Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Ray Player

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Blue Ray Player

I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player and was hoping to get some advice from you all. My receiver and DVD are Denon so I was planning to go with them again but it sounds like they might not be the way to go (other posts).
    I'm planning on spending $1000 +/-. What would you all buy for my setup?
    Denon 3806 Receiver
    Denon 3910 DVD
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
    Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
    58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
    SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
    Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
    LsiC Center
    LsiFX Surrounds
    SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
    PBJ Interconnects
    Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"

ZERO Threshold of Hearing

the new oppo blu-ray is hot right now...

new slim ps3 with HD codecs for $299 aint bad
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    the new oppo blu-ray is hot right now...

new slim ps3 with HD codecs for $299 aint bad
    +1 Haven't heard much about the slim PS3 yet but lots of good things on the PS3. The Oppo is also supposed to be great and at the right price for features and output quality. I think there are a couple threads floating around here on the Oppo. You can't do much reading anywhere on this subject without the PS3 coming up, over and over and over.

OP not sure what you mean by: "planning to go with them again but it sounds like they might not be the way to go (other posts)."

I do not hear much bad about the Denons for the most part. Other than the cost compared to the PS3, Oppo and a few others.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I'm a little unclear also. I'm assuming (?) you're keeping the Denon 3806 you have paired with the Outlaw 7500 and have budgeted $1000 for the DVD to Blu-ray swap. In that case, probably no reason to look much further than the Oppo (from what I've read). Nothing wrong with the PS3 suggestion either.

On the other hand, if you meant a receiver + BR player then $1000 won't get it without sacrificing a lot of the quality you already have.
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica

Quote Originally Posted by apphd View Post
    +1 Haven't heard much about the slim PS3 yet but lots of good things on the PS3. The Oppo is also supposed to be great and at the right price for features and output quality. I think there are a couple threads floating around here on the Oppo. You can't do much reading anywhere on this subject without the PS3 coming up, over and over and over.
    Agreed, every BD thread the PS3 always gets mentioned. I think for one at it's price point it's great. The new PS3 Slim is supposed to be able to bitstream audio now so that does sound good to add to its list of great features already. However, the PS3 is a game console regardless and some just prefer not to have a game console in their rig to include Wii or Xbox 360. I just did'nt want another console so I opt for stand alone player, besides a dedicated player should out perform the PS3 but that is purely subjective so I won't open that can of worms.

In regards to the Oppo it is a very good player, and I can vouch for it being that I own one along with quite a few other members here. I will say it does everything under the sun and performs quite well at it's price point. However, there are a ton of other good players out there, the JVC is supposedly the poor man's Oppo, good player, fast load times and excellent performance. I also own the Panasonic BD30, and Sony BDS1 and can vouch for those also. Panasonic has it done right and the newer model Sony's are said to be good.

I guess it comes down to the features you want and your budget pretty much. You really can't go wrong. The Pioneer 51 is very cheap right now so that maybe an option as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

I love the PS3... but you have to remember it uses a BlueTooth remote, so if you have a universal remote, the PS3 would be a bad choice...

I also agree the Oppo seems to be the best performance-wise. It just smokes any other BR player out there...

Panasonic dmp-bd80 or bd60.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Quote Originally Posted by Marcinko7 View Post
    I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player and was hoping to get some advice from you all. My receiver and DVD are Denon so I was planning to go with them again but it sounds like they might not be the way to go (other posts).
    I'm planning on spending $1000 +/-. What would you all buy for my setup?
    Darn you missed it, the deal last month was the Pioneer BDP-51 FD first for $200 and then for $150 at BB.
    There is a good thread at AVS to assist you on finding some of the best deals.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=937817

All that being said, for performance it is hard to beat the Oppo83
    http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

Is there anything new lower than this?
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10825995
    Last edited by xcapri79; 08-24-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon s View Post
    I love the PS3... but you have to remember it uses a BlueTooth remote, so if you have a universal remote, the PS3 would be a bad choice...

I also agree the Oppo seems to be the best performance-wise. It just smokes any other BR player out there...
    Logitech has a fix for that Bluetooth problem with the Harmomy remotes jon, granted it costs around $60 but a fix none the less. I have a PS3 and IMHO is one of, if not the best, option out there for Blu-Ray players. With all the other stuff it does it is a steal at $299 for the new slim.

-Jeff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00267S7XW/...SIN=B00267S7XW PS3 Bluetooth adapter
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

I'm gonna go with the Oppo, I think it will look good with my rig and has all that I am looking for. Thanks much on the advice. This forum consistantly delivers, every piece of my setup came from advice received here.
    Denon 3806 Receiver
    Denon 3910 DVD
    Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
    Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
    58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
    SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
    Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
    LsiC Center
    LsiFX Surrounds
    SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
    PBJ Interconnects
    Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"

Thread Information