Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Exclamation Bryston Owner, What is your favorite Bryston Amp?

Ok Folks, The title says it all. I just want to know the model number of your favorite or most preferred Bryston Amp. If possible, please also include a short description of why you prefer it over other Bryston models you've heard or owned.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've listened to the 4B-SST2 and I own a 4B-ST. Hard to compare since the SST2 was in a show room connected to different audio gear. The SST2 was definatley better sounding than mine but like I said with the different speakers, room and preamp it's difficult to compare. I love the one I have and once said I'd never part with it but you know how that can go. With my curiosity to try different audio gear I'll be doing a trade plus cash for a set of speakers in just a few hours. I may end up with another 4B-ST if I run across one at a reasonable price. Great bang for the buck. If I had deep pockets I'd probably go for the SST2 but the price is out of my range. I highly recommend the 4B-ST.

Thanks Steamer! I am still on the fence whether to get ST or SST (a lot more cost). I don't have enough dough to try out SST2 since I am mostly sure I won't be able to find one used at a reasonable price. But I think paying a visit to the Audio Store 40 miles far from me is in order since you mention SST2.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

If you buy a used Bryston be sure to get a receipt that is from an authorized Bryston dealer if it has a date code later than Feb. 06.
    Anything before that you don't need a receipt for warrany service. According to the Bryston web site.

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    I am still on the fence whether to get ST or SST (a lot more cost). I don't have enough dough to try out SST2 since I am mostly sure I won't be able to find one used at a reasonable price.
    If you can swing for the SST it's worth it.It uses the newer generation of output devices,has a beefier power supply and sounds more refined especially in the hi end.Bass control and slam are Bryston hallmarks and both the 4B ST and SST excel in this area.The differences between the 4B SST and 4B SST2 are mainly in the soft start and the power switch,sonically they should be identical as the main amplifier circuit has not changed with this model.
    Last edited by GV#27; 04-19-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks GV! I think SST is going to cost me like twice more than ST and I am not sure it's worth the extra spending or not. Is there any significant sonic difference between 7B and 4B series other than the output power?

GV#27

Is there any significant sonic difference between 7B and 4B series other than the output power?
    I can't really say as I have not directly compared them,but I would expect there to be a strong family resemblance.(the 7B will measure a bit better in the THD and S/N departments).I think it would depend on the speaker and what load it presented to the amp.The 7B ST (though not the SST)can be configured for either series or parallel operation depending on speaker impedance.Series mode is for maximum power into 4-8 ohms,parallel for difficult loads of 1-4 ohms.I did get to try a single 7B ST on my subwoofer and can say it had a death grip on it.The sense of effortless power and control were fantastic.
    Last edited by GV#27; 04-19-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks again GV! I am sort of more into a pair of 7B ST (SST if I found a bargain). Even though it's not necessary, having more power at your finger tips is a cool thing. :D

Bryston is definitely well Engineered Product and no doubt it has complete control over subs.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I've got a 4b-st running a pair of Revel Studio's. These are fairly hard to drive speakers (87db), but the Bryston runs them with ease. I did get to listen to the newer 4b ( I think sst). It was powering a set of Revel Salon 2's. Sounded pretty good, but without a side-by-side comparison I probably couldn't tell the difference. I would like to hear a pair of 7b-sst. The more power the better.:D

GV#27

Thanks again GV! I am sort of more into a pair of 7B ST (SST if I found a bargain).
    Your welcome.If you are able to get a pair of 7's within your budget I doubt you will ever be disapointed and you will have an amp that can drive virtually any speaker existant.

Quote Originally Posted by del44 View Post
    I've got a 4b-st running a pair of Revel Studio's.
    Very nice combo that.
    Last edited by GV#27; 04-19-2009 at 08:32 PM.

The 7b IS a 4b (with less binding posts). Seriously, the schematics are identical- the 7b is just bridged all the time. You can send in the 7SST to get it configured for the low impedence- they used to not charge 'cept for shipping.

So- if you can find a pair of 4b's cheaper than 7b's and you've got 4-8 ohm impedence, go for it. Low impedence, you'll want to check w/ them- they might be able to set up a parallel bridging on a 4b, but I'm not sure.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

GV#27

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    The 7b IS a 4b (with less binding posts). Seriously, the schematics are identical- the 7b is just bridged all the time.
    They are the same basic circuit but the 7B's have lower voltage rails and a single 7 has nearly double the filter capacitance of the 4B .
    You can send in the 7SST to get it configured for the low impedence- they used to not charge 'cept for shipping.
    I'm not certain, but there may well be a charge to convert a 7B SST to parallel mode from it's standard series (bridged /balanced) mode as it is not a quick change as in the NRB,ST versions.

Low impedence, you'll want to check w/ them- they might be able to set up a parallel bridging on a 4b, but I'm not sure.
    Probably not.In the unlikely event of a load being too difficult for a single 4B then you would be better off selling it and buying a pair of 7's.Buying a pair of 4's and having them converted for parallel operation is'nt practical even if the mod was available.However operating a pair of 4's in normal bridged(series) mode would make for a very formidable powerhouse.
    Last edited by GV#27; 04-20-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks Everyone for chiming in! :)

Quote Originally Posted by del44 View Post
    I've got a 4b-st running a pair of Revel Studio's. The more power the better.:D
    Very Nice Combo! Great Amp With Great Speakers indeed! :)

I always want more power than the speakers can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by unc2701 View Post
    The 7b IS a 4b (with less binding posts). Seriously, the schematics are identical- the 7b is just bridged all the time. You can send in the 7SST to get it configured for the low impedence- they used to not charge 'cept for shipping.

So- if you can find a pair of 4b's cheaper than 7b's and you've got 4-8 ohm impedence, go for it. Low impedence, you'll want to check w/ them- they might be able to set up a parallel bridging on a 4b, but I'm not sure.
    I think 7B is not really a bridged version of the 4B. I haven't seen the schema yet but I think 7B driver board is different from 4B but I might be wrong.

Yes, I'll be driving the low impedance speakers down to 2 ohms or less at some frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by GV#27 View Post
    They are the same basic circuit but the 7B's have lower voltage rails and a single 7 has nearly double the filter capacitance of the 4B .I'm not certain, but there may well be a charge to convert a 7B SST to parallel mode from it's standard series (bridged /balanced) mode as it is not a quick change as in the NRB,ST versions.

Probably not.In the unlikely event of a load being too difficult for a single 4B then you would be better off selling it and buying a pair of 7's.Buying a pair of 4's and having them converted for parallel operation is'nt practical even if the mod was available.However operating a pair of 4's in normal bridged(series) mode would make for a very formidable powerhouse.
    A friend of mine is upgrading his Bryston with the Classe Mono-blocks so I am waiting to hear from him for the a pair of 7B-SST but the 4B-SST I saw on Agon has been already sold to another person. I'll report back when I have heard from him.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Thread Information