Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Default Netflix BD premium now $5

Just got this:

Dear Sami,

You are receiving this email because you added unlimited Blu-ray access to your account for $1 a month. The number of Blu-ray titles has increased significantly and will continue to do so. As we buy more, you are able to choose from a rapidly expanding selection of Blu-ray titles. And as you've probably heard, Blu-ray discs are substantially more expensive than standard definition DVDs.

As a result, the monthly charge for Blu-ray access is increasing for most plans and will now vary by plan. The charge for monthly Blu-ray access on your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan will increase from $1 a month to $5 a month. The price of your 4 DVDs at-a-time (Unlimited) plan is not changing and remains at $16.99 a month.

The new charge for Blu-ray access will be automatically added to your next billing statement on or after April 27, 2009 and will be referenced in your Membership Terms and Details.

If you wish to continue unlimited Blu-ray access for $5 a month, you don't need to do anything. If not, you can remove Blu-ray access anytime by visiting Your Account.

If you have questions about this change or need any assistance, please call us anytime at 1-888-923-0898.

-The Netflix Team

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Me and the woman have considered switching to Netflix since Blockbuster has a poor offering of bluray and the ones they have are always out. She's also p.o.'d at blockbuster since we rented Qaurantine a month or so ago and it was scratched so bad we had to skip ahead a chapter and scan back to an undamaged section.

They told her "no refund" because we didn't rush back that night to exchange it. They acted like we were trying to "pull one over" on them for $4. We rent between 6-12 discs a month and all of the sudden we decided to "get em" for $4.

Anyway, enough ranting.

How do you like Netflix? Do you rent enough per month to make it worth your while? How's the selection of BD's right now?
    Slowly emerging from the 90's
    Fronts: Polk LSi15's
    Center: Polk CS350ls
    Pre: Sony STRDA555ES
    Amp: Rotel RMB-1075
    Sub: Velodyne SPL-1000
    TV: 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
    Dust magnet: Sony PS3

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Blockbuster is the devil.

I also got that email from Netflix.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (14)

The amount of money depends on which plan you have; for the two at a time plan, it's 3 bucks a month, for the 3 at a time people, it's 4 bucks a month, etc.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by timlitton View Post
    How do you like Netflix? Do you rent enough per month to make it worth your while? How's the selection of BD's right now?
    I like it, although right now I don't watch enough to break even on the cost versus rent. I don't want to cancel either since I'm on an old 4 disc-at-a-time plan which you can't get anymore. BD selection is good, and in general Netflix has much better selection that BB.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Considering they offered up the streaming service for Xbox Live for free, I suppose I can't complain. Nonetheless, its a pretty big price hike. Still worth it for me.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

not happy, but Netflix has saved me tons of money by renting a ton of crappy movies that i would have otherwise purchased. I rent about 10-12 monthly and for $20 monthly i still cant complain

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I agree, not happy with the upcharge but as mentioned....I've saved alot of money on dogs.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Its still a Good-Deal:)
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I like it, although right now I don't watch enough to break even on the cost versus rent. I don't want to cancel either since I'm on an old 4 disc-at-a-time plan which you can't get anymore. BD selection is good, and in general Netflix has much better selection that BB.
    Maybe you can try putting your account on hold and still keep the grandfathered account? I think this won't cancel it. I just recently put my account on hold (not finding a lot of time to watch discs right now) and got the BD fee increase email today.

Netflix doesn't work for me. I prefer to buy the movies on Amazon and when they have buy one get one free at Columbia House. I travel a lot and some months I just wouldn't use it. I like the freedom of owning the discs even though I have ended up with a handful of dogs. I still rent occasionally but my friends and I often do hostage exchange programs where we trade a couple to each other until the next time.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I get 1 unlimited at a time and it's plenty. I can't watch that many movies in a weeks time. They come so fast. I drop the one I watched in the mailbox and I turn around and a new come comes.

Netflix has been very good. I have no problems at all.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

I also have the 1 movie plan. To be honest I don't even get that many discs, I use it mostly for the instant viewing feature. Unfornately it doesn't work on my PS3, but I have a large computer monitor and a couch in my office, so it's no problem to watch in there.
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

funny, i thought i saw this thread in another forum... hmm nvm

I have Netflix, 3 out at a time, and I like it. I have a Bluray player, but I don't get blu-ray discs from them, because i don't care to pay the premium. Every once in a while they send me a disc that is scratched and unplayable in spots. It is indeed very frustrating, but the good part (optimism), you can request a new one right away and they will send it right away. One time they sent me a movie that was broken, but I can't blame them for that, it was clearly broken en-route to me.

I've experimented with both Netflix and Blockbuster and still strongly prefer Netflix despite the price increase. I find that their availability of BD movies is much better and it is just a more user-friendly service. I do miss the ability to get a movie at the actual Blockbuster store but Netflix has free streaming which we use a lot on our Tivo.

So, overall, I think Netflix is still the best deal out there despite the price hike.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I like Netflix for the most part, been using them for over a year. I put my account on hold this month though because there is not much coming out I want to see, and it would be cheaper for me to rent the couple new release Blu rays at blockbuster than to pay a full month of Netflix.

I got that same email though, and personally I am a little annoyed. I have the "4 at a time" plan and it's been costing me $24.99 a month, now it's going to be $28.99 a month when and if I reactivate my subscription. Getting nickel and dimed everywhere I guess now a days.

