So a while ago I posted a thread where I showed how I painted the front of my black RTi10s because I thought the silver looked kind of cheap. It yielded satisfactory results but I still thought the speakers looked a little off, especially with the old grills. Additionally I decided that I no longer liked the black color of the speakers, the only reason I had actually chosen them over the cherry color is because I was able to get these for significantly less, and being in college, money is unfortunately never easy to come by. :p
Anyways, I decided to do a complete overhaul. I took the entire speakers apart, first sanding down the fronts to completely flat (I think I ended up taking about 1/2 inch total off) to get rid of all that cheap material on the front. Maybe someone can do a quick measurement to figure out exactly how I much I took off -- my RTi10s are now 14 and 1/4" deep.
Then I sanded down the exterior and stained the wood with 1 coat of Minwax Red Oak and applied 2 coats of polyurethane. Also I made some new grills using 3/8x3/8 strips of bass wood, a hand miter saw, some glue, and staples for the grill cloth. Who knew that my freshman year 3D design class would have been useful down the road, hah.
So here's how they came out, the second speaker is still in the works but its almost done and theoretically should be exactly the same as this one.