Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store

Thread: CS1000 Anyone??

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default CS1000 Anyone??

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone out there has a CS1000P at all and what the relative experience has been with it? I currently have a CS400P matched with RT1000P series all around and a Velodyne 15 sub but have never heard that center before.

Thanks!!

Joe

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have a friend with one. It rocks! :)

Old School

Man, don't do that.... thought you were offering a CS1000, not asking about a CS1000p. Had me all lathered up there for a second.

If you're just inquiring, fishing for opinions, better to post in the "Speaker" section. But as long as we are here...

Awesome seems to be the general response, bordering on too much of a good thang...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I have a cs1000 and think it is a great center. I had a cs400 and also think it is a great center. If you get a good deal on a cs1000 (under $500.00), I would probably get one. If you have a good pre/pro or receiver with adjustable crossovers, I would keep the 400. There really isn't much difference in the two. You can also buy a small subwoofer for the center and keep the 400. Bottom line, don't feel obligated to get the cs1000. You have a great center already.

Old School

Thanks Warlock... you may have just saved me as well as Gato $500 (or more). I just bagged a CS400 last week.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Personally, I think Polk goofed with the 1000 having built-in subs. Now if it was designed ala the SRT or CS350 center, with 4 mid-bass drivers...that would be a different story.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Told ya Bruce............nana nana boo boo. Stop fretting over the 1000 - the 400 is every bit as good for sound quality if you filter them both at anything over 60 Hz.

Like the RTi150, the CS1000 is a waste of $$ unless you run it on large, and even then it still doesn't do bass as well as your sub, so why bother? Plus the heavier bass vibes on your soon to be HDTV might affect long term reliability or picture quality.

Ya did GOOD bagging that 400 - it's an awesome center.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Relations
    Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

yeah i seccond the 400 it is truley a huge but great center. about twice the side of most but well worht the size. plus i have a big tv and it makes it look smaller.

also i feel anything anything smaller than a 10 in should not be considered a sub.(in most cases)they can not reach that far below 30 hz with out problems.

i just feel that the polk 6.5 in sub drivers are a bit over their head for real bass the 8 on the old 2000 and 3000 were better suted for bass.

i have ben a bass head sence i was 15 and my taste has refined sence then.
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Old School

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dr. Spec [/i]
    [B]Told ya Bruce............nana nana boo boo. Stop fretting over the 1000 - the 400 is every bit as good for sound quality if you filter them both at anything over 60 Hz.
    Ya did GOOD bagging that 400 - it's an awesome center. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Again, who's this Bruce guy??? ;)

"nana nana boo boo" ???? Either Doc's gotten in touch with his inner child (a little too in touch IMO) or his SVS finally melted his brain during the last FOTR showing... :lol:

Yeah, I know Doc, you told me... where'd you think I got the "bordering on too much of a good thang" comment? Just chalk it up to my "but-you-know-it's-out-there" inner demon.

I think I can contain myself with the 400, besides I've got a 350 coming my way, too... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Old School

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RuSsMaN [/i]
    [B]Personally, I think Polk goofed with the 1000 having built-in subs. Now if it was designed ala the SRT or CS350 center, with 4 mid-bass drivers...that would be a different story. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Not that I'm interested anymore :rolleyes:, but there is a non-powered CS1000, right?

Wasn't it part of the RT5000 package and was never sold as a separate by Polk?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tour2ma [/i]
    [B]
    Not that I'm interested anymore :rolleyes:, but there is a non-powered CS1000, right?

Wasn't it part of the RT5000 package and was never sold as a separate by Polk? [/B][/QUOTE]

All kidding aside - it was the Genny Ice beer, the popcorn, and the Jim Beam chaser than did it. That and the fact that I'm a BACHELOR this weekend (all the girls are OUT of town) made me giddy. Oh yeah, LOTR on the SVS didn't hurt either. :D

Honestly - AFAIK, the CS1000 has always been a powered center.

Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

Doc...Genny Ice!!! Geez, you can do better than that. Should of told me you were batching it this weekend. Would have made a good excuse for me to make a trip to Rochester and let the girls have the run of the place!!

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nellis8166 [/i]
    [B]Doc...Genny Ice!!! Geez, you can do better than that. Should of told me you were batching it this weekend. Would have made a good excuse for me to make a trip to Rochester and let the girls have the run of the place!!

-N [/B][/QUOTE]

Better watch your P's and Q's pardner - I WORK at High Falls. And for the record, Genny Ice is every bit as good as Labatt Blue Ice - we did a double blind at a party and few could tell the difference and those that could tell them apart weren't sure which one they like better.

Yeah some Polk minded company wouldn't have hurt - maybe next time.

Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

I have owned the cs400 and I now have the cs1000. The 1000 is an improvement over the 400.

