Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RTi10 Mod #2...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thumbs up RTi10 Mod #2...

So a while ago I posted a thread where I showed how I painted the front of my black RTi10s because I thought the silver looked kind of cheap. It yielded satisfactory results but I still thought the speakers looked a little off, especially with the old grills. Additionally I decided that I no longer liked the black color of the speakers, the only reason I had actually chosen them over the cherry color is because I was able to get these for significantly less, and being in college, money is unfortunately never easy to come by. :p

Anyways, I decided to do a complete overhaul. I took the entire speakers apart, first sanding down the fronts to completely flat (I think I ended up taking about 1/2 inch total off) to get rid of all that cheap material on the front. Maybe someone can do a quick measurement to figure out exactly how I much I took off -- my RTi10s are now 14 and 1/4" deep.

Then I sanded down the exterior and stained the wood with 1 coat of Minwax Red Oak and applied 2 coats of polyurethane. Also I made some new grills using 3/8x3/8 strips of bass wood, a hand miter saw, some glue, and staples for the grill cloth. Who knew that my freshman year 3D design class would have been useful down the road, hah.

So here's how they came out, the second speaker is still in the works but its almost done and theoretically should be exactly the same as this one.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

That has a pretty cool 70s look. Great job!

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Looks great, but where are the grill less pics?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (43)

Please repost the pics from before. They disappeared from your other thread.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Looks great, but where are the grill less pics?
    Hah, I'll have to take some more pictures later.

Please repost the pics from before. They disappeared from your other thread.
    Re-uploaded them to my server -- should be working now. I'll just post them here so people don't have to go to the other thread. Here's what they looked like before:

Last edited by RedLetterDay; 05-18-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

I would keep the feet on them or at least spike them. Looks good, would also like to see before and after pics.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I like the new look. The black has done well to highlight the grain.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Congrats, the speakers look great!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (27)

You need to reattach the power port base to the rear port as it was designed for it to be in place.
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Red oak color looks nice. I am picking the color for my RT1000p, since I just finished veneering those
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    EluneVision 92" Cinema Gray fixed screen
    Onkyo TX-SR805 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Velodyne SMS-1
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 890 RF remote
    Panasonic TC-P50G20 TV + PS3 in the living room

Quote Originally Posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3 View Post
    You need to reattach the power port base to the rear port as it was designed for it to be in place.
    Eh... I did a test a while ago with it on one speaker and off the other and switched the balance back and forth, I couldn't hear any noticeable difference. That and the fact that it looks horribly ugly made me decide to just take them off.

Red oak color looks nice. I am picking the color for my RT1000p, since I just finished veneering those
    Cool deal, I just did one coat on the speaker above but I'm thinking on the second speaker I might try 2 and see how much of a difference it makes. :)

Thread Information