Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Blueray player as CD player

Hey, Guy's What Blueray player does a very good job as a CD play?
    Am I better off getting a dedicated CD player and Blueray player
    or is their a player that is very good at doing both.

I was looking at the Pioneer BDP-09FD /Oppo Blueray player
    any recomendations?

Member Sales Rating: (25)

i personally have gone with a dedicated cd player, the Creek CD 60 and left my blu-ray player, sony s550 to take care of movies.

Member Sales Rating: (60)

I personally would keep them separate. Except for maybe the Cambridge I've never really liked an all-in-one or Blu-ray for cd playback.
    2CH - Magnepan MGIIIA's, Rogue Audio Magnum 66 pre, Parasound HCA1200 MKII, Douglas Connection IC's and Cables, Oppo BDP-83SE

Main HT - Adcom GFA7400, Rti70, Csi40, Rti28, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Signal Cable Analog 2 IC's, Mitsubishi 65" DLP, M&K 1250 THX Sub, Knu Koncepts cables

Mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Rti8's, Athena 12" sub

When i changed from my Denon 2900, (doing double duties), to a Sony S350, i did try. I ended up buying a denon dcd1500 for cd's, i found the 350 to be pretty inadequate for music.

YMMV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by starkiller View Post
    i personally have gone with a dedicated cd player, the Creek CD 60 and left my blu-ray player, sony s550 to take care of movies.
    Maybe the New Oppo Blu-ray player will be the ticket;)
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

ok I think I will narrow it down to the Oppo Blue ray player and the Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD.

anyone know how many wolfson dacs are on the Pioneer? I didn't even know
    this was comming till i saw a few people posting...
    I am still thinking to go seperate though.

edit: found out it uses 4 wolfson WM8740 DAC's
    Last edited by Pedler; 04-11-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedler View Post
    ok I think I will narrow it down to the Oppo Blue ray player and the Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD.

anyone know how many wolfson dacs are on the Pioneer? I didn't even know
    this was comming till i saw a few people posting...
    I am still thinking to go seperate though.

edit: found out it uses 4 wolfson WM8740 DAC's
    In your first post you said you were looking for a BD player that did very well at CDs.

I guess the question is - what do you exactly mean by that?

If you want the BD player to serve as just a digital transport, then, I'd say that 23FD would do a job on par with just about any newer BD player, because it is simply functioning to read CDs and send the digital info to your avr, which will be asked to do the final D/A conversion to your speakers.

If you mean that you want the BD player to both read the CD digital info AND do a first rate job of the D/A conversion for analog - then you may want to verify that the 23FD will have dedicated 2-channel analog outputs.

I may be wrong, but in my readings of the 23FD 'features' - it was loosing this capability as compared to its predecessor, the 51FD.

Instead, you would have to rely on its multi-channel 7.1 analog outputs for 2-channel CD listening.

fwiw

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    In your first post you said you were looking for a BD player that did very well at CDs.

I guess the question is - what do you exactly mean by that?

If you want the BD player to serve as just a digital transport, then, I'd say that 23FD would do a job on par with just about any newer BD player, because it is simply functioning to read CDs and send the digital info to your avr, which will be asked to do the final D/A conversion to your speakers.

If you mean that you want the BD player to both read the CD digital info AND do a first rate job of the D/A conversion for analog - then you may want to verify that the 23FD will have dedicated 2-channel analog outputs.

I may be wrong, but in my readings of the 23FD 'features' - it was loosing this capability as compared to its predecessor, the 51FD.

Instead, you would have to rely on its multi-channel 7.1 analog outputs for 2-channel CD listening.

fwiw

Yes, your right.. Thanks I missed that.:)

Basically I want my Blueray player to do double duty...
    I have two cd players I didn't spend a lot of money on them but I have found the new Dvd players (HDA3/PS3) that I have sound better than my old players. So I don't see the point in spending say $1000 on a cd player; to find out that the newer DVD players will sound as good. as an example my HK cd player I have, doesn't sound as good as my Sony PS3 ( This surprised me! as I paid about the same price and my PS3 does more things.)

