Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thumbs up Ixos Gamma Speaker Cable Review

Back in November of last year, I became interested in exploring the realms of audio-cables, wanting to tackle on the hot topic and explore it in my own home. Russman pointed me towards a website which sports discounted products, I picked out a pair of MIT Terminator 4's.

Man - they were the thickest cables I ever saw... sounded great - vastly superior to lampcord and other typical cables. Then a month or two later came in Monster Z2 Bi-wire, sounded even better than the MIT Terminator 4's. Not to mention, the Monsters looked cool and had an awesome case.

A few weeks ago, I went to a local audio store and noticed a pair of wire that looked tempting, it was braded and in a spool. Never heard of the brand before, and aside from its rubber casing and unusual look, I felt it would probably be no different from your average lampcord, I mean hell, there was hardly any insulation or a big box to cancel out noise.. They were asking 2.75 per foot, a little steep for me. None of the speakers were hooked up with it, I went home empty handed.

Two days went by and I couldn't help myself, I was thinking about this wire damn near every waking moment. I returned back to the store and got myself one single strand. When I asked where to pay for it (you would have to be in the store to understand), the gentlemen told me to just keep it. What a nice guy - of course he went on to tell me he does not believe wire makes a bit of difference. Him not charging me a damn thing, I gave little arguement, though I did protest respectfully that wire does indeed make a difference, albiet it may be over-priced.

I took the wire home, soldered the tips and hooked it up to the LSi's. Since my MIT's are gone, I could only pin it up against the now broken-in and MUCH more expensive Monster Z2 BI-wire's. In short, the Monster Z2's had every damn advantage. I was expecting this to be a complete blowout on Monsters behalf.

Boy - was I wrong....

I closed my eyes, leaned back and tried to clear my mind of any bias - then I started playing some tunes (dont remember the cd now)... And was immediatly taken back. There was a very, very subtle difference between the Monster Z2's and the typical 2 conductor Ixos Gamma wire. The Monster had a bit more presence and clarity - but you had to listen very closely, to the point to where you were no longer paying attention to the music itself.

Man - how awesome is this stuff! I then contemplated returning to the store to purchase (or hopefully just recieve) another cord. Then a thought hit me, if Ixos offered cheap wire that sounded this good - why not see what else they have to offer. Low and behold - Ixos Super Gamma 7 Bi-wire was found.

It was much more expensive, 6 dollars per foot. I resisted for a few days and decided to go through with the purchase. Got some stacking banana plugs to go with it. Ah hell, I want matching wire for my one strand, 99 cents per foot, why not. Three days later Fedex delievered everything to me.

I was a bit confused as to how to terminate everything together, as I came here and posted on the board. I for some reason, was under the impression you terminate wires differently.... ruled out the obvious almost instinctively. Not long after and a few replies later, things were on a roll.. hooked them up.

WOW!! ................

Crushed the Monsters and MIT's..... no competition. The highs were clear and in your face. Dan described Kimber as having "sparkle". You could say the same could apply towards the IXOS Super Gamma's. Everything became much clearer, the music sounded as it should have been, and not repressed. If I had to choose a negative, I would say that this wire does not excell with bass. But it keeps it nice and punchy. Kick drums kick you. Very musical and screams for a sub-woofer for that added umf.

All in all - Im very impressed with its value/performance ratio. For those of you who dont want to spend 200 dollars on wire, or even 100 dollars *assuming you dont need 20 foot runs*, IXOS Super Gamma Bi-wire is the ticket. Im completely sold on IXOS products.

Someday when funds allow, Im going for their Interconnects...

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Ok, Ill stick to my good ol HD wire. I think its like .30 a foot?

THIS SHOULD GO DOWN IN THE RECORDS!
    "Im completely sold on IXOS products." - ATC... HE IS COMPLETELY S-O-L-D! That means he will not buy another product of wire or have to upgrade. That means he is one step to 'his' sound.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC

Member Sales Rating: (14)

ATC,
    the reason you feel the LACK there of bass is because Monster amps it up a bit.There cables seem to add bass for whatever reason.Every single time I did a wire shootout with Monster vs just about everyone,the monster has louder bass,muddy as well.Monster I do believe is a great wire company,it just depends on HOW you want your system to sound.

