Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Talking OLD sound versus NEW sound

Broad topic - lots of possibilities - lets see where this one leads us.

I will begin with two blanket statements that I believe in.

Old Sound - Master of stereo. In my experience, nothing can beat the sheer musical experience of good, old vintage gear.

New Sound - Hyper accurate and incredibly versitile, gives you thrills in the theater while maintaining decent musical performance.

tag - your it

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Well, The only experience I have with OLD sound is Klipsch Chorus speakers. I will say that these speakers have an awesome two channel thrill to them. They have the effect, loudness, and feel that all 5 of my speakers have playing at once. They truly are awesome, even if they are not my cup of tea. I am guessing the main objective in the 'old sound' was stereo. Im more of a multi-channel music fan myself.

As above, I have barely any experience to even the new sound. I know you can get alot more for your money though. They are usually quite smaller than old speakers. With these small speakers you can receive sound that these huge speakers once had. The impact just is not there. I like the new sound, but I would trade anything to just HEAR a SDA-SRS 1.2TL. IMO
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I haven't heard the new LSi line yet, but I'll chime in with a few thoughts on the Polk's I have heard.

VR3 said it quite nicely. The newer line just doesn't have the impact that the older larger speakers had. I'm just used to my SRS 2.3 and their three 1" tweeters, six 6 1/2" mids and 15" passive sub built in to each channel. The new stuff does sound very very nice, but they just don't have the large soundstage. My Nephew has a set of RT55i's and they do sound great. Again, it's the size of the soundstage.

One of these days I'll make it out to demo the new LSi line.

John
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Old - warm, musical, natural, listen for hours at a time and walk away happy
    New - bright, harsher, but more detailed, ok for music, if you don't listen for more than a few hours, but my does it pound in movies!

Seems like the HT boom has drawn people into the "movie" sound at the expense of the "music" sound. When typical people think of home theater, they think of acoustically perfect darkened soundproofed rooms with speakers (gasp) integrated into the walls, and a 2000" screen. Great for movies, but I would probably walk away in disguist if I listened to music on it. A shame really, as a good surround system can sound just as good on music and movies if set up properly. The electronics industry does itself a disservice by pushing the home theater theme, I think a lot more people would be drawn to "home entertainment" instead. It sounds less intimidating, more light and airy (not some interior room with no windows), and not so snooty, like you HAVE to have the perfect everything, and if you don't have some dedicated room with no windows and formal seating than you can't even consider it a home theater. (stepping down from my soapbox...)

Stronzo

Just had one of those "revelation" moments. Please bear with me as I ramble on publically. I am no stranger to humility, why begin now?

There was always something that bothered me about the sound in my room. It never seemed to be enough, and something always seemed missing. Tonight - it just all came to me and hit me like a ton of bricks.

I have always enjoyed sorround sound, more so than anything else. Unfortunately I have been confined by means of space and money, being left with little other option than to settle for two-channel audio. Through the years I have subconciously attempted to gather as much "sorround sound" capabilities from two speakers as much as possible. While in essence a failure, I have learned a lot from those experiences.

It was not until I began to demo high-end two channel rigs, when pieces of the puzzle slowley but surely came together. Even respected gear that extended well beyond 5 k simply could not appeal to me. The only modern two-channel rig I thoroughly enjoyed consisted of B&W 802 nauts, and a mark levinson set-up. Of course, not having around 25k or so in my pocket, it will have to remain a distant dream.

While I appreciate gear, like the LSi's, I am still not preciesly satisfied. It has finally come to my realization that the LSi's are meant for multi-channel music and would truelly come to life in such an application. I would imagine their hollow void would be filled by constant, sorround sound. Come to think of it, the closest affordable thing I have come to satisfaction with stereo has been the SDA's.

The SDA's, while not the cleanest speaker in the world, filled my whole room up with sound. Clearly it was stereo, but it was good stereo. It had a certain "this is how it was meant to sound" appeal to them. Now I find myself feeling like a fool. Wasting all this time and cash on gear that is never even meant to specialize in what I desire..... while ditching the stuff that was. If only it could have all come together at once, instead of little pieces at a time.

You live and learn, but at least now I know what to do, and what not to do.