I am not saying that I wouldn't mind going separates but it Seems the inclusion of the Wolfson DACs is a step up in the marketplace. for the Pioneer
    stuff. Then again the newer CD players are a lot better as well.

I also have a Pioneer sc-07 so I would be curios to know if using PQLS is better

Right now I am Information searching... So I will take all argument's for and against.:)

The Pioneer 23FD is it a step down or up from the -05FD? They market it as the step down from the -09 but... something doesn't seem right to me
    I almost think it is a step up in Video but a step down in audio... Any one else think so.

I posted this on another thread. I personally would wait till the new Oppo BDP-83 comes out which is a true universal player, it can play BD-Bluray, DVD-Video, AVCHD, SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD CD-R/RW, DVD R/RW, DVD R DL, BD-R/RE, the only other player that comes to mind that can do all that is the very expensive Denon that costs over $1500+ more and this Oppo will sell for around $499-$599 and it's built in CD player I heard uses the same technology as is in the very expensive Bryston CD player. It's upconverting technology for DVD's is the best on the market I believe.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...al-bluray.html

Basically this system has pretty much the same features as the Denon DVD-A1UDCI that costs $3000+ and this Oppo will sell for around $599.

Erik Tracy also said on another thread that Oppo uses the Cirrus Logic (aka "Crystal") CS4398 DACs -same one used in a Bryston CD player.

Checkout the Denon DVD-A1UDCI and compare it to the $599 Oppo. I don't see why Denon charges $3000+ for it.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...non-dvd-a1udci

I recently had a post along the same lines and received limited feedback. Some sugggested a Panny 55 (??) and others sugested the Pioneeer 51 (??). I ended up going with a dedicated CD player because I figured it would be my last CD player ever, and the model I bought can be used as a stand-alone DAC, because it has digital inputs, when I get a music server.

Not knowing what kind of receiver you're using, thhis may or may not be a good suggestion. But if you have a good DAC in your receiver you can run a digital signal to the AVR and bypass the Blu-Ray player's DAC. That approach allowed me to make use of the Burr-Brown Dacs in my Onk and just use my 5-year old DVD palyer as a transport.
    MAIN: Polk Lsi9s; Polk PSW505; Lsic (in box); Onkyo SR-875; Parasound 2250; Cambridge Audio 740C; LG BD370
    OFFICE: Polk Lsi7; REL T3; HK 3490; CA 840W; Onkyo C-S5VL
    BENCHED: CS20; OWM3s

Well, just to be fair, I would say none of us should get too wrapped up in what DACs are used where as there is more involved in what some call overall system 'synergy' - and of course, how each vendor has designed in DACs to their product.

But, yes, there could be instances where the avr has the better DACs than a dedicated BD player.

Yet I would hazard to say that if you want to *optimize* your CD music listening, then a higher end CDP with a superior analog output stage (DACs and op amps) would be your better choice, or a CD Transport with external DAC.

If your goal is to minimize components and get the best *bang* for your buck, then you may have to compromise a bit with a BD player and either look for one with a good analog output stage or pass it digital to your avr if it has the better DACs and analog output stage.

You really do have to understand the overall signal flow thru your system to eek out the best sonic goodness you can.

Enjoy the journey....

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

Thanks Guys I think I will wait for the Oppo and maybe compare it to a dedicated cd player in the same price range as the oppo if the oppo is better
    it will make my life easier BR,SACD,DVDA,CD in one. It is very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedler View Post
    Thanks Guys I think I will wait for the Oppo and maybe compare it to a dedicated cd player in the same price range as the oppo if the oppo is better
    it will make my life easier BR,SACD,DVDA,CD in one. It is very tempting.

Agreed.

The Oppo 83 is the one I'm going to consider after the EAP is completed and the product is available to the general public. Sounds like this will be the next target deck everyone else will be shooting for.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
    Agreed.

