Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Lorthos

Default Up In Smoke.....

Hello

Had a little scare, well big scare, at the house the other night. I was laying in bed watching tv and I kept smelling something, electrical smell. I have a Panasonic plasma and a directv hd dvr plugged into a monster power surge protector.

I live in the family farm house, was built in 59 and the outlets upstairs are the original three bank two prong type. I had an orange three prong adaptor plugged into the surge protector and into one of those outlets.

Anyway, I looked around in back and couldn't really see anything and decided to check it out more and was putting on my robe when the receiver started freaking out and I could hear this zzzt, zzzt, zzzt. Looked at the outlet and was putting out a pretty good light show where the three prong adaptor was. I know this was a wrong move on my part but I reached down and jerked the plug out, but I was willing to sacrifice my life for my Plasma tv:) I didn't get shocked but did burn my finger a little on the melted plastic.

This is where things really got interesting. The adapter stayed plugged into the outlet and it was still melting and smoking and then all of a sudden things really shorted and it looked like somebody was welding back there, I **** you not. More smoke and flames and the breaker finally blew...

After the smoke cleared I got the adapter out, not much left of it, and took the outlet off to see if everything was okay with the wiring. The wiring was fine, looks like the issue was in the adapter. I've had this plugged in there for pretty close to a year now and am not really sure why this all of a sudden decided to melt down. The Tv and the receiver were also okay.

This all happened the night before we left on a trip, thank god we were here. Needles to say we went around and unplugged everything in the house before we left.....And, I will also be updating the outlet....
    Last edited by Lorthos; 04-23-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Wow glad everything turned out alright.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Looks like Lightman has been up to his old tricks... and glad all is well
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (2)

That's a serious bummer. I hope nothing happened to your plasma. While it may not have killed it, electrical issues like that have a way of shortening life expectancies of electrical components. Also, I'd think about replacing the surge protector now.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Count your blessings, that was definitely one of them.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Holy smokes! Literally!!! Glad it wasn't any worse.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Have someone check your circuit breakers, if you had a light show with sparks flying, the breaker should have tripped. Glad you're alright and that your plasma survived.

Jimmy

Lorthos

Quote Originally Posted by jimmydep View Post
    Have someone check your circuit breakers, if you had a light show with sparks flying, the breaker should have tripped. Glad you're alright and that your plasma survived.

Jimmy
    Yes, it should have tripped right away. Am going to replace the breaker too.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Some stories do have happy endings:) glad to read the outcome was so good from what could have been very catastrophic.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Send it back to Monster and tell them their **** sucks! they can't argue with a burned up plug like yours.

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut View Post
    Count your blessings, that was definitely one of them.
    +1000

That is my worst fear not the gear it can be replaced, but a FIRE...

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I once had a power surge come thru the house and it melted my surge protector right to the carpet and the only thing that didn't survive was my powered sub. Thankfully I was also home at the time I would have not wanted to see the outcome it I had not been. Glad to see that everything is ok.

Mark
    Sig to be updated after dealing with the insurance company:(:(:(

Wow, that one prong is burnt right off! I can't believe the breaker didn't trip sooner regardless of how bad of shape it may be in.

This gives me an idea for when I move into my house... replace all breakers!

Lorthos

Hello

Just a followup, I talked to an electrician this morning and he came up with a great solution along with swapping out the breaker. I'm going to swap out some of the outlets, where theres three prong cords needed, with GFI's. That way if anything starts to even have a hint of shorting out it will trip the GFI also.

I did that with the outlet I had trouble with and then put in a UPS off of the GFI to run the Directv HD DVR.

Everything seems to be okay so far.....
    Last edited by Lorthos; 08-17-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I see the name MONSTER on it....there's your problem.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer

Lorthos

Quote Originally Posted by TNRabbit View Post
    I see the name MONSTER on it....there's your problem.
    Yes, theres no more Monsters in the house:)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorthos View Post
    Hello

Just a followup, I talked to and electrician this morning and he came up with a great solution along with swapping out the breaker. I'm going to swap out some of the outlets, where theres three prong cords needed, with GFI's. That way if anything starts to even have a hint of shorting out it will trip the GFI also.

I did that with the outlet I had trouble with and then put in a UPS off of the GFI to run the Directv HD DVR.

Everything seems to be okay so far.....
    What is a GFI?

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Ground Fault Interrupt

You more than likely have them as the plugs around sinks, bathtubs where a short could easily happen. I'm sure there is more technical stuff, but I don't know any of it.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

I hope you thanked someone for that blessing,, that plug looks nasty,, glad no one was hurt.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters really are not to code and this is probably a case in point. The only way to go 3 prong to 2 within code is with a separate ground strapped to it or a GFCI outlet like the electrician recommended.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Whew! Glad you were able to avert disaster. Nice to hear everyones okay. Hope the gear is alright.

Pat.
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-05
    Amp: Emotiva Xpa-3
    Front L/R: POLK Rti-a9s':D
    Center:POLK Csi-a6
    Rear surround's:POLK Rti-a1s'
    Sub: Klipsch Synergy sub-12
    Sony Kdl-46w4100 46" LCD
    PS3
    Audioquest type 4 wiring.

Thread Information