You like my "sparkle" word huh.....that cool I couldn't figure out how to describe what I was hearing........LOL
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

OK, so how do you terminate these things? 7 conductors in the bundle means that there are 3 extra?
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....

Member Sales Rating: (1)

ATC,

Maybe you can help me out a little since you've already been there and I'm about to embark on this speaker wire upgrade voyage.

I'm currently running Monster XP 14 gauge wire bi-wired to my new LSi 9s. I know I'm still breaking these speakers in (about 20 hrs on them) the tweeter sounds good and good bass but the midrange sounds a little muffled. I know I have to wait about 2 - 3 weeks before I get too critical and I'm being very patient (the first day I was like you on your other thread; couldn't even stay in the same room with 'em!)

I've been eying the IXOS super gamma 7 biwire. Problem is that it would cost me $240 with no connectors (four runs of 10 feet at $6/ft).

I've also been eying the IXOS 6003W 13 gauge at $1.50. A lot cheaper than the bi-wire ( I could use that money to buy my seperate preamp).

In your opinion, would the 6003W be a better option for me than the Monster XP for the LSi 9s and how much sweeter is the Super Gamma 7. Also whats the difference between the W and P versions of the wire. Just the color? Should be no sound difference? A few Washingtons cheaper for the P series of the 6003.

thanks man you might save me some homework and money wasted,
    Paul

Originally posted by pjdami

I've been eying the IXOS super gamma 7 biwire. Problem is that it would cost me $240 with no connectors (four runs of 10 feet at $6/ft).
    No it would cost you half that at $120 because you would only need to run one run to each speaker. The Gamma 7 Bi-Wire has enough conductors in one run of speaker wire to do the bi-wire without having to do a seperate run...that's why they're called Gamma 7 Bi-Wire.

Brain FART!!!!

That's right. I'm not thinking straight right now. Been in HAZOP at work all day!!

thanks,
    P.

Stronzo

PjDami,

I will be as fowarthcoming as possible.

I feel that Monster XP wire is no better than your typical lampcord, rat shack, or HD wire.

Ixos on the other hand, gives you an honest value. I have both the 6003w's (purple wire) and the 6006's. I have yet to pin them up against each other - but I imagine the differences, if any, would be incredible subtle.

Tony answered it well. With the Super gamma7, everything is bundled into the sleeve (4 conductors), so you may not need that much length. If you ever wish to endeavor into IXOS's "high end" wire, check out the Aptimius bi-wire.

You seem to be on a budget - so here is what I would do if I were you. Order one stand of 6003 or 6006 wire, lets say, about 8-foot. Once your LSi's are beginning to break in, pin them up against the Monster XP. If you hear no differences then maybe IXOS is not for you. I believe the gamma7 bi-wire is better than the 2 conductor - by far. But thats just me.

It would be best to simply spend less than 10 bucks on a test strand, see if its your thing, and then make the decision...

Hope this helps,

Sean

Originally posted by ATCVenom

You seem to be on a budget
    Ha.....you have no idea ATC....from the man who's purchased a NAD amp, Paradigm Studio and LSi speaks, and a new Rotel CD player within 2 months...

Tony,

You also forgot the Yammer in the past two months. If I had to do it all over (now that I know better) I would have purchased the Rotel 1055 receiver and I probably wouldn't need seperates and all this other stuff. Its a beast at 50 lbs; I lifted one up last weekend at the store when I bought the Rotel cd player.

The pdimes and LSi9s are still a tossup I think (they both have their advantages and disadvantages). The LSis continue to sound better and/or I'm getting used to their sound.

As far as interconnects and speaker wires go, I really don't know too much about that. A lot of people put a lot of stock in this though as it is very obvious from this forum.

If a speaker of receiver upgrade can improve your sound by say like 50% then in my opinion this is where you spend the money first. Then one can fine-tune with interconnects and speaker wire to see what sounds best in one'e rig.

ATC,

thanks for the advice on the speaker wire. Might try some 6003 first to see if I like it.

