Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default 1st HT System EVER - All Polk - Advice Needed

    Hi Guys..

    Glad I found this forum BEFORE I made my first HT system purchase. The only thing I know for sure is I WANT Polk speakers around the room.

    Here is the package I have come up with that should keep me within "wife approved budget".:

    Center Channel: LCI-C
    Front L/R: LSI9 or most likely LSI7 to reduce cost
    Sides: FXIA6
    Rears: RC80i
    Subwoofer: PSW111 or PSW125
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

    Any thoughts/advice you can give would greatly appreciated. Again this is my very FIRST system and I'm just trying to get a good sounding foundation and I need to make sure I'm not making any big rookie mistakes with the above selections.

    Thanks!

    Jim

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Those speakers are rated at 4 ohms, the Pioneer receiver is not. You will probably not benefit from the LSi series qualities in this configuration. Also, if the priority is HT, not music, then the LSi might not be the most obvious choice in any case. I would suggest:

    - Change LSi choices for RTi or TSi series, 8 ohm speakers.
    - RC80i rear channels can stay the same.
    - Spend the money saved on a better subwoofer (expect $500 or more).

    Those are just some ideas to send you in a different direction, unless you change the receiver, or add an external amplifier. There are plenty of alternatives, but I think starting out with an LSi based Home Theater, driven by the Pioneer, is not an appropriate choice.

    Welcome to CP BTW!
    Alea jacta est!

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Kex has got you pointed in the right direction for sure. Im upgrading my R50's to RT's sooner or later.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (28)

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    10,414

    Default

    +1; for HT and a receiver as power, you'll be perfectly happy with the RT lines. Also agree on a beefier subwoofer.
    _________________________________________________
    ***\\\\\........................... My Audio Journey ............................./////***

    2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Thank you!

    Thank you very much guys! I had no idea about the 4-8ohm issue.

    I was going on the premise a couple "experts" told me to always get the best speakers you can afford, and if you have to sacrifice do it with the receiver.

    What are you thoughts on the units I have selected for the left and right side walls and the center channel?

    Thanks again this is a HUGE help for me.

    Jim

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (14)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southeast Va in the 757
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    Like Kex said, the surrounds are OK, go with the RT line......

    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/rtia/
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

    Office stuff

    Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

    Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,745

    Default

    Welcome to Club Polk.

    Get the larger of the 2 RTI center channels. Also make sure that whatever receiver you get has preamp outputs to add separate amplification later on down the line to ensure that your speakers operate to their full potential.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Back from Japan in Clover, SC
    Posts
    7,864

    Default

    +1 with Cfrizz, get the CSiA6 and go for the RTiA9 or 7s, paired with the matching surrounds and a Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR. For subwoofer look at SVS and choose one, they are all good. www.svsound.com, Welcome to the club also.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

    Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default ok..

    Thanks for the replies guys... A few more questions..

    The only issue is that I can't go with the towers so I have to use two bookshelf speakers. Is the RTi A3 the way to go here?..

    The center channel needs to be in-wall. Would I be ok with the one on my original list the LCI-C?

    And last question.. Everyone is recommending a better subwoofer. Are the Polk subs not a good option at all? Do I need to go with the DSW line at minimum? or switch to another manufacturer?

    Thanks again everybody..

    Jim

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairchild AFB WA.
    Posts
    3,630

    Default

    I am with the guys here, upgrade your AVR to one that pre-outs (they will come in handy later) and get either the RTi, or Monitor line. The Monitors IMHO, can't be beat for HT at the prices they can be had for these days. As for the Subs. Polk subs aren't bad, just not their strong point. I have a PSW125 and it works great in my humble setup in my small space. Have heard good things about the DSW line, and also for SVS, Epik, Velodyne, but they tend to be on the pricy side. In the end it is going to be up to you and your budget, check your local Craigslist and even Ebay. If you can get your ears on some of these subs first that will also help. Hope we have been able to help you, and welcome to Club Polk.

    -Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3


    2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

    It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Regarding the pre-out.. This is a picture of the back of the Pioneer I was considering. It does say "Pre-Out" but also says subwoofer in the same area.

    Is this what you guys are talking about? Sorry for the basic questions, but this is all new to me.

    Jim

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Sorry forgot to post the image link:

    http://www.homecinema.gr/pr_images_max/1619.jpg

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    ... The only issue is that I can't go with the towers so I have to use two bookshelf speakers. Is the RTi A3 the way to go here?..