The Oppo 83 is the one I'm going to consider after the EAP is completed and the product is available to the general public. Sounds like this will be the next target deck everyone else will be shooting for.
    Is the Oppo83 coming out later this Month???
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Quote Originally Posted by danz1906 View Post
    Is the Oppo83 coming out later this Month???
    Not sure.

There is rumor of this over at AVS - late April.

But I think it is dependent on the percentage of 'yes' replies from the EAP evaluators to go for release.

Sounds like they have ironed out many of the bugs with this EAP program.

I'm impressed that Oppo went public with this and potential buyers can read and track the progress.

BD manufacturers have been plagued with players released, imho, too soon with insufficient QA and testing - forcing buyers to delve into forum threads to extract out the needed workarounds, tricks, and steps for fw upgrades just to play a movie.

For a buyer like me - I'm willing to pay some extra bucks for a reliable player from a company that exhibits a sincere effort at CS.

Lowest price does NOT represent *best value*.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

the 09 is a fantastic player if you are going analog. As a cd player , a Blur ray player will do if you stream over HDMI. This will use the internal DAC's of the SC you own. No need to worry about using a stand alone.

I think you should be searching for a media center. This is the way to go now a days. I know a guy who is an audiophile and has had some pretty nice gear. He built a nice media center and stores all his music on it. he said he can create the same sonic quality as his high end cd player and in some cases better sounding. He streams digital to his preamp now and lets the preamp do the decoding. No analog cables to cloud the sound. It's something to consider.

I am personally thinking of now getting a dedicated media center and ripping all my music to it. Currently I use a Ipod connected to the SC-07 VIA usb and i record in Apple Lossless and it sounds fantastic. I compared it to a cd and it's incredibly hard to tell any differences. So far I'm impressed.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

mantis are you referring to the Pioneer BDP-09fd bluray player? That's a very expensive machine around $1600-$1900. I think that's way too much for a bluray player when the Oppo BDP-83 is $599 and can play more disc types. The 09-fd has more onboard gigs at 4 but all reviews from Beta testers at Oppo's website say the Oppo say it only takes 3-4 seconds to load/start up bluray movies which is faster than anything else on the market.

+1 for DP-83BDP-83
    Question do Dan - r u saying streaming a loss-less audio to SC-07 is a way to? I'm no audiophile but that is what I'm doing now and works good for me. I stream it from HP Media Smart Server (which is based on Windows Home Server). I want to try SACD ripped and stored in a compatible format and streaming it to SC-07. I don't have a SACD to try it. In theory it should wok. Do u have any thoughts on this? Any volunteers to try this out?

Living Room: 7.3: Samsung - LN52A750, Pioneer Elite SC07
    , logitech 880
    Def Tech Mythos ST :D Fronts, Def Tech Mythos 10 Center, Def Tech BP-30 Surr, Def Tech Mythos GemXL SurrBack, MartinLogan Dynamo
    2Ch: Carver TL-3200 CD player, Carver CT-17 pre, Carver TFM-45 amp driving SDA-1C
    Bed Room: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 , Monitor 50

Storage-RTi8,CSi5,PSW505,Monitor50

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    the 09 is a fantastic player if you are going analog. As a cd player , a Blur ray player will do if you stream over HDMI. This will use the internal DAC's of the SC you own. No need to worry about using a stand alone.

I think you should be searching for a media center. This is the way to go now a days. I know a guy who is an audiophile and has had some pretty nice gear. He built a nice media center and stores all his music on it. he said he can create the same sonic quality as his high end cd player and in some cases better sounding. He streams digital to his preamp now and lets the preamp do the decoding. No analog cables to cloud the sound. It's something to consider.

I am personally thinking of now getting a dedicated media center and ripping all my music to it. Currently I use a Ipod connected to the SC-07 VIA usb and i record in Apple Lossless and it sounds fantastic. I compared it to a cd and it's incredibly hard to tell any differences. So far I'm impressed.

Dan

Mantis,
    How does the Pioneer BDP-09FD sound, compared to the SC-07 using the internal dacs over HDMI...vs using the -09 analog outs?

Thread Information