Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB Hard Drive

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default USB Hard Drive

Ripping music for my music server is resulting in my almost running out of hard drive space. I am thinking of getting 2 USB hard drives, and moving all the music to one, and use the other as a backup. Anyone have any experience with USB hard drives, models, etc.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I'd go with Firewire or eSata if it's an option. Better sustained speeds makes for faster backups/transfers.

Otherwise, any USB 2.0 external HD will do. I have a 500gb USB and 1TB Firewire external drives right now.
    I use the 500gb for backups, and the 1tb for storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Reliability and Power Brick vs. USB Power

I have used LaCie 80GB (about four years old) and LaCie 500GB USB drives. These require a power brick. I liked them because they are quite, sleek, and totally stackable.

The basic problem, it seems to me, is reliability: hard drives do fail (although it has never happened yet to me - touches wood). I've avoided the USB powered drives (no brick or wall outlet needed) previously since they seemed to have quirky issues with being recognized, but this seems to no longer be the case from reading the reviews (if those can be trusted!). Toshiba seem to have an excellent record for this, so, if I were shopping today I'd probably try the USB powered Toshiba drives.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-FireWire...9816728&sr=8-2
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-External...4KVJW0T5RRP8NF
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Portab...9816791&sr=1-3

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Ripping music for my music server is resulting in my almost running out of hard drive space. I am thinking of getting 2 USB hard drives, and moving all the music to one, and use the other as a backup. Anyone have any experience with USB hard drives, models, etc.
    USB speeds can vary based on the controller in the USB enclosure and computer. The drive performance its self isn't as a big a deal as the USB controller.

If you hit tomshardware.com, techreport.com, anandtech.com etc... You can find reviews. I know that Western Digital has some sub $70 640GB units available at sites like newegg and zipzoomfly. Most times shipping is included in the purchase cost.

If you have a computer with eSata then you would have a quicker solution.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I just bought a Western digital 500GB USb HDD for my system. Works real well. $89 at Best Buy. I believe the 1TaraByte was $149

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (16)

I have a Seagate and (2) Western Digital "notebook" types. They are a little slower (access time) than an internal and the jury is still out on failure rates/reasons. I am a bit leary but with the cost consistently coming down I'll probably get a few more to back everything up.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Great answers. Thanks. I purchased 2 of the Toshibas, and a USB hub. Naturally, while I was on Amazon I ended up getting 10 more CDs while I was at it. I have gotten addicted to Amazon. Free shipping (most of the time), and no sales tax. Other than free, what more could you want.

Thread Information