Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Thumbs up Shostakovich: The String Quartets 6CD

    I finally got a chance to give this a good listen last night.
    WOW very nice CD set indeed!!

    Very rich and pleasing....just a pleasure to listen to.
    If your into Classical you won't be disappointed!!

    Award winning set http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4557762

    Out of 15 Reviews at Amazon 10 were 5 star and 3 were 4
    http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-T...owViewpoints=0

    Someone has a chance at the last one of 2 that I got from this person.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370127114992

    $12.60 shipped NEW and Sealed. For a 6 disk set that's a deal!!
    $47.98 from Amazon.



    Number of Discs: 6
    Format: Box set
    Label: Decca
    UPC: 028945577623

    .
    Last edited by Motzart; 02-07-2009 at 09:51 AM.

    Yamaha RX-A710 90Watt 7.1
    Mains: RTi A1's Center: CS150 Sats: RT15i's Sub: Velodyne DPS-10
    Music CD: Sony CDP-CE375 5 Disk
    HD TV: Vizio 42" LCD 1080p E420VO
    Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S350
    DVD: Sony DVP-NC665P 5 Disk
    AV Rack: Sanus Euro EFAB-II Audio Base x2 EFAS-II Audio Expansion Shelf x4
    Cables Used: Monster Cable HPD Sony HDMI DLCHE18W
    Phones: Sennheiser HD280 Pro

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,326

    Default

    Thanks Motzart! I got the one on eBay. :)

    I like Classical so I am sure it's going to be a nice addition to what I already have.

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Ok.
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motzart View Post
    I finally got a chance to give this a good listen last night.
    WOW very nice CD set indeed!!

    Very rich and pleasing....just a pleasure to listen to.
    If your into Classical you won't be disappointed!!


    $12.60 shipped NEW and Sealed. For a 6 disk set that's a deal!!
    $47.98 from Amazon.


    Pretty sure my dad has that boxset. I can't stand Shostakovich even on a good day. Everything he wrote sounds like Gulag to me. Like a bad Yakoff Smirnoff joke.

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    Thanks Motzart! I got the one on eBay. :)

    I like Classical so I am sure it's going to be a nice addition to what I already have.
    SUPER! You will like it if you like Classical.....esp after a tough day and you wanna relax!
    BTW I have NO AFFILIATION with the seller just passing along the info on a great deal.
    When you get it let me know how ya like it.

    Yamaha RX-A710 90Watt 7.1
    Mains: RTi A1's Center: CS150 Sats: RT15i's Sub: Velodyne DPS-10
    Music CD: Sony CDP-CE375 5 Disk
    HD TV: Vizio 42" LCD 1080p E420VO
    Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S350
    DVD: Sony DVP-NC665P 5 Disk
    AV Rack: Sanus Euro EFAB-II Audio Base x2 EFAS-II Audio Expansion Shelf x4
    Cables Used: Monster Cable HPD Sony HDMI DLCHE18W
    Phones: Sennheiser HD280 Pro

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John30_30 View Post
    Pretty sure my dad has that boxset. I can't stand Shostakovich even on a good day. Everything he wrote sounds like Gulag to me. Like a bad Yakoff Smirnoff joke.
    Classical isn't for everyone thats a given.
    Not all Classical hasta be fast tempo to be enjoyable.
    But that's what some like.....I do too when the mood strikes me.
    I just like something to relax after a long day many times.

    Sometimes I feel a lil down and need a pick me up....then the up tempo works for me.
    Opera is one avenue of Classical I only like once in while......very long while!
    Wife likes Pavoratti......personally I can't stand Him.

    Yamaha RX-A710 90Watt 7.1
    Mains: RTi A1's Center: CS150 Sats: RT15i's Sub: Velodyne DPS-10
    Music CD: Sony CDP-CE375 5 Disk
    HD TV: Vizio 42" LCD 1080p E420VO
    Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S350
    DVD: Sony DVP-NC665P 5 Disk
    AV Rack: Sanus Euro EFAB-II Audio Base x2 EFAS-II Audio Expansion Shelf x4
    Cables Used: Monster Cable HPD Sony HDMI DLCHE18W
    Phones: Sennheiser HD280 Pro

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motzart View Post
    I finally got a chance to give this a good listen last night.
    WOW very nice CD set indeed!!

    Very rich and pleasing....just a pleasure to listen to.
    If your into Classical you won't be disappointed!!
    For whatever reason, and it certainly is not maturity, I have almost completely stopped listening to rock and rap, and almost exclusively listen to classical. I would have never spent the money and time building up the 2 channel living room stereo if not for my new fondness of classical.

    This CD looks like a good addition, and might be iPod/Wadia worthy if it meets my minimum classical criteria; no singing. While I love the music I despise the singing. So, is this CD set just music, or is there singing on it?

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    For whatever reason, and it certainly is not maturity, I have almost completely stopped listening to rock and rap, and almost exclusively listen to classical. I would have never spent the money and time building up the 2 channel living room stereo if not for my new fondness of classical.

    This CD looks like a good addition, and might be iPod/Wadia worthy if it meets my minimum classical criteria; no singing. While I love the music I despise the singing. So, is this CD set just music, or is there singing on it?
    Nope all strings and very relaxing.......if your not into vocals you will like it!

