Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

stuck between a cornfield and a bean field in central illinois

Default 2 Channel Stereo Receivers

I am currently using a H/T receiver for my 2 channel listening room. Even though it is a decent receiver, I am tired of dealing with all the extra bells and whistles that are getting in the way and would like to go with a more "bare bones" 2 ch. stereo receiver and sell the JVC. So far, I am seriously looking at the HarmonKardon HK 3475 , but since H/T takes over much of the spotlight in electronics stores, I'm feeling like my search for a good receiver is limited to only 2 or 3 brands.
    If any one has any suggestions on other brands to check into or experience with the above mentioned model, I would appreciate the information.
    Thanx for the help.
    HT Setup:
    Denon DHT-682
    Denon sc-70s front/rear
    Denon sc-70c center
    Polk PSW-202 sub
    Music Room Setup:
    JVC RX-992 receiver
    Polk RTi 70's Bi-Wired
    Polk PSW350
    The Car Barn:
    Aiwa NSX-D30

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Rotel makes really good 2 channel stereo receivers.Go check em out.
    www.rotel.com
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

If you don't need brand new gear, integrated amps and 2ch receivers can be had for next to nothing. The old Marantz 22xx series are great ( a little more expensive ) and have high cool factor. There is a ton of good stuff out there.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Thats good advice.You know Troy can be classified as a USED audiophile.He can direct you to all the good deals.Unfortunally my experience there lacks.But I'm learning....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Sounds like a good reason to get into separates if you ask me. I used the same excuse with my wife and it worked!

Now that I've gotten away from receivers I'll never go back to them. Unless, maybe, it's for a garage system or something like that - "background noise".:D

Member Sales Rating: (40)

As Troy stated, older 22xx Marantz, NAD Power Envelope series, Proton (if you find it), Luxman R series.

Or, go integrated and add a tuner.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

New audio gear is ALMOST as bad of an investment as a new car. Like I said, I like new car smell, but I won't pay for it.

A wise person once told me that for luxury items, if you can't pay cash than wait until you can.

BDT

too meny cheap 2 channel amps out there to even consider a stereo reciever. for less then $500 you could have a good amp and preamp from ebay. have the fun is looking for them.

scott

Additionally,

Separates is a stellar idea, but if you are on a budget, I'd look at used integrateds. They can be had for next to nothing and as Russ pointed out, you can add a tuner for almost nothing.

I gave my little brother a marantz 1060 integrated that I picked up at a pawn shop for 35 dollars last year, nice little amp. Point is, for whatever reason, good integrated amps are cheaper, usually than even receivers and sound better.

BDT

stuck between a cornfield and a bean field in central illinois

I was thinking of going with seperates as well, but I would like to avoid using the speaker level inputs to my sub because I do actually notice a better "expression" from the speaks with them bi-wired.
    I should maybe redirect my search for an intergrated amp that offers a sub output?, if that can be had. Seperate tuners can definately be had for cheap. I will dig around on the web and see what I can find, like you say.....there probably is some good deals out there just waiting to be had. By me hopefully!
    Must admit that the idea of changing my setup and going with something other than H/T is different and somewhat confusing as to what to be looking for, but its fun fun fun!!
    Thanx for the ideas.
    HT Setup:
    Denon DHT-682
    Denon sc-70s front/rear
    Denon sc-70c center
    Polk PSW-202 sub
    Music Room Setup:
    JVC RX-992 receiver
    Polk RTi 70's Bi-Wired
    Polk PSW350
    The Car Barn:
    Aiwa NSX-D30

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Every city has a good used vintage stereo shop run by a usually super knowledgable guy that brings in old equipment and refurbishes it. You get close to ebay pricing, a warranty, and the ability to check out the equipment with your eyes and ears before you buy.

You could expect to see some vintage Sansui and Marantz receivers and integrated amps built in the mid to late 70s and Pre and Power amps by Phase Linear, NAD, MacIntoch, Rotel, Hafler, Marantz, Sansui etc. This equipment is usually in almost perfect cosmetic shape. These things cost about the price of a good used car back in the day and the top of the line units were very well made.

I bought a Sansui 9500 from a Portland Oregon shop that looked like it had never been out of the box for $175 and it had a teriffic warm sound. The guy had gone over it thoroughly and fixed everything needed and gave me a 90 day warranty. Compare that to the Marantz receiver I bought off ebay that sounds horrible; It was used up and needs to go in to that shop for an overhaul.

I bet there are several of these stores in Chicago. Check it out.

Member Sales Rating: (43)

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_...Q3amesstQQtZkm
    Keep your eyes open. You can get a refurb 2 channel HK for about $200 with 120wpc with warrenty. This IS HK. Not a random seller.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Personally, I'd pass on HK. I used to swear by them, I powered my SDA CRS+'s with an HK receiver that I bought in the late 80's. That receiver died a few years ago, and I replaced it with a new HK 2-channel receiver, although I can't remember the model number. Compared to the old HK receiver I had, it sounded like garbage. I was surprised and started doing a bit of reading, and there were plenty of reviews agreeing that HK's quality has gone way downhill in recent years.

If you want good quality 2-channel at a reasonable price, definitely go vintage. If you can find one on eBay or Audiogon, the HK model I had from the old days was the HK990Vxi. Now that was a nice receiver....

Member Sales Rating: (55)

Thanks to the last three posters for finishing off a 5 year old thread. Some of us were really looking forward to closure.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

LOL

engtaz

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Just because heavyismymetal hasn't visited the fourm since 3-27-03 doesn't mean he (or she) won't be back any day now to see if there are any new replys ...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

hah! I didn't check the original post date, I just replied when I saw the new posts. Hopefully he got his amp!!!

Member Sales Rating: (43)

I only look at month and day. I never know what year it is anyways:o
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information