Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1

    Question Surround Bar and RocketFish Question

    I have an original Surround Bar speaker with a Polk subwoofer. I recently moved and can no longer run wires for the rear speakers due to wife issues. Will the Rocketfish RF-WHTIB Universal Wireless Rear Speaker Kit work with the Surround Bar? Would I plug the Rocketfish sender unit into the rear speaker jacks on the Surround Bar and then aim the sender unit at the Rocketfish Receiver unit connected to my rear speakers? I am running my Surround Bar with an Onkyo TX SR-705. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Should work however, if you were using wired rear speakers previously you might want to consider buying the Rocketfish wireless sneder/receiver only as it might provide you with better quality of sound (considering/presuming that your present speakers are of better quality) as the receiver has a builted in amplifier which is normally sufficient for the rears (I demoded the unit my self).

    Cheers!
    TK

  3. #3
    ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Interesting product... i will not/cant put wires under my carpet, dont want do damages..

    will this work with Rti a5 for side and rears? will i have to buy two Rocketfish wireless product for each rear speaker?? Can i put the kit under my couch and will it still transmit signals?

    im not threadjacking but i discovered this product. thank you OP
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

    My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Interesting product...

    * i will not/cant put wires under my carpet, dont want do damages.. Then this is a good option for you!

    * will this work with Rti a5 for side and rears? Will work with any un-powered speakers however, you have to keep in mind that the built in amp is only 20 watts (which is usually sufficient for rear of course depending on the room size and your own power level preference). There are also other that can generate in the area of 50 watts but of course more expensive.

    * will i have to buy two Rocketfish wireless product for each rear speaker?? No, there are left and right output so you can have the two rears hooked-up from the same receiver amp.

    * Can i put the kit under my couch and will it still transmit signals? That's a very interesting question, I do believe so since it is made to work from one room to the other but I will do some testing for you this weekend.

    * There are also some brands available without amp if for example you'd prefer to use a separate amp or are using powered speakers for example. Mind you that even if you use the Rocketfish which has an amp, it will still work through powered speakers or another amp since you have a gain level control on the Rocketfish which allows you to adjust the level you want out of the Rocketfish (I personnally have test this with my powered MAudio monitors).

    * What is nice, Best Buy has a very good return policy which allows you to return the product if you don't like it and therefore gives you the opportunity to test the product without full commitment on your part.

    * If you want further comment on this, you could PM jimbo1421 since I believe he has been using the Rocketfish successfully for his rears (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/member.php?u=80221)

    Cheers!
    TK

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    * If you want further comment on this, you could PM jimbo1421 since I believe he has been using the Rocketfish successfully for his rears (http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/member.php?u=80221)

    Cheers!
    TK
    Hey TK,

    You must be thinking of someone else. I don't use rear speakers with my SB. But I am thinking about it.

    Regards,
    Jim
    5.1 System:
    Sharp Aquos 37" LCD
    Front: SDA-CRS+
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 7A
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    NAD 106 pre-amp
    Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray
    MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz

    2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1421 View Post
    Hey TK,

    You must be thinking of someone else. I don't use rear speakers with my SB. But I am thinking about it.

    Regards,
    Jim
    Sorry, age affects memory... I'll check back, maybe it is svtJoe? I'll go back in time...



    YUP! Svtjoe post 11: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...+rear+speakers

    Hey Jim, how is the 2 channels doing these days? Found the optimum location of the rig set-up?

    Cheers!
    TK
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 08-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.

  7. #7
    ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    tk..

    I read the reviews that sometimes it would conflict wireless internet modem.

    does this happened to you?
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

    My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Hi TK,

    I will be moving furniture this weekend to put the HT + SB on the front, short wall of my 13' x 19' living room. The HT will be flanked by a stereo pair, thus the HT and 2 channel will occupy the same space. I don't like the TV blocking the front window (and on display for the burglary minded), but I think acoustically, this will work best.

    I am currently using newly refurbished Monitor 7As for 2 channel. They sound nice and are improving as they break in. I will be rebuilding the crossovers on a pair of Monitor 10Bs, gradually working up to refurbishing a set of SDA-1Bs. Then I will see what I like best in that space. See Plan 2 in my attachment to post #41 here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=85190&page=2

    Regards,
    Jim
    5.1 System:
    Sharp Aquos 37" LCD
    Front: SDA-CRS+
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 7A
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    NAD 106 pre-amp
    Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray
    MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz

    2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro

  9. #9
    ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1421 View Post
    Hi TK,

    I will be moving furniture this weekend to put the HT + SB on the front, short wall of my 13' x 19' living room. The HT will be flanked by a stereo pair, thus the HT and 2 channel will occupy the same space. I don't like the TV blocking the front window (and on display for the burglary minded), but I think acoustically, this will work best.

    I am currently using newly refurbished Monitor 7As for 2 channel. They sound nice and are improving as they break in. I will be rebuilding the crossovers on a pair of Monitor 10Bs, gradually working up to refurbishing a set of SDA-1Bs. Then I will see what I like best in that space. See Plan 2 in my attachment to post #41 here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...t=85190&page=2

    Regards,
    Jim


    Jimbo, what software did you use for your living room diagram?
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

    My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    Jimbo, what software did you use for your living room diagram?
    Vectorworks 2009
    http://www.nemetschek.net/

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Sorry, just figured double post.....
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 08-07-2009 at 07:44 PM.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    tk..

    I read the reviews that sometimes it would conflict wireless internet modem.

    does this happened to you?
    Yet, what I have read is that this is out of typical wireless range unfortunately, I have no experience with wireless modem since mine isn't connected yet. What is the present wireless network typical frequency? This Rocketfish unit is using 2.4Ghz, there are some available on the market now with 5.8Ghz. I heard some cheaper and/or older ones being affected with microwaves which isn't the case with 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz has been very popular in the past few years and if your wirelss internet modem is in this range I can see it being an issue however, when you say 2.4Ghz usually, there is a range from so and so menaning you could adjust your modem slighly away from what your speaker frequency would be IE: Your modem could be 2.4Ghz while your rear speakers could be set at 2.4xxx for example thus eliminating the problem. You could buy a unit set at 5.8Ghz but you have to realize that most new gear coming out on the market would more likely coming out in the 5.8Ghz in the next few years so if you select your speakers in that range, what ever else you buy in that range may affect the outcome. Your best bet if you want to go the wireless route, it is to pay a little more and have wireless with frequency range adjustment that you can recalibrate to your needs as need be (new equipment being introduced anywhere in the home).

    Some points to considers: Is there any way to do the job in IR versus RF as IR solves the problem of frequency problems that you have mentioned with wireless modem as IR is localised to a room however, from business experience IR doesn't respond (SQ) as well as RF. Many people disclaims wireless (RF) but we have to realize that RF has been a great and successfull technology for many years (radio, tv etc...) so, I can see the objections but I can also see the the viability of a proven technology. The more RF there is in a home, the better reason to pay a little more for variable/adjustable RF to comply with your own personal needs. This is an example (out of many) of what you might want to look for: http://www.audioholicblog.com/awesom...d-systems.html

    That brand really seems impressive (even without frequency adjustment): http://www.amphony.com/products/l1550.htm
    Features to Look for in Wireless Outdoor Speakers


    Range: over 200 feet is preferable
    Rechargeable batteries
    Multiple frequencies: in case thereís interference on one channel, you can switch to another
    Automatic level control: prevents dramatic volume changes and keeps peace with the neighbors
    Stereo settings: the ability to select the speaker as mono or right and left channel for a stereo application
    Tuning indicator light: that tells you youíre locked in
    Volume control: obvious, but some speakers donít come with it
    Off button: you can turn the music off without having to go inside


    Cheers!
    TK
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 08-07-2009 at 07:50 PM.

  13. #13
    ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    Yet, what I have read is that this is out of typical wireless range unfortunately, I have no experience with wireless modem since mine isn't connected yet. What is the present wireless network typical frequency? This Rocketfish unit is using 2.4Ghz, there are some available on the market now with 5.8Ghz. I heard some cheaper and/or older ones being affected with microwaves which isn't the case with 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz has been very popular in the past few years and if your wirelss internet modem is in this range I can see it being an issue however, when you say 2.4Ghz usually, there is a range from so and so menaning you could adjust your modem slighly away from what your speaker frequency would be IE: Your modem could be 2.4Ghz while your rear speakers could be set at 2.4xxx for example thus eliminating the problem. You could buy a unit set at 5.8Ghz but you have to realize that most new gear coming out on the market would more likely coming out in the 5.8Ghz in the next few years so if you select your speakers in that range, what ever else you buy in that range may affect the outcome. Your best bet if you want to go the wireless route, it is to pay a little more and have wireless with frequency range adjustment that you can recalibrate to your needs as need be (new equipment being introduced anywhere in the home).

    Some points to considers: Is there any way to do the job in IR versus RF as IR solves the problem of frequency problems that you have mentioned with wireless modem as IR is localised to a room however, from business experience IR doesn't respond (SQ) as well as RF. Many people disclaims wireless (RF) but we have to realize that RF has been a great and successfull technology for many years (radio, tv etc...) so, I can see the objections but I can also see the the viability of a proven technology. The more RF there is in a home, the better reason to pay a little more for variable/adjustable RF to comply with your own personal needs. This is an example (out of many) of what you might want to look for: http://www.audioholicblog.com/awesom...d-systems.html

    That brand really seems impressive (even without frequency adjustment): http://www.amphony.com/products/l1550.htm



    Cheers!
    TK
    Im not sure what my verizon cable modem/router GHZ is and ill find out. I will lookforward to your review about under couch :D LMK.. Im interested

    it would be nice if there bluetooth devices
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

    My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    Im not sure what my verizon cable modem/router GHZ is and ill find out. I will lookforward to your review about under couch :D LMK.. Im interested

    it would be nice if there bluetooth devices
    Humm, I'm not sure about bluethooth (SQ wise). Bluethootht is good technology but I wouldn't think it is met for quality but ratter simply for convenience however, like any other technology it will improve so time will tell!

