Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Default PS3 streaming audio formats?

I've done some searching on this site...maybe not enough, and I've gotten my PS3 to recognize my Windows Media Player V.11...for a while now....but..?

The question remains. Does Sony PREVENT you from playing WMA lossless files the CD of which you ACTUALLY OWN? Because I can't play them.

I see it has a WMA enabled but I assume that's lossy WMA?

And it can also play WAVE files. Now can it play uncompressed Wave files or must they also be compressed? I realize Sony has its head up its..you know what...but this is frustrating.

Is there ANYWAY of getting a PS3 to play lossless format from your laptop? And if so, can you also copy that onto the PS3s hard drive?

Also is 320k bit-rate the BEST Sony can do in importing your CDs? Man that suxx!

Thanks..

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 07-07-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

Here is info from the horse's mouth (Sony)..

* Music files copied to storage media are saved in the [MUSIC] folder. If there is no [MUSIC] folder on the storage media, it will be created automatically.
    * Depending on the device in use, some copied files may not be playable.
    * An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system.
    * Take care not to infringe the intellectual property of others.
    * Copyright-protected music files cannot be copied to the hard disk.
    * Music files cannot be copied during playback.*

* Includes content playback using other features, such as display of image files.

Thank YOU SONY!!!

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I have PS3 but it's collecting dust till I rent a blu-ray from netflix. I probably should try using it and learn what else it can do for me.

Well it will stream the formats I mention above...from your PC or laptop. If you download WMP V.11 from Microsoft...it's free--or google's PS3 Media Server. Then you have to allow exceptions in your Windows firewall...in order for the player to find the PS3 over your local network. And allow file sharing from WMP 11 Library menu, etc.

You can also use it as a web browser...easier if you get the blue-tooth keyboard for it (which I don't have)...and there a ton of other things it could do if Sony would let go of its CP mania! And it's got a bit less than 80 gigs of storage for you unprotected files? Mp3 or Video, and you can import and store your CDs at 320K as far as I can tell so far.. If there are any work-arounds you 'tech-heads' out there. I'm listening!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 07-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    Well it will stream the formats I mention above...from your PC or laptop. If you download WMP V.11 from Microsoft...it's free--or google's PS3 Media Server. Then you have to allow exceptions in your Windows firewall...in order for the player to find the PS3 over your local network. And allow file sharing from WMP 11 Library menu, etc.

You can also use it as a web browser...easier if you get the blue-tooth keyboard for it (which I don't have)...and there a ton of other things it could do if Sony would let go of its CP mania! And it's got a bit less than 80 gigs of storage for you unprotected files? Mp3 or Video, and you can import and store your CDs at 320K as far as I can tell so far.. If there are any work-arounds you 'tech-heads' out there. I'm listening!

cnh

How is the browser on the PlayStation 3? I will be soon be purchasing a PlayStation 3 for streaming music from my computer, and browsing the web. Also, not to mention Blu-ray :D
    Samsung LN52A850 (52" 1080P LCD TV) | RTi A9's (Fronts) | Csi A6(Center) | FXi A6 (Rear Surrounds) | SVS PB12-NSD (Sub) | Oppo BDP-103 | Panamax M5300-PM

Pre-Amp: Marantz AV7005 | Amp: Emotiva XPA-5 | Speaker wires: Signal Cables | Interconnects: Signal Cables

Member Sales Rating: (4)

cnh
    I've tried the browser in the ps3 and it's lightweight type browser which takes longer to load pages. It also crashes frequently during youtube playbacks. It's due to low memory allocation or reserves left or system resources are very low (sounds like windows? eh...)

I didn't try digital streaming from ps3 since I have dedicated HTPC with Claro+ sound card which is better than ps3...I don't know what version you got but I paid mine $499 which is SACD compatible with 80GB disks and MGS4. I only used it about 20 times to watch bluray and it seems like I made a bad investment with it...:D
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Why jack around with WMP 11? Just get PS3 Media Server and be done with it
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

I have both on my laptop but haven't explored thee PS3 Media Server....what would I gain with that?

Thanks?

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Quote Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
    Why jack around with WMP 11? Just get PS3 Media Server and be done with it
    Do you care to elaborate?

I have a Mac, so the WMP11 is n/a here....

Thanks
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3 Looking for a gently used Oppo BD95, Speakers - RTiA9's, CSiA6, FXi A4, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250

Living Room:
    TV - Kuro Elite PRO-111FD, Fronts.Rti10's (not connected yet), Media source, Logitech Revue

*Need to fix a used ADCOM GFA-555. Do you know where to have it services in Texas (Houston Area)?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hey cnh, are you looking to just copy MP3's to your PS3? If you are that is "easy" enough. Copy the files from your laptop to a thumb drive, and put it into one of the USB ports. Then wait until it pops up in the menu under Music I think it is. Highlight it and hit the triangle button, there should be an option to "display all" it will then bring up another menu showing all the files on that flash drive. Once in that menu you can hit triangle again and then select "copy multiple" to copy all the files or select "copy" and click the files you want individually. Once you select "copy" or "copy multiple" it will ask you to confirm you want to copy, and select "yes" or "ok" I forget which one it is. My son does it all the time with his thumb drive and even from his Sony MP3 player without too many issues. It should put them in your Music folder, but I am not positive about that. He has only ever used a flash drive, but it may work with an external hard drive or similar storage device. Those "Nerd Sticks" as I call them are pretty cheap these days and if you don't already have one, they are a good investment. Hope this helps.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Member Sales Rating: (2)

cnh,

I stream lossless wma to the ps3 without a problem, so it can be done. IIRC, I had to uncheck the enable wma box and then recheck it to get wma to work. Since then, i've never had a problem. Do the song files show up in the music folders in the PS3? If not, there is another box you have to check in the ps3 settings. DLNA maybe? I can check when I get home.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides

W-23, thanks but I can stream MP3s no problem. Google's PS3 Media Server also allows me to stream DVDs in ISO format to the PS3...but it (Disc Jockey) doesn't seem, so far, to recognize any WMA LOSSLESS files on my laptop

Is the PS3's WMA setting able to deal with lossless...evidently, yes, at least with regard to streaming. I look forward to your follow up, Disc J. Because my screen reads NO FILES in every case so far for WMA lossless.

Thanks...you'd think they'd make this easier. The PS3 doesn't even come with a 'decent' manual...and the on line help is NOT as extensive as it should be. When I set the unit up for wireless...the literature that came with it didn't even say it has 'wireless' abilities? And the manual on the Sony site is a piecemeal mosaic that requires you to search it, read it then FILL IN THE MISSING PARTS! Really bad marketing IMHO!

cnh

ATRAC was the thing I was thinking of that I had needed to enable, but that's not going to help you. I knew that I had ripped all my CDs lossless but they are WAV, not WMA. Sorry to get your hopes up.

You might try tversity, I believe it can transcode your WMA files on the fly to something the ps3 will support. I have never used it but I know people that have and are happy with it. Good luck.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides

Thanks DiscJ.

As I haven't stored that many CDs on the drive yet...I can easily copy all new files as WAV files...so you're saying that it can play LOSSLESS WAV(E)? That's good news!

Thanks

cnh

It definitely plays lossless WAV, bitrate at 1411 kbps. That's the way all my CDs are stored and I stream wirelessly to my ps3 without a hiccup.

Good thing you haven't stored many yet!

Thanks again..D.J.

Just ripped my first lossless WAV disc....works like a CHARM! This is going to make life a lot easier!

cnh

NP...have fun.

DJ

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've played with the media server a little, and it seems to work just fine. Granted I haven't by any means, tested it's limits, but I can pretty much browse my entire computer from the PS3 for what that's worth.
    Sony 40" LCD
    Sony DVPCX995V
    Sony PS3(games/media server)
    Sony PS2
    WD TV Live with 3TB
    Sanyo VCR
    Marantz SR6003
    Polk 11T(xover/RDO)
    RM20 5 pack
    OWM 5
    DUAL Micro Pro 1000
    Combastard Cable
    Harmony One
    -------------------------
    When rapture comes, can I have your car?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Thanks again..D.J.

Just ripped my first lossless WAV disc....works like a CHARM! This is going to make life a lot easier!

cnh
    If you want to save space, rip them to FLAC.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by pablo_rodz View Post
    Do you care to elaborate?

I have a Mac, so the WMP11 is n/a here....

Thanks
    PS3 Media Server is a Java application so it will run in Mac as well. It's a lot slower than the other media servers I have tried but it will get the work done.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3 Looking for a gently used Oppo BD95, Speakers - RTiA9's, CSiA6, FXi A4, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250

Living Room:
    TV - Kuro Elite PRO-111FD, Fronts.Rti10's (not connected yet), Media source, Logitech Revue

*Need to fix a used ADCOM GFA-555. Do you know where to have it services in Texas (Houston Area)?

Thread Information