Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Default GOLDEN TUBE AUDIO SE40 Pure Class A Tube Amplifier

Anybody have experiance with this amp? is it worth $400

Thanks,

Larry.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I don't know this amp, but $400 for a pure class A amp is cheap.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I thought Russman owned one and seem to recall it was one of his favs.

I think Russ has passed it on to another member after some mods.

GTA made excellent sounding gear. Problem is reliability. If you know a good technician, you are safe.

My GTA SEP-1 pre amp is my favorite tube pre amp. It did have to go to the shop twice. First time was to replace the pot and second time was an issue with the B+ voltage.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I used to sell them a few years back.They sound ok,but we did have a lot of reliability issues,catching fire,that sort of thing.......

187CAM

GTA stuff is pretty damn good..IMO. But as mentioned you may want to have it checked before REALLY enjoying it.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

They are notoriously failure prone; probably part of the reason that the company is no longer extant.
    all the best,
    mrh

Jeff Glowacki @ SonicCraft used to Mod the Golden Tube Audio SE 40 to improve both the sound of the amps and cure the reliability issues that the stock units had. The mod sevice from SonicCraft is no longer available but they do offer a kit to perform the mods with.The Sonicraft Modded SE 40 has a fine reputation.
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by W WALDECKER View Post
    Jeff Glowacki @ SonicCraft used to Mod the Golden Tube Audio SE 40 to improve both the sound of the amps and cure the reliability issues that the stock units had. The mod sevice from SonicCraft is no longer available but they do offer a kit to perform the mods with.The Sonicraft Modded SE 40 has a fine reputation.
    I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revive it for a few quick questions. I listened to one of these tonight and was impressed by the sound. It's a three tube parallel SE design with significant power and class A SE qualities. Decent build quality for a PCB build other than the use of too many pin connections.

Can you tell me of the reliability issues that are a concern. This one had a problem with poor contact with the "something similar to a molex type" plug that was causing filament power to be lost to one channel. Are there other known concerns? Other than that pesky catching fire thing?
    Last edited by dcmeigs; 03-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Russ man I believe just got one and was getting my Golden Tube Audio SEP-1 pre amp to match.

Supposed to be a good match when they are combined but on their own also nice. There were issues with reliability and IE why they are no longer in business.
    2 Channel-
    Soundlab M3PX
    BAT VK-31
    Wyred SX1000 monos
    Esoteric DV50
    Dynavector p75 modded phono stage
    Rega P25 modded-Denon 103R Cart
    Squeezebox Touch
    Modded Music Hall DAC Burson op amps
    Richard Grey 600S
    MIT Shotgun IC's and SC

Quote Originally Posted by dcmeigs View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revive it for a few quick questions. I listened to one of these tonight and was impressed by the sound. It's a three tube parallel SE design with significant power and class A SE qualities. Decent build quality for a PCB build other than the use of too many pin connections.

Can you tell me of the reliability issues that are a concern. This one had a problem with poor contact with the "something similar to a molex type" plug that was causing filament power to be lost to one channel. Are there other known concerns? Other than that pesky catching fire thing?
    i own two of these amps.one is a stock unit and the other i bought fully modded by a EE named Loc Vu who is the resident GTA Guru over at the Yahoo Golden Tube Audio Group. there are certain resistors installed in the stock amps that were barely up to spec when new and over time they can degrade and the resistor may go POOF! on the other hand a modded unit can sound really beautiful. i remembered Russman was very fond of these amps and a few years ago i saw and bought one in pristine condition used from Echo Audio for about $450.00 and it was the best bang for buck that i have had in this hobby.do a little work on it and you will be rewarded with a very nice sounding reliable Class A Single ended parallel tube amplifier that will sound better than 90%of the PP tube amps out there go join the Yahoo GTA Group and people who know will answer any reasonable questions you may have. there are some nice people in that group and Loc Vu sells Kits to mod the SE40 yourself if you are so inclined he likes Russian PIO caps but you can put any flavor you like in yours.good luck....WCW III
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

Member Sales Rating: (0)

For the record, Loc Vu is no EE, Sonic Craft still performs the most advanced upgrades for the SE-40, and this is the yahoo group for SE-40 help: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GTA_SE-40/

Quote Originally Posted by W WALDECKER View Post
    on the other hand a modded unit can sound really beautiful.
    I agree. I own a modded SEP-1 I got from Russman around 8 years ago or so. Got it modded about 3 years ago and the difference is incredible. The original sound signature and tonal balance is still the same but everything else (dynamics, bass, resolution, etc) increased a lot. Still my favorite tube pre amp.

GTA gear sound great when they're working properly and they sound excellent when modded (done properly, of course).
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Receiver: Harman/Kardon HK3390
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT1000p
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information