A humble, yet very sad,

Sean

meestercleef

I like HT, but I love good 2-ch. I could probably be quite happy w/a 3-spkr (L/C/R) system & a top-flite good used PL rcvr w/the Dolby 3 option, only because I find dialogue harder to hear if I don't have a center. But I absolutely must have something that sounds good to me w/2-ch music, no sub. Surrounds are a great thing, I'm glad I have 'em, but I'm not surround-obsessed. As far as old goes, there's some great mono out there!

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Not big on music, so I love the new stuff with movies.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The new stuff is better with everything - music and HT.

Even my new P.O.S. $70 Sherwood stereo receiver sounds great with my Advents. It might be heresy, but it actually sounds better than my 15 year old h/k pre/pro and amp combo did. Channel separation and detail is noticebly better, and the bass is tight and clean and the treble is brassier on cymbals and horns - it's embarassing actually.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Relations
    Specialty Technologies
    SVSound

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

I've always thought that if it plays music well, it will be fine for HT.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Music and movies are similar, but not really the same. Movies need a system that will hammer and pound, while most music doesn't venture far below 40hz, but music needs more detail and "musicality" (if I can use that word in this context). I always think that if it can't do music than forget it. If it can do music AND hammer and pound, then you have yourself a winner.

Originally posted by rs159
    Music and movies are similar, but not really the same. Movies need a system that will hammer and pound, while most music doesn't venture far below 40hz, but music needs more detail and "musicality" (if I can use that word in this context). I always think that if it can't do music than forget it. If it can do music AND hammer and pound, then you have yourself a winner.
    My friend, you just described Klipsch. You are on the wrong forum. ;)

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Hey now, there's always brand loyalty to think about. ;)

Originally posted by rs159
    Hey now, there's always brand loyalty to think about. ;)
    Yeah, I guess so. I want to see some NEW Polk speakers with atleast (4) 6.5 inch woofers, and atleast (2) 1 inch tweeters. To add to that, (1) or (2) 15 inch passive radiators. That would be a sure investment for me even if they wouldn't go two feet in my room. HAHA!

Stronzo

Klipsch has a unique sound. If you dig it, they are gems...... If you dont, well, better look elsewhere.

Klipsch, Are loud. Therefore they must be good. No?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

They are loud mainly because their efficiency rating is higher than most other speakers.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Those MTX 12" floorstanders have an efficiency of 94db. They must be good, right? They are loud as hell so they must be quality! But back on topic here, old vs. new...

Well...my two channel rig consists of a JCV receiver and a pair of old Advent Herrtiage towers. It sounds nice, more so than you would thing. Those Advents produce an amazing amount of bass.
    It was my first rig and I could never part with it.

The difference between the 2 channel and home theater rig is remarkable. I love the home theater rig for surround sound. I am impressed with Dolby Plus II. The LSI's are amazing for surround music and movies. Disgustingly accurate, made for the digital revolution.

Both systems have their ups and downs but I love them equally and could never part with either one of them.

-N
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James

Personally, I don't have that much cash to piss away, so I try to do a hybrid system that is mostly geared towards music, but can still have gut rumble and slam in movies. Some of the music I listen to can get pretty demanding, so if it does ALL of my music justice, then quality HT should be no sweat.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I've noticed a much bigger difference in speakers than in electronics. However higher-end models that were once beyond my budget can be had for a decent price nowadays.
    Make it Funky! :)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Klipsch, Are loud. Therefore they must be good. No?
    I've heard some damn loud Dodge Neons... that means they must be good, no? Phhhht

Loud is not musical. If the speakers remain musical at high volumes, then yes, they are good.

On the topic of the thread- I prefer the old sound for music. I listen to a lot of classic rock, and especially for that type of music old sound is better. I currently have my 2 ch rig powered by my JVC amp, which is only 2 years old, because my old Pioneer SX-450 just doesn't have enough power to push my 5jrs AND my MA-3dx speakers.

I'm currently looking on eBay to get one of the higher-powered SX- model Pioneer amps. Unfortunately, I won't have the money to get anything 'til summertime rolls around.

nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!

When you think about, movies are music. What good would a movie be if it had no soundtrack? How many movie soundtacks can you buy on CD? Even people who like movies subconsciosly like the music. A system that can't do music will certainly ruin movies.

Thread Information