Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Default Amplifier Question

Hey Guys,

I am currently borrowing a Phase Linear Amp ( Model 400 - Solid State) from my brother.

This is the first amp. that I have used with my VSX 92 THX Pioneer Elite as a pre-amp.

I am powering my new set of Monitor 10b's and Monitor 7a's.

My question is, has anyone used this amp and how does it compare to the newer amps. i.e. Carver TFM series. I realize that Carver built the Linear's. Just wondering how they compare with other amps.

Thanks

Tony

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

You should wait for the Carver boys on this one. But as I recall that was a VERY early Carter....sometime in the 70s after he'd designed a better amp first...don't remember that number? The 400s received 'mixed' reviews...and a lot of complaints. But some liked them? In any case, if that amp hasn't been looked at it no doubt needs a major overhaul, new caps, etc. Over 30 years old!

Ok guys take it away....!

cnh

GV#27

The Phase Linear is a powerful brute but a little long in the tooth.Amplifer design has come a long way,you can expect a well designed more modern amp to sound a lot more refined.
    Last edited by GV#27; 06-04-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

+1. The PL amps were outstanding in their day and offered power few amps of the time could match, but almost all of the later Carver models will outperform it.
    Lots of Carver stuff and a pair of LSi9's

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Thanks for the info guys. I pulled out the whole system and hooked the Phase's up to the 15's. You guys are correct. Big differrence.

Just need to come up with some scratch to get a TFM.

Tony

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

I currently feel the same way about "classic" Carver amps that a lot of us have. I think they are great power houses with pretty good SQ, but not a world class amp. Designs have come a ways even since they were created.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have heard both PL and Carver TFM and I like the TFM's better. All the Carver TFM's are ment to sound like a tube amp. Carver designed them to sound like his $22,000 Silver 9 tube amps.

If you really want to go crazy IMO two of the best amps he ever made was the Sunfire 300x2 and Sunfire 600x2.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Member Sales Rating: (12)

+1 on the sunfire 300x2... you can find them around 700/800 bucks and you can choose a line source/current source output to the speakers. What Bob recommends is to run the line source to the low end and the current source output to the highs. They are a fantastic bargain IMHO...
    HT Setup... Pioneer Elite SC-37, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TL's , Oppo BDP 93
    Two Channel... Carver Statement 450~1 Vacuum Tube Monoblocks, Dodd Mid-line Tube Linestage with Psvane 12Ax7 tubes, Pioneer Pdd 9Mk II SACD Player, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable with Sumiko BPS EvoIII, Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Thread Information