Paul

Hey Venom,

Based on your most excellent review and results:

Crushed the Monsters and MIT's..... no competition. The highs were clear and in your face. Dan described Kimber as having "sparkle". You could say the same could apply towards the IXOS Super Gamma's. Everything became much clearer, the music sounded as it should have been, and not repressed. If I had to choose a negative, I would say that this wire does not excell with bass. But it keeps it nice and punchy. Kick drums kick you. Very musical and screams for a sub-woofer for that added umf
    I ordered the IXOS Super Gamma Bi-wire today. Should get it in Friday afternoon. Bass I have no problems with because I have a sub with the LSi 9's. Yes, I am missing the "sparkle" or "crispness" in the nines. Not that it sounds bad; but it could sound better :)

And yes the nines sound repressed to me as well with the Monster XP.

How did you terminate? two smaller wires (24 strands) for the highs and the two thicker (48 strands) for the lows? Any recommendations for banana plugs or spades that fit the thickness of the wire nicely?

Also how long of a "burn-in" time did you experience??

thanks bud,
    P.
    Attached Images  

Stronzo

Pjdami,

Cool deal bud! Hopefully you will hear the same thing I did!

I terminated using stacking banana plugs.

http://accessories4less.com/aless4/C...&ic=IXOS%2D204

The 15 gauge wire was sent to the high pass, and the 13 gauge was sent down to the low pass. I switched them both per request, and enjoyed the original set-up better.

I found the stacking Banana plugs to work splendidly.

Let us know how they work out for you! Rumor has it, Ixos is like a baby Kimber..

Sean

Hey Sean,

Thank you soo much for the recommendation. I got the IXOS wire in (took the afternoon off of work). Very impressive looking wire and heavy too.

Well I hooked it up just bare wire for now and bi-wired to the LSi 9's.

I'm playing Natalie Merchant's "tigerlilly" pretty clean recording and I love her voice. I also moved my right speaker closer to the door like I had it two months ago (and based on what Dan recommended to me too).

Straight out the box they definitely have more detail than my XP wire. I would say 10 - 20 % improvement. The first track on this cd "san andreas fault" there's this subtle hand drum that is playing behind her voice. I can distinctly hear it better now ... left and right...and back to the left..... midrange is absolutely soaring out of there. Track 4 "River" her voice soars there too and never gets overly bright. Awesome... Imaging is definitely improved too. Instead of hearing two distinct boxes I have a strong center image when i close my eyes. The LSi's have disappeared; can't tell where the music is coming from.

And like Robin would say to Batman , "Holy goose bumps Batman with the LSi's now too!".

Lovin' it..........

Member Sales Rating: (11)

pj,

do you mind asking what you paid for the IXOS biwire cables? I'm already sold on IXOS interconnects... and i'm sure their speaker wires are just as great. Just curious as to what they run for.. and what length you purchased?

thanks, Al the pal
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

$128...

Stronzo

Pjdami,

Excellent deal man! That Ixos wire is killer stuff, no doubt. Even the cheap stuff for 49 cents a foot is absolutely stunning for the money.

Just get the Ixos Gamma Gold interconnects.... and you are "golden"....

Glad to see you dig them as well! Man - you are only now beginning to uncover the beauty of the LSi's. They love good quality stuff, and treat you with it the best way they know how :)

Keep rockin bud!

Z

Danger Boy,

I paid $5.99 / foot from www.accessories4less.com. The young lady I spoke to was extremely friendly and polite. We B.S.ed about some stuff for a while too (she sounded cute :)

I purchased $20 feet and second day fed ex was a dollar or so more than ups ground at $8. Everything showed up perfect with an IXOS product catalog also.

I'm definitely going to look into the interconnects too. I dig theory and the IXOS definitely have a lot of that behind their products. At the price you pay, its a nice step up in sound from regular Monster XP.

thanks again.
    Paul

p.s. Sean did you notice any burn in period on these wires? They sound pretty good straight out the box; are they going to mellow out any??

Stronzo

Pjdami,

Appears as if your flirtation got you somewhere, as I never have recieved any catalogs with my orders.

As for a burn in period. If anything, I felt the highs became a bit more defined, and the bass a bit more pure and refined.

Thread Information