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gatineau, Quebec Canada
    Posts
    4,262

    Exclamation Small report; Rocketfish-Universal Wirelss Rear Speaker Kit...

    Quote Originally Posted by CaligulaPolk View Post
    Im not sure what my verizon cable modem/router GHZ is and ill find out. I will lookforward to your review about under couch :D LMK.. Im interested

    it would be nice if there bluetooth devices
    UNDER the COUCH TESTING:

    1. Sender actually hooked-up on the main bedroom TV, for testing purpose I set the transmitting TV to external audio disabling the TV speakers.

    2. I set my living room TV on the same channel as the bedroom TV solely to have some video of the channel broadcasting during the test therefore that TV was muted.

    3. I set the wireless receiver behing the living room couch, closed the door of the bedroom with the transmitter and receiver approximately 20' appart.

    4. This set-up allowed me to concentrate on the 2 speakers without any distraction from anything else.

    5. I did not use any amp (which is the way it should normally be used); I was using the TV O/P through a small mixer thus getting only pre-out at the transmitter. This was however successfull but I realize I would be getting more gain if the test was done through amp O/Ps ratter than pre-O/Ps.

    6. The testing was performed with a pair of Polk RM10 during TV movie and programming. I also used a pair of Athena AS-B1-1 (provides for a minumum of bass) while listening to the music channel and this with greath success)

    Unfortunately, I did not have any other wireless equipment to see if they would interfer (which I believe they would if using the same frequency since I have experienced this with audio transmitters at work). What can be said at this point, the under the couch set-up is feasible/proven successfull. Walking around, cutting the RF path doesn't seem to affect communication between the RF Tx and RX (like I have noticed with other type). One thing that I haven't had a chance to test is using the kit during bad weather (something that cheaper models seem to be affected by).


    MAIN FLOOR to BASEMENT TESTING:

    Well, I tought the test was too simplistic and wanted to challenge the unit a little (afterall, the claim is up to 100').

    1. The transmitter remainded hook-up to the TV in the bedroom which is on the main floor, back of the house with door closed.

    2. I took the RM10s along with the wireless receiver in the basement laudry room, closed the door, installed the wireless receiver in a cabinet and close the door. The transmitter and receiver were slightly over 50' apart and still the speakers sounded just as clearly as when both units were 20' apart on the main floor. The only issue I encountered were if I took the receiver in my hand, it seemed that at this distance the receiver needed to resynch if moved around (without any difficulty/instant).

    To recapitulate, the wireless kit seems to be working quite efficiently under a couch and even within a good distance between the receiver and transmitter. a very important point to realize, the receiver amplified O/P is 20 WRMS therefore, if one would like to have massive power, this is not exactly what you would want (met for rear presence only).

    If anyone can chip in with information on how the unit behaves with other wireless equipment used in the home, that might be of information to potential users/buyers. As pointed out, a portion of the test that shouldn't be neglected is testing during bad weather. I don't see much concern but as I pointed out, I know some cheaper model have some issues with this. I intend to do so when "bad weather is available" but in the mean time, if anyone else has comments, please don't hesitate to share them.

    The original question was about the Rocketfish wireless speakers, if anyone has some experience with the speakers themselves, I am convinced the OP would appreciate.

    One last thing I would like to mention, depending on user's need... This can also be an option to wireless subwoofer since everything is external. One positive of the Polk wireless subwoofer (PSWi225) is it has a few selectable frequencies but unfortunately seems like the transmitter would be the only one available separetely since the receiver is builted in? Otherwise, I think this could have been the perfect solution: potentially 1 transmitter, each speaker would have their own receiver which would go through their personal Xo or else, set different frequencies for each type speakers???

    If anyone things of different aspects of the wireless kit that should be tested, don't hesitate to let me know. One thing to consider is BB's return policy: Buy, test, if happy keep/return if unsatisfactory!

    Cheers!
    TK

  16. #16
    ZERO Threshold of Hearing
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    UNDER the COUCH TESTING:
    What can be said at this point, the under the couch set-up is feasible/proven successfull. Walking around, cutting the RF path doesn't seem to affect communication between the RF Tx and RX (like I have noticed with other type). One thing that I haven't had a chance to test is using the kit during bad weather (something that cheaper models seem to be affected by).
    SWEET!!! What an excellent review, i will give rocketfish a chance when i put the wireless rti a3 or a5 (near future purchase) a try. If it doesnt work i can take it back to best buy dont ya love their policy. I wonder if rocketfish device will let you change frequency for side surround to be wireless while as rear surround transmiting. I think its designed for rear only but would be nice if can used as side and rear surround.

    I commend TechoKid's effort to do some experiment with the speakers and i am sure the experiment took hours for him to write excellent review.
    Thank you TECHNOKID!
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

    My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Surround Bar question
    By phxrider in forum Speakers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM
  2. rocketfish cable
    By Keiko in forum Basic Hookup/Wiring Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
  3. Question regarding 7.1 surround
    By StinkyDog in forum Speakers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 11:39 PM
  4. Surround bar question
    By madmax in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 04:50 PM
  5. Surround question
    By Maurice in forum Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts