agree.
    I have set of RTA 8T and couldn't be happier with the sound of these from a small package. Of course my 10b's still kick ass.

Ben, thanks for the reply. I think that i will try it our of some cheep material like chip board of ply wood just to be safe. i really need to change the footprint, or they must go.

Use 3/4 MDF. You can get it cheap enough at lowes. Have them cut it for you. They have a nice jig, and it only cost .25 for each cut after the first 2 free ones.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Just don't make the PR rear-firing. I have yet to hear one that performed realistically. Of course it all goes to taste and the room.

Give us an idea of what you're thinking, design wise. I was just telling HB27, that I would have loved seeing the 10A/B/Cs redone with the MWs inline or MTM instead of side by side(which in many member's opinions smears the soundstage). Wonder how the PR would do down-firing. HMMMMM
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Well, I guess it is off to the drawing board. My wife will probably cringe when I tell her no one wants meo ship these beasts.

She is pretty understanding now that I have totally agreed to rid myself of all the 8 inch collection. . . . EPI 100iv, Infinity Ers, and Ads 570's. these were the only ones that I kept out of about 13 different brands.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

from what I understand you can alter the baffle height and depth of the cabinet but baffle width and driver orientation, both their position on the baffle and distances from each other, are all part of the speaker/crossover design. Change anything and the crossover would have to be redesigned.

Polk made them that way for a reason.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg View Post
    from what I understand you can alter the baffle height and depth of the cabinet but baffle width and driver orientation, both their position on the baffle and distances from each other, are all part of the speaker/crossover design. Change anything and the crossover would have to be redesigned.

Guess that's the reason the Mon 7s kick their ass in everything but bass and spl.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Since I have two pairs, I think that i will go ahead an make the modifications. If one outperforms the other, i guess i will have to get rid of them both, The wife wants a clean appearence in our new house. I have told her Bose is out of the question.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by ND13 View Post
    Guess that's the reason the Mon 7s kick their ass in everything but bass and spl.
    I have no idea... :o I've never heard any vintage polks. I was just talking about altering speaker designs in general.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg View Post

You would think that would be true, but the XO's are nearly the same in many models that share the same drivers

No can do down firing PRs with the Polk's. The suspension is way to compliant, and the PR would settle to full extension in no time.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information