Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Default I found this cool thread about speakers.

What's up all???

I was over in the OTHER forum and found something Intresting that some of you may want to reply to or just read. It's about perfect speakers if they are out there.

read and tell me about your feelings on this topic there. I responded on that thread but cut myself short as I found myself starting to go deep. I kept it light.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1162044

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Interesting read, I'll have to follow that one for a while.
    Thanks mantis

Not to sound arrogant, but I thought everyone else knew that? That's the way I've looked at this hobby. It would be WONDERFUL if every live performance was recorded by Roger Waters, or, whoever the S.E. was in charge of 'In The Flesh' dvd.
    Or the guy in charge of Chris Botti's latest outing. Unfortunately, that's not the case.
    Eric Clapton is no slouch, and although the Crossroads dvd's were good, they weren't(IMHO), on the same par as Roger Waters 'In The Flesh'

As this guy points out, the 'perfect speaker' exists, IF your entire musical collection were remastered(?) by the same guy, using all the same equipt.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

An interesting read Mantis....which reminds me of what I've been hearing recently as I begin to run through my CD collection on the SDA-2Bs.

You immediately realize that the SDAs like some CDs better than others. And there are a few where there is almost no SDA effect at all!

I had a crappy 50 dollar set of acoustic suspension KLHs a while back that 'imaged' like crazy and sounded GREAT on a number of recordings? My JBL (home Monitors--cerca '88, '89...ring true (on, I assume are CDs mastered on them in the studio?). And the beat goes on....

No end to this...and I haven't even mentioned amps, CDPs, etc.

It's all so tirrrrrring sometimes....fatigue sets in. This evening I was just reviewing the thread by slowcar...and while it was enjoyable to watch that audio journey...after reading through a few years of the thread I needed a drink. The speed with which the gear was being changed out was exhausting.

cnh

Member Sales Rating: (14)

You know music seems to be so much harder to reproduce. I however find theater/movies to be so much easier with the right speakers. I don't ever remember putting in a movie and thinking a system sounded like crap.

A good set of theater speakers will play all kinds of movies. All of them actually and you will be able to enjoy your collection. Music speakers on the other hand is a life long never ending battle to find the "right " pair. I'm so sick and tired of that.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis View Post
    You know music seems to be so much harder to reproduce. I however find theater/movies to be so much easier with the right speakers. I don't ever remember putting in a movie and thinking a system sounded like crap.

A good set of theater speakers will play all kinds of movies. All of them actually and you will be able to enjoy your collection. Music speakers on the other hand is a life long never ending battle to find the "right " pair. I'm so sick and tired of that.

Dan
    Agreed.

But the main reason for this is all in your head... When you watch a movie and really enjoy it, you're more interested and focused on the screen, and the story. The sound plays 2nd fiddle. If you watch a movie purely for the so und, you're missing the point I suppose.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Agreed.

But the main reason for this is all in your head... When you watch a movie and really enjoy it, you're more interested and focused on the screen, and the story. The sound plays 2nd fiddle. If you watch a movie purely for the so und, you're missing the point I suppose.
    Interesting point. Some scientist might be able to tell us it is just the way the brain works. When there is visual and audio stimulus at the same time the brain will always focus on the visual first. Maybe a basic survival/hunter instinct?? Maybe that is why unless a live performance really stinks we think it sounds better than it does. Think about what needs to be overcome to get a good sound in a large venue like MSG or a stadium, no easy task. Not to mention with a movie there is a plot the brain needs to process as well.

Lucky for me I can't fund a $10K system, so I have to stop when it sounds good to me and can not chase perfection.

Thread Information