Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Any other Oppo BDP-83 owners receive the AIX Blue Ray?

I received a Blue Ray disc in the mail today from Oppo with additional HD demo tracks and configuration tools. What a cool deal for them to send something like that out after I'd already purchased the unit. Nice touch! Can't wait to take it for a spin.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83[/SIZE]

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Yeah, I got mine a couple of days ago and soon everyone who purchased will get this along with the S&M video disk. The DTS-HD/MA identification track doesn't work (confirmed by Oppo this morning), but everything else does. The AIX sampler portion was, to me, very underwhelming after suffering through the introduction by the CEO/owner, but hey, it's free and the calibration tools work...great job Oppo.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That Oppo co. is Cool.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

Member Sales Rating: (16)

The sample tracks aren't that great. I'm getting an interesting problem where the Oppo is identifying the tracks as Dolby TrueHD but my amp sees the signal as normal DTS (not MA). Whey I use the other disc that came with the player, the audio signals are detected correctly on both sides. Very strange.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Home Theater: polkaudio Modded SDA SRS 2.3TL's, LSiM706c, 4 X TC265i Rears, SVS PB12 Plus/2
    Pioneer Elite SC-67, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, Oppo BDP-83[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    The sample tracks aren't that great. I'm getting an interesting problem where the Oppo is identifying the tracks as Dolby TrueHD but my amp sees the signal as normal DTS (not MA). Whey I use the other disc that came with the player, the audio signals are detected correctly on both sides. Very strange.
    Very strange...maybe the whole ident section is wonky. Oppo told me that there was an encoding issue and they'd contacted AIX. Mine identified and played Dolby TH and all the LPCM layers, but couldn't catch the DTS=HD/MA. However, all calibration tests worked fine.
    I did play a movie later with DTS-HD/MA and the player flagged it and performed fine...it's the disk.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hi. I work for AIX and once did for Polk. Maybe I can help.

I'm surprized that Oppo told you that the DTSHD-MA doesn't work. It seems to work just fine for us. Now there has been a lot of confusion generated by our decision to lower the downmix coef. of the 7.1 DTSHD-MA channel ID as much as possible to prevent people from playing a 7.1 ID test on a 5.1 system (or a system set to 5.1). On the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ID test we were able to include a verbal warning, but DTS-MA does not allow separate files, so we just made it quiet. We regret not explaining this decision on the disc or packaging. Please only use these tests if you have a 7.1 system.

It does work, and to my knowledge, Oppo thinks it works. (Make sure you have secondary audio off).

Please feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent55 View Post
    Hi. I work for AIX and once did for Polk. Maybe I can help.

I'm surprized that Oppo told you that the DTSHD-MA doesn't work. It seems to work just fine for us. Now there has been a lot of confusion generated by our decision to lower the downmix coef. of the 7.1 DTSHD-MA channel ID as much as possible to prevent people from playing a 7.1 ID test on a 5.1 system (or a system set to 5.1). On the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ID test we were able to include a verbal warning, but DTS-MA does not allow separate files, so we just made it quiet. We regret not explaining this decision on the disc or packaging. Please only use these tests if you have a 7.1 system.

It does work, and to my knowledge, Oppo thinks it works. (Make sure you have secondary audio off).

Please feel free to contact me.
    Thanks for your reply Brett. I saw another from Mark over on AH, but yours specifically addresses what happened to me. My setup is 5.1 over analog, so it makes total sense now.

Appreciate you guys clearing this up for me :), but really it's a non-issue. I can see why AIX may have been sensitive to my posts however.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE

Member Sales Rating: (1)

My BDP-83 that I just got on Friday from Amazon came with the AIX and S&M discs in the box, which was a nice surprise. The 7.1 identification worked fine for me, but since I'm bitstreaming to a 7.1 setup, no surprise there.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I'm bitstreaming from the BDP-83 to a Yamaha RX-V663.

Dolby TrueHD works fine

DTS-HD Master Audio does not, all other sound tests worked

I have played movies with DTS-HD and had no problems.

I checked the signal info back on the receiver and it says it is receiving DTS-HD Master Audio at 96khz, but no audio. I am not running a 7.1 system, but 5.1 .

This is from another forum:
    "Hi Folks, I'm Brent Curtis, I work for AIX, and we made the Blu-ray disc that came with the Oppo. Bob P. is completely correct. The DTS-MA downmix was set to the lowest possible setting to prevent users from playing a 5.1 stream when they had chosen a 7.1 test. We wanted to set it to silence. Regrettably, we should have mentioned this somewhere on the disc.

If you have the settings in your Oppo and AVR set correctly and really have 7.1, then the DTS-MA test will play at the normal volume. This test should only be used if you have a 7.1 system. While not DTS-MA, there are other 5.1 tests that can be used. For those people who are having troubles with the settings, we noticed some interaction between using the analog outputs and having the Secondary Audio turned on. Please contact Oppo directly for clarification, but first try turning off the Secondary Audio.

We're glad people are enjoying the disc and am sorry for any confusion this has caused, but in a way, the trick is doing its job in illuminating when the 7.1 is not really playing."

The thread this post is copied from is located here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17020576

Hope this helps and welcome!

Thread Information