    The center channel needs to be in-wall. Would I be ok with the one on my original list the LCI-C?

    And last question.. Everyone is recommending a better subwoofer. Are the Polk subs not a good option at all? Do I need to go with the DSW line at minimum? ...
    The RTi A3 will be a good choice for bookshelf mains if you don't have room for floorstanding models.

    The LCi-C, however, will not be a good match for those, since that matches the LSi line, and is rated at 4 ohms. You should match the center channel as closely as possible to the main, left & right front, speakers. I believe the RCi is the correct series to match with the RTi A, but you might want to call, e-mail, or chat online with c/s to verify that (something seems to be wrong with navigating that area of the website at the moment).

    As far as subwoofers go, some of the newer Polks are much better than the older models. I can't recommend a specific unit, since I've never heard them or researched them in any depth, but look for a lower 3dB limit below 30Hz. The best models in the $500-750 range should be approaching 20Hz or lower. Otherwise, a quick search of older threads here will identify a multitude of other brands, such as SVS, HSU and others. Note that musical priority, vs. theater applications, will change how people rate the different models dramatically. Generally speaking, a "musical" subwoofer will probably be less "boomy", but may not shake the house as dramatically for explosions etc. Preferences either way will vary.
    Alea jacta est!

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Sorry forgot to post the image link:

    http://www.homecinema.gr/pr_images_max/1619.jpg
    That pre-out is for the subwoofer only. If the receiver has pre-outs, then you will have the same type of connection for all speaker channels, illustrated on the bottom left of this rear panel:

    http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Qui...254RearPnl.pdf
    Alea jacta est!

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    298

    Default

    with ur budge i would go for RTIa3 and a superb subwoofer and receiver with preout (Pionieer elite, HK AVR254, Denon 2909/989 (they should be on sale by now).
    i woundnt condsider 7.1 unless ur room has the oppotunity to place them perfectly.
    if u do, go get another pair of RTIa3/1 for side. FXIa4/6 r best for rear, when hanged in backwall, 2 ft above ur sitting position.

    subwoofer go for DSW Pro500/600 or DSW MIcro 1000
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

    Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys... A few more questions..

    The only issue is that I can't go with the towers so I have to use two bookshelf speakers. Is the RTi A3 the way to go here?..

    The center channel needs to be in-wall. Would I be ok with the one on my original list the LCI-C?

    And last question.. Everyone is recommending a better subwoofer. Are the Polk subs not a good option at all? Do I need to go with the DSW line at minimum? or switch to another manufacturer?

    Thanks again everybody..

    Jim
    The Rti-a3 is an excellent choice for mains. I used the Rti-6 for mains in my early foray into H/T, and they dont disappoint. The A-3 a real nice makeover of the 6, but essentially the same speaker. Another member on the Forum here has an awesome setup featuring the A-3s as mains. (Erik Tracy) Dont know how the LCI-C center "timbre" matches with the A-3s, but you cant go wrong with the Csi-a6 for a center, if you can find an alternative location or mounting option. Have heard great things about Polks "Micropro" line of subs.:D


    Pat.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    68

    Default

    It would help to know the dimensions of the room, and the budget (to lazy to look up the prices on your equipment list). Is the sub for HT only or music too? The LS speakers sound great, don't know about the in wall version. I strive for timbre matching not just for movies but because I like 5 channel stereo, DVD A and SACD. Who knows maybe Blue Ray will usher in a new music format 7.1. I wasn't happy with my home theater until all the speakers were a timbre match. Just keep that in mind. I guess we should ask someone else if the LCI-C's are a timbre match with the FSIA6 or the RC80i and whatever front speakers you decide on. If not you are in a pickle if the LCI-C is not a timbre match.

    IMHO

    G

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kex View Post
    The RTi A3 will be a good choice for bookshelf mains if you don't have room for floorstanding models.

    The LCi-C, however, will not be a good match for those, since that matches the LSi line, and is rated at 4 ohms. You should match the center channel as closely as possible to the main, left & right front, speakers. I believe the RCi is the correct series to match with the RTi A, but you might want to call, e-mail, or chat online with c/s to verify that (something seems to be wrong with navigating that area of the website at the moment).

    As far as subwoofers go, some of the newer Polks are much better than the older models. I can't recommend a specific unit, since I've never heard them or researched them in any depth, but look for a lower 3dB limit below 30Hz. The best models in the $500-750 range should be approaching 20Hz or lower. Otherwise, a quick search of older threads here will identify a multitude of other brands, such as SVS, HSU and others. Note that musical priority, vs. theater applications, will change how people rate the different models dramatically. Generally speaking, a "musical" subwoofer will probably be less "boomy", but may not shake the house as dramatically for explosions etc. Preferences either way will vary.
    What Kex said.:D



    Pat.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Correct, well put Kex. Guess I should read these threads more thoroughly.

    G

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (49)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wyred 4 Sound
    Posts
    11,222

    Default

    Budget? This will help .

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    68

    Default

    tool rules

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    11,745

    Default

    You don't want a LCI-C it is 4ohm & will not match the rest of your RTI speakers.

    Go with the DSW series of subwoofers. I have the 400, my brother has the 500 & both will rattle your floors, but the 500 will rattle them more.

    Your receiver does not have preouts for all channels. You would have to get a different receiver. The ones with preouts cost more money but it's worth it in the end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys... A few more questions..

    The only issue is that I can't go with the towers so I have to use two bookshelf speakers. Is the RTi A3 the way to go here?..

    The center channel needs to be in-wall. Would I be ok with the one on my original list the LCI-C?

    And last question.. Everyone is recommending a better subwoofer. Are the Polk subs not a good option at all? Do I need to go with the DSW line at minimum? or switch to another manufacturer?

    Thanks again everybody..

    Jim
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North of New Orleans
    Posts
    3,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Hi Guys..

    Glad I found this forum BEFORE I made my first HT system purchase. The only thing I know for sure is I WANT Polk speakers around the room.

    Here is the package I have come up with that should keep me within "wife approved budget".:

    Center Channel: LCI-C
    Front L/R: LSI9 or most likely LSI7 to reduce cost
    Sides: FXIA6
    Rears: RC80i
    Subwoofer: PSW111 or PSW125
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

    Any thoughts/advice you can give would greatly appreciated. Again this is my very FIRST system and I'm just trying to get a good sounding foundation and I need to make sure I'm not making any big rookie mistakes with the above selections.

    Thanks!

    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcity View Post
    Thank you very much guys! I had no idea about the 4-8ohm issue.

    I was going on the premise a couple "experts" told me to always get the best speakers you can afford, and if you have to sacrifice do it with the receiver.

    What are you thoughts on the units I have selected for the left and right side walls and the center channel?

    Thanks again this is a HUGE help for me.

    Jim
    Personally I think you are on the right track with your LSi speaker selections.
    For HT or 2 channel music those LSi's speakers that you listed with proper amplification are far better than the RTi series. You will need to upgrade your receiver and add a separate amplifier.

    The Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K doesn't have pre-outs like its predecessor the VSX-1018AH-K did.
    I'm sure that this has tripped up many a Pioneer buyer.
    If you like the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K, then consider moving up the food chain to a VSX-21THX or VSX-23THX.

    The VSX-21THX is available for under $600 and its predecessor the VSX-01THX is still available for under $500 last time I checked.
    You will need at least a 3 channel external amp and I would recommend a 3 channel Emotiva XPA-3.
    It is about $550 right now. I have the Emotiva amps and I believe they offer very good performance and value.

    If this limits your budget, I would forsake the surround speakers and get them at a later date.
    You can drive the surround speakers you've listed with your receiver and they will work fine.

    If you just get the three LSi's up front for now, then with that system, you can consider adding a pair of LSi15's to the front and moving the LSi9's to the side surrounds. You will need to add another multichannel amp for that. I mention this as a good upgrade possiblitiy if you want to assemble your system in two stages as many of us have.

    Once you want the LSi's and settle on the RTi's instead, after a while upgraditis sets in and you will want to upgrade which costs much more in the long run.
    I made that mistake myself.

    For your subwoofer, I would recommend the DSW600. It is far better than the two you've listed and is affordable.
    Last edited by xcapri79; 08-09-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Come on you Polk experts, advice needed
    By bondslex in forum Speakers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 09:06 AM
  2. Advice needed......................
    By polkyphil38 in forum Speakers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 01:03 PM
  3. A little advice needed SDA 2a or 2b?
    By caseymou in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
  4. Your advice on building polk system
    By alebastardo in forum Speakers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:24 PM
  5. Advice needed
    By polkguy in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts