Had a little scare, well big scare, at the house the other night. I was laying in bed watching tv and I kept smelling something, electrical smell. I have a Panasonic plasma and a directv hd dvr plugged into a monster power surge protector.
I live in the family farm house, was built in 59 and the outlets upstairs are the original three bank two prong type. I had an orange three prong adaptor plugged into the surge protector and into one of those outlets.
Anyway, I looked around in back and couldn't really see anything and decided to check it out more and was putting on my robe when the receiver started freaking out and I could hear this zzzt, zzzt, zzzt. Looked at the outlet and was putting out a pretty good light show where the three prong adaptor was. I know this was a wrong move on my part but I reached down and jerked the plug out, but I was willing to sacrifice my life for my Plasma tv:) I didn't get shocked but did burn my finger a little on the melted plastic.
This is where things really got interesting. The adapter stayed plugged into the outlet and it was still melting and smoking and then all of a sudden things really shorted and it looked like somebody was welding back there, I **** you not. More smoke and flames and the breaker finally blew...
After the smoke cleared I got the adapter out, not much left of it, and took the outlet off to see if everything was okay with the wiring. The wiring was fine, looks like the issue was in the adapter. I've had this plugged in there for pretty close to a year now and am not really sure why this all of a sudden decided to melt down. The Tv and the receiver were also okay.
This all happened the night before we left on a trip, thank god we were here. Needles to say we went around and unplugged everything in the house before we left.....And, I will also be updating the outlet....