I am surprised by some of the comments about the powered subs in the 1000. Why do you assume they are designed to take the place of your main sub? Set to large and adjusted correctly you have an amazing center. I'm running rt3000s, rt1000s, cs1000, as well as a psw450 and I love the sound I get. Not all of us subscribe to the take one svs and shove it in the corner! I like having full range out of all channels. Granted it is not the easiest thing to set up and calibrate correctly, But I think it is worth the time and effort

I know bass is not directional, but when there is an explosion behind me, I can tell if the sub is up front!

Don't get me wrong, svs subs are a great product.

And as far as the cs1000 on top of your television. I donít think you have to worry. In order for it to fit it will most likely be on top of a rear projection, more then far away from the electronics. It is not exactly designed for the 27 incher.

Just my 2 cents take it for what it is worth
    :D

The CS1000 is flat to 50 Hz and is -3B at 45 Hz. Hardly what I would call a bottom feeder.

Ditto for the RT800i, the RT1000, and the RT800. They are all flat to 40 Hz and none of them have any significant output or air moving capability below 35 Hz.

The RT3000p goes to 28 Hz strong and can legitimately be considered a full range speaker - although it too would benefit from deeper extension.

You have a fabulous system - but don't kid yourself into thinking you have full range speakers all around - you don't. Many DVD's have a full range, full power signal into all channels. If you run your speakers on large and they cannot do full justice to the bass in that channel - you're missing it - it's gone.

Why would you knowlingly send a speaker a signal it is incapable of properly producing? If it's because "I spent a lot of $$ on big towers all around and I'll be damned if I'm going to run them on small" then your logic is flawed and your ego is getting in the way of your journey to better sound.

Yes - bass CAN remain somewhat directional at 80 Hz (but not below 50 or so), and definitely a wooden floor will transmit vibrations from a given direction, and so will the air - so yes you CAN sometimes tell if there is a subwoofer behind you. The "stick a sub in a corner and high pass all the speaks at 80" theory HAS limitations, just like any other configuration. It just happends to work best for most HT systems using small to medium sized speakers.

Remember, several sources of low bass in one room also has its own unique set of compromises - namely the formation of standing waves and associated peaks and nulls. It CAN be done right, but typically requires the use of bass traps and some mighty sophisticated monitoring equipment like RTA's at several points in the room and at the key listening positions.

With speakers as big as yours, you would REALLY maximize your system's capabilities with a flexible digital bass management system that allows different high pass filter points for all your speakers and routes the rest to a dedicated subwoofer.

If I was setting up your system in that fashion, I would high pass your surround speakers as follows:

CS1000 - 50 Hz
    RT800i - 45 Hz
    RT800 - 45 Hz
    RT1000 - 45 Hz
    RT3000p- 30 Hz

There are digital bass managment systems out there that can accomplish this. You would definitely benefit from a sub that extends clean and loud to 20 Hz or below - none of your speakers are capable of that, including the RT3000.

With that said, I don't doubt your system sounds impressive right now - but if you are honest, you will admit you are dumping the deep bass in all your surround channels into a black hole, never to be heard from again.
    Last edited by Dr. Spec; 03-02-2003 at 11:07 AM.

Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

Sorry Doc, keep in mind that I grew in Maine which has a plethera of very tasty micro brews that I am used to. Can't get them here and everything else just is kind of blah for me I guess. Didn't mean to offend you.
    Ya ever heard of Magic Hat or Shipyard???...a couple of my favs.

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nellis8166 [/i]
    [B]Sorry Doc, keep in mind that I grew in Maine which has a plethera of very tasty micro brews that I am used to. Can't get them here and everything else just is kind of blah for me I guess. Didn't mean to offend you.
    Ya ever heard of Magic Hat or Shipyard???...a couple of my favs.

-N [/B][/QUOTE]

It's cool - no, I've never heard of those two brands. Do me a favor - try Kipling Light. A new light beer from us - dark and full of flavor - I can't believe it's only 99 calories. It's REALLY good for a light beer. In a huge Beta test, it blew away every other upscale light beer head to head. It's my new favorite.

Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

Doc...I'm off to buy a sixer as we speak!

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

-J. James

Old School

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dr. Spec [/i]
    [B]try Kipling Light. A new light beer from us - dark and full of flavor - I can't believe it's only 99 calories. It's REALLY good for a light beer.[/B][/QUOTE]
    A dark - light beer... is America a great place or what? :D

Doc, does the parent brewery still do Genny Cream Ale?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Yes - we own the rights to all brands and still make all the Genny products - Light, Ice, Cream Ale, Red, 12 Horse, and the regular Genny beer.

Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

Well the cs 10,000 does look great and as someone famous said it is much better to look good than to feel good

Old School

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dthomps [/i]
    [B]Well the cs 10,000 does look great ...[/B][/QUOTE] Damn, and just when I swore off the 1000, up pops a "10,000"... [img]http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/cool/cool-smiley-026.gif[/img]
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

Thread Information