I only use Netflix for new releases Blu rays, so now i'll have to rent at least 6 a month on that plan to make it worth it. I have a Blockbuster right up the road from me, and they charge $4.99 for Blu ray, so i'll be playing it month by month from now on. If there's a lot coming out in one month I wanna see, I'll use Netflix, if not, I'll use Blockbuster (or maybe just downgrade my Netflix Plan for the month).

of course this happens one week after I sign up with netflix.

I'm only on the 1 at a time plan so its not a deal breaker. I will feel more pressure to make sure I watch at least 1 movie a week to make it worthwhile though.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I am on the Netflix 3 plan.. but they actually sent me a 4th movie the other day.. called and said they were trying out a new feature.. whereby if a movie in your que is a long wait, they'll send you a 4th movie without any price increase.. like I said, it is something they are trying out the customer rep said.

increase it still ok with me.. you can't rent 8 to 10 movies a month at any local video rental place for under $20. esp BD ones.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

I figure if you're going to pay 30 bucks a month for pretty much unlimited rentals, then why not just spend a bit more and buy the BR's? I average about 17 bucks a BR disc and order about 3 a month. I spend around 500 a year and build a nice library, although I see the appeal of spending a bit less for unlimited view.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Me and the woman have considered switching to Netflix since Blockbuster has a poor offering of bluray and the ones they have are always out. She's also p.o.'d at blockbuster since we rented Qaurantine a month or so ago and it was scratched so bad we had to skip ahead a chapter and scan back to an undamaged section.

They told her "no refund" because we didn't rush back that night to exchange it. They acted like we were trying to "pull one over" on them for $4. We rent between 6-12 discs a month and all of the sudden we decided to "get em" for $4.

Anyway, enough ranting.

We don't use Netflix, but quit renting from BlockBuster 2 or 3 years ago. Their rental rates are just ridiculous here at almost 5.00 bucks a SD DVD. I'm assuming blu-rays are probably more. We rent from a small Mom & Pop's store for 3.00 a movie. Every 10 rentals we get a freebie. They sell off the new releases 2-3 weeks later for 5.00. BlockBuster can kma.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    We don't use Netflix, but quit renting from BlockBuster 2 or 3 years ago. Their rental rates are just ridiculous here at almost 5.00 bucks a SD DVD. I'm assuming blu-rays are probably more. We rent from a small Mom & Pop's store for 3.00 a movie. Every 10 rentals we get a freebie. They sell off the new releases 2-3 weeks later for 5.00. BlockBuster can kma.
    I hear ya.

I'm worried about the mom & pop shops. With the rise of Netflix, Redbox, iTunes, websites like HULU and pirating, it seems pretty grim for the local rental store. :(

I remember how excited I used to get when I was young and we'd go to the VIDEO STORE! It's weird that it was a special even back in the day... Row after row of VHS tapes (and beta for a while) at places with names like Video Stop and Showtime and The Peep Show... uh. forget the last one.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I'm worried about the mom & pop shops. With the rise of Netflix, Redbox, iTunes, websites like HULU and pirating, it seems pretty grim for the local rental store. :(
    Yeah, I see a lot of small retail businesses here closing all the time. All the big corps are taking over like Walmart, Costco and Sam's Club. Target just recently opened a store here on the island also. The small business retailers just cannot compete with em'. Kinda sad. : /

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Anyway, enough ranting.

I quite renting from Netflix for the same reasons you quite Blockbuster. I like BB better, they have yet to raise their Blu-ray prices and I can go into my local store and swap my movies right then and there, really comes in handy on new movie Tuesday. Netflix is completely horrible when it comes to new releases on Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Blu-ray prices are the same as DVD prices and you can get a program that allows for in-store trading with no additional cost.
    Last edited by Ron-P; 04-04-2009 at 12:26 PM.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron-P View Post
    I quite renting from Netflix for the same reasons you quite Blockbuster. I like BB better, they have yet to raise their Blu-ray prices and I can go into my local store and swap my movies right then and there, really comes in handy on new movie Tuesday. Netflix is completely horrible when it comes to new releases on Blu-ray.
    Good to hear.

I want to be totally fair to BB. After playing phone tag for a month with the district manager, they credited the movie and offered two free rentals to keep our business. It was the store manager that was the problem, but we're on the fence at this point.

Also, it seems some of you are using their online rental service. We're not, we're old fashioned brick and mortar customers.

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Just sign up for their online service and then you can get all your movies via their stores. In store exchanges is a huge plus over Netflix's mail only offerings.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (24)

I cancelled Netflix after having them for over a year. I wasn't entirely disappointed but decided it wasn't worth it. I'd get long lists on "long wait" and get things way down on my queue when earlier titles were available. I am strictly doing redbox now and if i find something i like on there, i will buy the blu ray. it's a dollar a night and i have had pretty good success even with the new releases of having them in stock.
    Shawn
    Pre-Amp: Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Amp: B&K AV5000
    Center Channel: Polk LSI C
    Front: Polk LSI 9's
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: Mirage Omni S10
    Television: Samsung LN46B640
    DVD Player: Sony BDP-S1000ES

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I've had Blockbuster for around 6 months now, and the BIG selling point for me and my wife was the ability to trade in the mailed-movies for in-store movies. I get 5 exchanges a month.

It used to be that exchanged movies had the same rental rules as regular rentals (5-day rental, etc). Now the exchanges have no time-limit. This is really a huge plus for us, because sometimes we'll find a movie that our son LOVES, and with the weather in Oregon going outside isn't always an option. So, we keep a movie that he loves for a couple/few weeks till the weather clears up, then return it.

Plus, we get 3 movies at a time with the 5 in-store exchanges for $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Member Sales Rating: (21)

I still use my mom and pop store, of course, I am, afterall, an American.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE