Thanks for taking the time to help me out with advice.
I've recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-52W5500 and have now started looking at the audio part of my HT. Previously I've owned a Sony entry level 5.1 system that's been ok but I'm now looking to improve in that department.
Currently I'm leaning towards buying a Sony STR-DA3400ES receiver, Emotiva XPA-5 and Polk LSi15, LSiC and LSiF/X. This combination is stretching my budget and I'll probably be buying it in steps starting with the receiver.
The reasoning is that I've read a lot of good things about the Sony STR-DA5400SE (best in class according to What HiFi among others) and it's cheaper sibling seems to contains the same stuff except a weaker amplifier.
This is where the XPA-5 comes in since I'll need an external amp to power the LSi line anyways.
Now some parts I haven't worked out:
- Is anyone aware if there are any other differences between the 3400 and 5400 receivers except power?
- I have three options for setup (I think):
- Use the XPA-5 to bi-amp the LSi15's and single amp the LSiC with the receiver handling the surrounds.
- Have the XPA-5 power each speaker.
- Go for the XPA-3 instead and only single amp the fronts and center channel once again letting the AVR handle the backs.
I've read the manuals for the receivers and I think it's possible to bi-amp using the pre-outs (it is possible using the speaker outputs) but it's not entirely clear so if anyone can confirm or deny that I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts/questions and any feedback is appreciated.