Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Thumbs down HDMI 1.4 not compatible with current HDMI 1.3 WTF?

ok.. as soon as I go HDMI in my system they are planning to change the HDMI to 1.4 specs. which is not compatible with HDMI 1.3 connections we currently use.. the connectors will be larger and carry ethernet as well.

"The upcoming HDMI 1.4 specifications — which have just been released today, offers a bunch of interesting features. Of course things have not been made easier since there are five HMDI1.4 cables to choose from (and some will try to rip you off), but at least the new capabilities will feature an Ethernet channel that enables countless IP-based applications and will enable high-speed bi-directional communication.

And althought AV enthusiasts may not be that happy about it, the new HDMI 1.4 also features an audio return channel (ARC) that will reduce the number of cables required to deliver audio upstream, 3D over HDMI that will specify up to dual-stream 1080p resolutions and 4K x 2K resolution that will support HD resolutions four times beyond 1080p.

With a significantly smaller micro HDMI connector (around half the size of the existing Mini plug) and an automotive connection system, HDMI 1.4 is all about a much better HD experience.

The only thing that makes it an annoying addition is the fact that you’ll have to choose from a Standard HDMI Cable, a High Speed HDMI Cable, a Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet, a High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet and an Automotive HDMI Cable. Isn’t it a bit too much?
    Last edited by danger boy; 06-10-2009 at 04:06 PM.

The sad part is, they probably could have released this a long time ago...but in the interest of raping the consumer...they didn't.

So what...are the HDMI connections on my AVR obsolete now?

Makes me glad that I haven't gone HDMI yet.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Crap like this is why I love IC's.
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Yep. Audioholic's had an artical on this about a month ago. This is one of many reasons I am holding off not using HDMI until I really have too.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...-4-coming-soon
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Actually, the smaller HDMI plug is only for automotive/mobile use.

The standard plug is still present in 1.4, and is backwards compatible with all other revisions. (At least, that's what i've taken from different articles on it)

The 4 or 5 different choices for cables is ridiculous though...oh well, i'll just get the best cable for $5 from monoprice!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNightly View Post
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Quote Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

Blu-Ray player: Samsung BD-P1600
    TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Why in the blue hell would you need hdmi in an automotive install?

So anything doing current HMDI switching becomes useless.
    Internet? Let me guess, more DRM crap.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post
    Duh...so you can have 1080p and lossless surround codecs in your whip dawg!

I agree though...I don't see the point. I used to wonder why you'd need a tv in your car, then I wondered why you'd need a DVD player in your car. Now we've got 6 TV screens(including one in the engine compartment, one in the steering wheel and one on the undercarriage), Blu-ray players and 7.1 surround sound in cars.

Personally, I don't do to much movie watching in my car. I think I'd rather sit on my couch...with a real TV, not a 5.5" screen.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Quote Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post
    What about an RV? We have a HD TV with 5.1 in our RV.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t

Quote Originally Posted by thuffman03 View Post

OK, I'll give you that...:D
    I do my camping in a tent, so I didn't think of rv's.

Not really...for the most part i'm not seeing anything worth switching for right now.

3D? No thanks.
    Ethernet over HDMI?...don't need it right now.
    4k resolution? I don't need/want a new tv, so don't want it.

1.3 does everything I need and want right now for a great HT experience.
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

I suppose I can kind of see it in that scenario, but to me, that would defeat the purpose of an RV.

I suppose you go camping in your RV? With HDTV and 5.1 surround sound? Sorry to say...that isn't camping.;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    I suppose I can kind of see it in that scenario, but to me, that would defeat the purpose of an RV.

I suppose you go camping in your RV? With HDTV and 5.1 surround sound? Sorry to say...that isn't camping.;)
    Yes this is not camping. Though were we use it is to go to NASCAR races. But that converstatioin should be in another thread.

As for 1.4 I have already stated that I am not going to use HDMI until I am forced too.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Tis the very reason why I still run component video and analog IC's for hi-res audio. ;)
    THE SYSTEM
    Polk Audio LSi25 Mains
    Polk LSiF/X Surrounds
    Polk Audio LSiC Center
    Definitive Technology PowerField 1800 Subwoofer
    Parasound Classic 7100 Pre/Pro
    Parasound 2205A Amplifier
    Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu-ray Player
    Monster HTS 2600
    Microsoft XBox 360
    Samsung PN64D550 64" Plasma

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Why hold off on hdmi? This is why I only spent $3 per hdmi at monoprice. Cheap cables but they get the job done.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Yes this is not camping. Though were we use it is to go to NASCAR races. But that converstatioin should be in another thread.

As for 1.4 I have already stated that I am not going to use HDMI until I am forced too.
    Alright, that's a lot different then.

It irritates me when people have RV's that they go "camping" in, when the RV is nicer than my house...lol

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Why hold off on hdmi? This is why I only spent $3 per hdmi at monoprice. Cheap cables but they get the job done.
    It's not just the cables that are now obsolete, it's the HDMI ports themselves. The HDMI connections on your AVR, DVD player, Blu-ray player...all obsolete now. That's why I'm holding off on HDMI.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Banned

i cant believe the ports are redundant ? surely there will be some kinda adapter coming out along with this . The thing that worries me is the 2k 4k coming out because i was gona take the plunge for a new projector soon .I think i'm gona have to pay special attention to the infocomm show next week to see what kinda stuffs gona come out with the 3d or with 1.4, man everythings got 1.3 ports, xbox,ps3,dvr and it sucks now this

I don't think you'd be able to use an adapter for this. The jack is just a jack...the processing for the HDMI is all done within the components themselves.

