Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Default Vandersteen speakers.

Anyone ever had there ears on a pair of Richard's speakers...in particular the 2Ce SIG II & the 3A SIGNATURE? He has an interesting design philosophy that is a departure from the main stream designs for sure. They all seem to get stellar reviews. Any opinions?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I have had the Vandersteens in the past- 1b, 2ci, 2ce, 2wq. They sound good- however really critical of room placement. In my room with high ceilings- they really did'nt gel at all- I had much better results with the polk vintage models.

If you research these on the web, you will read only good things- so I guess it just depends on your room.

BTW, if you have any questions and call up Vandersteen support, Richard V himself does answer the phone sometimes.

Azi

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Never heard a set. Went out to their site and they look pretty cool. No dealers near I live either.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Member Sales Rating: (8)

http://audioconnect.com/

Probably not too bad a drive for OP.

Heard their Vandersteen set-ups at shows with Ayre electronics and sound very nice (really like Vandersteen 5, but they are very expensive). Used to own Vandersteen 2ce and they are very nice for music lover (at first, may see too laid back and kind of dark, but very musical product).

Audio Connect people at show were friendly, so if you go at a non prime time for them, I'm guessing they would be happy to audition them for you (I'd listen to them with Ayre electronics, if you can).

edit: looks like they no longer carry Ayre. They have Magneplanar 1.6 speakers, though.
    Last edited by mshan242700; 05-28-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    FS: Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects (3 meter pair with RCA terminations; 1 meter pair also available) http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...10#post1929910
    FS: Roku 2 http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...71#post2033771

Quote Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
    http://audioconnect.com/

Probably not too bad a drive for OP.

Heard their Vandersteen set-ups at shows with Ayre electronics and sound very nice (really like Vandersteen 5, but they are very expensive). Used to own Vandersteen 2ce and they are very nice for music lover (at first, may see too laid back and kind of dark, but very musical product).

Audio Connect people at show were friendly, so if you go at a non prime time for them, I'm guessing they would be happy to audition them for you (I'd listen to them with Ayre electronics, if you can).

edit: looks like they no longer carry Ayre. They have Magneplanar 1.6 speakers, though.
    Thanks for the info, not too bad of a drive. I'll have to check on other possible dealers also.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001 View Post
    Anyone ever had there ears on a pair of Richard's speakers...in particular the 2Ce SIG II & the 3A SIGNATURE? He has an interesting design philosophy that is a departure from the main stream designs for sure. They all seem to get stellar reviews. Any opinions?
    You know we carry them right? You r welcome to come and listen. Very impressive if you can get over how they look, I don't like the look but they are truly a fantastic sounding speaker. From top of the line to the bottom, very nice.
    I'm sure we can give you a good deal on them as well.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Hey Dan, no I didn't realize that you carried them. I'll have to get up there to give them & the Mythos a listen. That should be a fun comparison. I'll be in touch.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I listened to the 2Ce's a while ago and really liked the sound - always wanted to get a pair.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I own a pair of 2CE. The room is less than ideal and they are probably placed too close to the room corners. I enjoy their sound...I find their mids and highs to be very clear and "crisp" but not over emphasized. I run them with a 12" subwoofer and all is great! I wonder how much better they would be in proper placement.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Hey Dan, no I didn't realize that you carried them. I'll have to get up there to give them & the Mythos a listen. That should be a fun comparison. I'll be in touch.
    A bit of unfair as the Mythos St destroy the Vandersteins but thats in my opinion. Some may like them more. The St's go deep and strong and the top end is tight and controlled. It's a full range speakers. The V's don't dig like that and they need a lot of power to drive them. Wonder speakers when setup properly. I did a guys system with a full 7.1 and B&K and it was a very Impressive sounding system. I liked it but hated that way they look.

Send me a email or call me. We can hook up at the Lab and do some demoing. It will be fun. I will bring the St's in the V room and do a side by side. Or we can go into the High end Krell room and get nutty.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

I consider the 2C's one of those "must own on the road of audiophiledom" speakers. I sold mine, but still have a soft spot for them. One of those "had to sell to continue on the journey" speakers that you can REALLY miss

they gobbled the power from my Carver and sounded damn good doing it. one word description? SMOOTH!

Definitely one of those speakers that if they come off "bright", you have either dire issues in your chain, or listening environment......or probably both

Russman said I was nuts for selling them, the man with the huge mellon and tiny neck had a point.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Thread Information