    I just picked up DVORAK THE SYMPHONIES 6CD set on same label.....let ya know how that is once I get it.
    Another award winner!! :D

    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4300462

    .
    Last edited by Motzart; 02-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motzart View Post
    Nope all strings and very relaxing.......if your not into vocals you will like it!

    I just picked up DVORAK THE SYMPHONIES 6CD set on same label.....let ya know how that is once I get it.
    Good news. Thanks.

    I have a number of individual CDs of Dvorak, and enjoy them all, so I suspect you will like the 6 CD set.

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Yeah, Jim; you'll likely really enjoy Kertesz's Dvorak readings. I don't own the complete set, but I've at least listened to all of them. Probably the ones that I enjoyed most were the 4th, 7th and 8th symphonies and Scherzo Capriccioso.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John K. View Post
    Yeah, Jim; you'll likely really enjoy Kertesz's Dvorak readings. I don't own the complete set, but I've at least listened to all of them. Probably the ones that I enjoyed most were the 4th, 7th and 8th symphonies and Scherzo Capriccioso.
    Figured you'd chime in at some point! :D
    Thanks for the heads up Buddy....I'll report my listening once I get it in the ole CD player. ;)
    See what you got me back into? :)

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,326

    Thumbs up Nice Classical Set!

    Motzart,

    I've got the String Quartets CD Set from the seller yesterday and I've been enjoying it. I listened to the 1st CD a couple of times and i really liked it. ;)

    I am now on my 2nd CD and still trying to get a good taste of it.

    1 Down, 2 current, 4 more to go.

    Thanks for sharing this one. :D:)

    James
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Thumbs up

    Bought this a couple weeks ago on the bay (different seller), came home today from some travel and it was waiting for me. Just sat here going through the forum and listening to CD1 on my iSonic right now(no critical listening or anything) and I must say, I like it- sounds good.
    Last edited by mmadden28; 02-19-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    ____________________
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

    HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    I finally ordered this from Amazon, and have been enjoying it for 2 days now. Thanks for the tip. This is a a keeper.

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I finally ordered this from Amazon, and have been enjoying it for 2 days now. Thanks for the tip. This is a a keeper.
    You bought it from Amazon? $43 ??

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    You bought it from Amazon? $43 ??
    Possibly, it was part of a $500 order of SACDs, and a few CDs.

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Very good, Fox. Would like to have your impressions of some of the classical items. Although I have a fairly extensive collection, I'm always looking for more, preferably at bargain sale prices.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    End of The Sound Wave
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
    Motzart,

    I've got the String Quartets CD Set from the seller yesterday and I've been enjoying it. I listened to the 1st CD a couple of times and I really liked it. ;)

    Thanks for sharing this one. :D:)
    Not a problem......it's nice to bring out the Classical side of us now and then.
    I think pretty much everyone likes Classical in some form or another.

    I have been a Classical listener for about 20yrs now....I'll be sure to bring to light any I find exceptional for you Guys to add to your hoard. (And have thus far):D

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    I loved the String Quartets so much I bought the 10 CD box set of all his symphonies. Boy, was that a mistake. They suck (critical term). Actually, if you like horns and singing they are probably great, but I prefer strings and no singing.

    Once I finish listening to all 10 I am going to give this away, assuming the next 7 CDs suck as bad as the first three.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Fox, exactly which set did you buy? It's generally not a good idea to just buy a complete set of a composer's symphonies since individual discs can usually be selected which have better performances. As far as the symphonies themselves, they vary in quality, but many of them are great in my view as well as that of most classical listeners. I especially enjoy and have multiple performances of the 1st, 5th, 7th, and 10th. On the other hand, for example, I don't care for the 2nd, 3rd and 13th and don't own any of them.

    Since you enjoyed the string quartets I'll suggest two of my favorites that you should also enjoy: the beautiful Debussy and Ravel Quartets and three of the most popular quartets, by Borodin, Dvorak and Tchaikovsky (also available from Amazon, of course).
    Last edited by John K.; 06-01-2009 at 05:43 AM.

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    6,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John K. View Post
    Fox, exactly which set did you buy? It's generally not a good idea to just buy a complete set of a composer's symphonies since individual discs can usually be selected which have better performances. As far as the symphonies themselves, they vary in quality, but many of them are great in my view as well as that of most classical listeners. I especially enjoy and have multiple performances of the 1st, 5th, 7th, and 10th. On the other hand, for example, I don't care for the 2nd, 3rd and 13th and don't own any of them.
    While I am sure they are great if that is what you like, my problem with the Symphonies is I am not a fan of horns (trumpets, etc.), and singing in classical music.

    The recordings themselves are fine so far. I will certainly look into your suggestions. Thanks.

    This is the box set.
    http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-C...3870785&sr=1-3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. String Trimmers
    By daboyz in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
  2. I keep my pants pulled up with string and twine...
    By Polkersince85 in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM
  3. Looking for some good String Bass and Cello music...
    By rnp614 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
  4. Beethoven Quartets
    By Oldwriter in forum Music & Movies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2004, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts