Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Speaker Selection

I'm somewhat of a "newbie" to all of this, and am looking for some guidance in deciding what speakers to buy. I got rid of my early 90's era Sony rack system (ugh), and bought a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver. I originally intended to buy a HTIB system to go with my new Samsung 67" DLP, until I could afford to do better later on (funds are low for now). A friend of mine suggested that I instead put that money (plus maybe a little more) towards a decent pair of floor standing speakers. Then, later on as I can afford it, continue to add on to the system (center, rears, etc). And eventually end up with a quality system that I can be proud of.
    So that's where I am now......trying to decide on what fronts to buy. My budget is about $300-$400. Have done some reading on-line and think maybe the Polk Monitor 60/70 or the TSi400/500 are probably where I need to be looking, although some of those may be over my budget for now.
    I would be greatful for any guidance on this from any of the more experienced forum members, or from anyone out there who has had any personal experience with any of these speakers. Also, is my Yamaha (95w p/ch) going to have enough power to adequately drive them?
    Again.....thanks for any help or ideas that you can give me.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

where do you live?

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Do you want a home theater or a 2 channel rig?

Oh, my manners. Welcome to the forum.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290017
    Authorized dealer, and M60 for $129 and free shipping, for a pair thats 258, will be perfect for a HT and 2 channel for that budget, add a Sub later, check for POLK eBay direct for some good deals, and pick up a psw125 should be perfect. And later add some M30 or 40 for rear, Newegg or Polk ebay has some good deals most of the times.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by jacob.simpson View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290017
    Authorized dealer, and M60 for $129 and free shipping, for a pair thats 258, will be perfect for a HT and 2 channel for that budget, add a Sub later, check for POLK eBay direct for some good deals, and pick up a psw125 should be perfect. And later add some M30 or 40 for rear, Newegg or Polk ebay has some good deals most of the times.
    I assumed the Polk Ebay was probably a damn good deal, but was unsure. Anything that they have there that I need to worry about picking up?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Those newegg prices are "INSANE!". Welcome to CP Rowdy. Yamaha 663 nice receiver, good power for efficient speakers. Polk TSI are certainly that. M60s nice fronts in an entry system...Go with Jabob.s on everything else.

Though if you save the money and the Polk PSW505 is still available for 299 or less...go for that. The PSW125 though would be OK with M60s.

cnh

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo0530 View Post
    I assumed the Polk Ebay was probably a damn good deal, but was unsure. Anything that they have there that I need to worry about picking up?
    just close your eyes and buy from P ebay, except for the sticker which says Refurb, the units are as good as new (only downside is they carry only 2years warranty for the speakers i will not be worried on this, i dont think so many of the manufactureres offer any warranty at all or only 30 or 90 days for refurbs)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeo0530 View Post
    Not really, Polk is really good about warranty and service. Since a lot of that stuff is refurb you have a somewhat reduced warranty period. But how many of us have had Polk speakers fail during the warranty period here? Not many....

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Awesome...thank you. That's a great little fact to know!!

Thanks for all the advice and ideas on speaker possibilities. Answer to Zarrdoss....I live near Houston, Tx. I want to eventually end up with a 5.1 system, but can only afford the fronts for now. Use will be split about 50/50 between music and home theater.
    The deal mentioned at Newegg on the M60's for $258/pr. sounds terrific. How does the Monitor series compare vs. the TSi series?........In both cost and performance. Would love to get your opinions. Also, soiunds like I need to check out Polk's deals on refurbs.
    Again, thanks to all for your input.......I do value your opinions.

The TSi and Monitor series aren't a whole lot different. The TSi series is more or less the "replacement" to the Monitor series and if you look at the specs. they are pretty much identical. I have Monitor 70's and love them, and I know cnh also has the 70's and likes his very much too. If you have an oppertunity to pick up some Monitor 60/70's at a discounted price I would suggest you go for it, you will not be dissapointed. Oh and welcome to Club Polk.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Member Sales Rating: (3)

well you live in a big city I would check the local CL for some used SDA's, nothing wrong with used gear, also check the for sale on here for a bunch of great deals!

Craigslist :-)

Selling my FX 1000's if you're interested.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...recent/fx1000/

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    Craigslist :-)

Selling my FX 1000's if you're interested.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...recent/fx1000/
    stop posting your ads all over the forum. You cannot sell anything here until you reach 25 posts. please follow the rules...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Thanks for the input, guys. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the Monitor 60's at Newegg (awesome deal at $258/pr.) but then noticed that they only come in black. Part of the deal with the wife is that what ever I get has to have a wood finish, to blend in with the wood entertainment center we got for the Sammy DLP (my setup is in the living room). I noticed that the M70's are available in cherry, but are about twice as much at $500/pr. How much better are the 70's than the 60's? Trying to se if I can justify that big of a price difference....or do I need to be looking at something else? Say....something in the TSi lineup like the 300 or 400 that I can get in the cherry.
    Man.....this "wood thing" has thrown a kink in the works. I would appreciate any ideas or guidance on this.

The 60's are also available in cherry as well. They may not have any in stock since they are "discontinued" but they were made in cherry too. If by wood finish you mean the color then I understand, but the black color of the 60's are "wood finish" as well. I haven't heard the 60's but from what I have been told the 70's have a better overall sound than the 60's. Keep in mind though it is even harder to find the 70's than it is to find the 60's. One other option is too look for the T90e's, which are a European version of the Monitor 60's. They may or may not have been made in cherry, but I don't know. The TSi's are very similar to the Monitor series and would work well for you I'm sure, but they are a newer model and will have the newer model price tag as well. Hopefully we can get this figured out for you.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the Monitor 60's at Newegg (awesome deal at $258/pr.) but then noticed that they only come in black...
    The last couple of weekends NewEgg has been running some serious polk speaker deals. No guarantees of course, but TSi400's were selling for $199, and a pair of TSi200's were $199 as well the last couple of weekends. So if you aren't in a rush, I would wait and see what the sales are on Saturday.

Of course there is always the risk of the deal you want selling out, however if you aren't sold on a set model I would recommend you wait.

Thanks guys......I think I'll take your advice and kind of just wait it out a bit. I know these online sales come and go all the time. It's hard to be patient when you've got "the fever" and are ready to buy. I'll see what Newegg has on sale this weekend. In the meantime, if anyone comes across a hot deal, I would sure appreciate a heads-up.
    Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, also......what other online sellers should I be watching for deals. I've already checked out craigslist for my area (nothing there right now), as well as the Club Polk classifieds here.
    Thanks.

J&R usually has good sales and free shipping. I bought my Monitor 40's from them back when I bought my HT setup in September.

http://www.jr.com/?JRSource=GAW.JandR
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

Thanks a lot......I will keep an eye on them as well.

Thread Information