Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emotiva ERC-1

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Default Emotiva ERC-1

http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm

Hey, haven't heard much on the forum about this. Anybody had a chance to listen to one of these, or heard any interesting industry gossip?

Early B., you still considering one of these as an upgrade to your Bada? I like that they decided to include the XLR outputs. The specs look fantastic.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I read up on this piece for a while ---

I pretty much decided I would never buy it before of the name that is on it. Unless it really was just THAT good...

Looks like a solid player for $400 bucks.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (36)

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    I read up on this piece for a while ---

I pretty much decided I would never buy it before of the name that is on it. Unless it really was just THAT good...

Looks like a solid player for $400 bucks.
    I wish it had tubes. My system is very very neutral after the source. I depend on tubes to add the magic right at the start, but all the separate power supplies and engineering makes me intrigued.

It would be fun to test it against your shanling and your coming Symphonic Line CDP.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm

Early B., you still considering one of these as an upgrade to your Bada? I like that they decided to include the XLR outputs. The specs look fantastic.

Hell, no! I'm sure the ERC-1 will be fantastic, but haven't you heard -- tubes rule!! I expect it to be as good or better than the Cambridge Audio 840C.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSqual View Post
    I wish it had tubes. My system is very very neutral after the source. I depend on tubes to add the magic right at the start, but all the separate power supplies and engineering makes me intrigued.

It would be fun to test it against your shanling and your coming Symphonic Line CDP.
    Damn, you stole my tube moment. We were typing at the same time...
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (49)

The only thing i don't like about it is it won't play SACD's. I would have no problem owning it.
    Hot Rodded SDA 1.2TL's, SDA 1C's, SDA CRS+'s...
    Powered By Wyred 4 Sound, STP-SE, SX-1000...
    MIT-Shotgun's ...

Member Sales Rating: (27)

I like my preamp adding the tubes -- I want the CDP to be fairly neutral. -- If the ERC is about the same league as my Shanling - I won't even bother...

My system with the new speakers and cables, the Shanling sounds like dog mess... very hard to listen to. It has alot of digital artifacts and noise...
    Last edited by VR3; 05-03-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (44)

I'll be getting one as soon as I can just to see what its all about...... And a UMC-1 if it ever gets released.

Nick

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Looks like a solid player-Good price:)
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I think this player is very promising, I did ask if this player had a DAC chip per channel and I never had an answer back. The DAC chip is the same as the 840C however the 840c uses 1 chip per channel.

The ERC-1 will be available after May 15, so it is not out yet.
    Current HT setup
    Mains: B&W 804s
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
    Receiver: Pioneer SC-07
    Amplifier: Sunfire TGA5200
    TV: Sony KDS60A2020
    DBP: Sony DBP-S350
    CDP: Pioneer DV-48AV
    Interconnect cables: SignalCable analog II
    speaker cables: SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables Bi-wire

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    Hell, no! I'm sure the ERC-1 will be fantastic, but haven't you heard -- tubes rule!! I expect it to be as good or better than the Cambridge Audio 840C.
    I find that very hard to believe. Plus the fact that it doesn't have digital inputs, makes it null in my book.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    I find that very hard to believe. Plus the fact that it doesn't have digital inputs, makes it null in my book.

Why would you want digital inputs on a cd player?

Member Sales Rating: (43)

So you don't need a separate DAC for other digital sources.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by olilugo View Post
    I think this player is very promising, I did ask if this player had a DAC chip per channel and I never had an answer back. The DAC chip is the same as the 840C however the 840c uses 1 chip per channel.

The ERC-1 will be available after May 15, so it is not out yet.
    IIRC it does not have a separate DAC per channel. It was originally dual mono DACs but then changed to single stereo DAC. I'll see if I can dig up the post.
    Here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by via Emotivalounge
    ..... Was there a reason from Lonnie for the removal of the second DAC? Cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnie via Emotivalounge
    I checked a prototype with single and dual DACs and you couldn't hear or measure any difference between them, so we decided to just go with the one multi-channel DAC and parallel the channels to correct for any errors. I guess we could have left it in there but it would have just been for bragging rights and not for any improved performance.
    Of course that was back in October--I haven't followed much lately so the specs could have changed.

Here's a vid of Lonnie talking about it (in the beginning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLmNQEtU4

I also wish it had SACD and/or Digital inputs (to make use of the DAC for other components) but alas--I'm going to wait until the reviews are in.
    Last edited by mmadden28; 05-05-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

I see Oppo is going to start shipping the 'pre orders' of the BDP-83 toward the end of May. Re: SACD capabilities: The BDP-83 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
    Pioneer Elite Kuro 50" Pro111FD
    Front: Polk LSi15
    Center: Polk LSiC
    Surround: Polk LSiF/X
    Sub: Polk PSW10
    Amps: Rotel RB 993 &
    Parasound HCA-800 II
    Pre/Pro:Anthem AVM-20

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    IIRC it does not have a separate DAC per channel. It was originally dual mono DACs but then changed to single stereo DAC. I'll see if I can dig up the post.
    Here it is:

Of course that was back in October--I haven't followed much lately so the specs could have changed.

Here's a vid of Lonnie talking about it (in the beginning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflLmNQEtU4

I also wish it had SACD and/or Digital inputs (to make use of the DAC for other components) but alas--I'm going to wait until the reviews are in.
    Yeah, no difference . That's why all higher end players have dual mono dac's............for bragging rights.

I'm sure at some level this will be a nice player. Better than the Cambridge?? I don't perosonally care for the Cambridge line.....way too analytical for my tastes. Hard to imagine this being better.

I bet the $599 Chinese Bada would sound better. LessIsNevermore....hurry and buy one so we can find out against Dave's Bada at the next RAS :D:D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Hey Nik, how do you like your RCD-855? Mine lasted for 18 years before kicking the bucket. I replaced it with the 1072.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas812 View Post
    I'll be getting one as soon as I can just to see what its all about...... And a UMC-1 if it ever gets released.

Nick
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Slot load? No thanks, they always seem to develop problems, or worse yet, scratch disc's.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Question Bragging Rights?

Since Emo seem to be the kings of bragging rights, just read their spec. pages and how they are made to seem ludicrously overwhelming, it seems odd to see them not want to brag about something. I always get the impression they're trying to count zeros after the decimal point in THD, and as many of everything else as they can possibly imagine. It has always seemed to me that the logic was that the Chinese part was so inexpensive to make, but the premium it could command here in the U.S. was so significant, by making the unit seem to so hopelessly outshine more expensive brands, that adding the part was actually cheaper, on the bottom line, than removing it.

SACD capability, on the other hand, is not just limited to adding Chinese made parts ...

Member Sales Rating: (44)

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    Hey Nik, how do you like your RCD-855? Mine lasted for 18 years before kicking the bucket. I replaced it with the 1072.

I love it and it sounds fantastic. I would have never dreamed a player this old could sound so good. But..... I know there is better....

Its not going anywhere though. Even if I get a new CDP I'll find a place for it. Best $100 I ever spent.:)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
    So is your Rotel RCD-1072 a keeper?
    Current HT setup
    Mains: B&W 804s
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
    Receiver: Pioneer SC-07
    Amplifier: Sunfire TGA5200
    TV: Sony KDS60A2020
    DBP: Sony DBP-S350
    CDP: Pioneer DV-48AV
    Interconnect cables: SignalCable analog II
    speaker cables: SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables Bi-wire

Absolutely! I waited until Rotel came out with one that was equal to the raves that the 855 got. I just had to wait about 18 years!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Thread Information