If anything, there may be firmware updates that can get the HDMI up to spec, but I doubt it.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Banned

i dont understand the usage for the arc audio return channel .What the hell do we need internet connections in an hdmi cable for , that one just blows my mind

I for one don't see ANY reason to "upgrade" to 1.4, especially since that will apparently warrant a new TV, reciever, AND blu-ray player.
    My System:

I just pulled this off of the www.hdmi.org site:

Are HDMI 1.4 devices going to be backwards-compatible with older HDMI (v.1.0 - 1.3) devices?
    Yes, devices built to the HDMI 1.4 specification will be fully backwards-compatible with existing HDMI devices and their features

If that's the case, then either the connectors are the same size, or they will offer an adapter of some sort.

Last edit hopefully!

Micro HDMI Connector
    What kinds of products will use a Micro HDMI Connector?
    Mobile phones, portable media players, digital cameras, or any portable device where space is at a premium and HDMI quality is desired.
    Last edited by ryanjoachim; 06-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    My System:

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    I for one don't see ANY reason to "upgrade" to 1.4, especially since that will apparently warrant a new TV, reciever, AND blu-ray player.
    x10000

I don't think I'll be moving to HDMI 1.4 anytime soon. From the sounds of it, all of the benefits that it offers don't really interest me that much anyway.

I'll move to 1.4 once they come out with HDMI 2.0...lol

I just pulled this off of the www.hdmi.org site:

Are HDMI 1.4 devices going to be backwards-compatible with older HDMI (v.1.0 - 1.3) devices?
    Yes, devices built to the HDMI 1.4 specification will be fully backwards-compatible with existing HDMI devices and their features

If that's the case, then either the connectors are the same size, or they will offer an adapter of some sort.
    Interesting...so I guess 1.3 isn't completely obsolete afterall. But, if you want to enjoy the new benefits, you still have to upgrade basically every piece of the front end of your HT.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Nothing to get exited about, it will be at least a couple of years before manufacturers actually use it.

I do wonder why they bothered. Most ethernet devices are going wireless, so who needs that in the HDMI cable? As far as 2k and 4k video, what sources will there be? TV and cable companies are not going to spend the money on the equipment, they haven't even fully adopted current HD specs. And with the very slow adoption of Blu-Ray, I doubt CE manufacturers will want yet another disc format.
    Whole thing seems pointless.

Seems like a bunch of hooplah to me, there has to be an adapter of some sort that would render your current cables unuseless if there is a design change. Also, seems like there would be a firmware update for it too, but that would be too easy, lol. Guess I'll worry about this when and if it happens, Good find though neighbor.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    Alright, that's a lot different then.

It irritates me when people have RV's that they go "camping" in, when the RV is nicer than my house...lol

It's not just the cables that are now obsolete, it's the HDMI ports themselves. The HDMI connections on your AVR, DVD player, Blu-ray player...all obsolete now. That's why I'm holding off on HDMI.
    If we hold off buying cables & electronics until... we will never buy anything as once you get off the store your product is bound to be obsolete in a matter of months or a year or so. The best you can do is to wisely shop and future proof as much as possible. I still own 2 CRTs which I guess will still work for quite a few years. Obsolete? Who cares, it works and will not change till it die! Wanted an HT, shopped wisely and got best my money could buy! Does the HDMI 1.4 makes my set-up obsolete? Not really yet, the 1.4 has to prove it self, if not not it might be the one becoming obsolete.

The standard plug is still present in 1.4, and is backwards compatible with all other revisions. (At least, that's what i've taken from different articles on it)
    Backward compatibility is key with newer technologies and I forecast that if the rev is reliable this is the only one that will live. The newer incompatible cables will more likely die before any other previous rev.

Quote Originally Posted by slowpolky View Post
    i dont understand the usage for the arc audio return channel .What the hell do we need internet connections in an hdmi cable for , that one just blows my mind
    we do not need such but surely an advantage for company controlling/monitoring through the internet. Think of of the reason for HDMI existence, mainly for the manufacturers and a tad improvement for us. Think about companies monitoring your gear and if anything suspicious freezing or bricking it! It was also forcasted years ago that all your telecommunications would all be centralized to one unit. Many people tought it was science fiction, well it's at the door NOW!

Yep. Audioholic's had an artical on this about a month ago. This is one of many reasons I am holding off not using HDMI until I really have too.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...-4-coming-soon
    that's what I thought I was doing.. holding off till all the components were HDMI 1.3 and I did. I waited 4 yrs to go HDMI and bam they annouce the release of HDMI 1.4 ****ers! all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjoachim View Post
    i once thought the same exact thing way back when DVI was the digital standard.. I bought a new pre amp and TV with DVI.. then within a year.. HDMI was finalized and is the current standard.. now DVI all but gone from home theater and i'm stuck.. just three years into my now complete home theater.

three weeks ago I bought a new TV with 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, now we're hearing that HDMI 1.4 was just released.

I'm good with my 1.3 setup. It will probably be sometime before 1.4 is in components anyway and the spec released. I dont need the ethernet in HDMI, so I'm set, but agreed they could have done this the first time.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Banned

Smile

I do wonder why they bothered. Most ethernet devices are going wireless, so who needs that in the HDMI cable? As far as 2k and 4k video, what sources will there be? TV and cable companies are not going to spend the money on the equipment, they haven't even fully adopted current HD specs. And with the very slow adoption of Blu-Ray, I doubt CE manufacturers will want yet another disc format.

i dont agree, technology and data compression doubles every 2 years , Your thoughts are based on the storage of media, There is already 8k 4k projectors on the market for a consumer to buy , they use nano pixels and have smaller cabinets housing lazers .Thats 32 million pixels compaired to the 2 mill used in 1080. The future of digital media will be found in the form of downloaded content .Be it tv or video games , Its already happening , just check out the video machine called on live. With this tec video game stores will have to close there doors. You can play crisis on your grandmas pc

Thread Information