Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Onkyo TX-NR807

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Onkyo TX-NR807

Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

I knew this was out in Europe, but it just appeared on Onkyo's U.S. site.

Looks like a pretty nice unit.

This has gone beyond Dolby ProLogic IIz now. They've added Front Wide speakers. That's right. With Audyssey DSX(Dynamic Sound Expansion), you can now have an even wider front soundstage. Not only do you get the standard L/C/R arrangement, and L/R Height speakers, you now also get L/R "Wide" speakers. So you have the standard L/R, and then the "Width" speakers spaced farther apart on either side of the front soundstage.

You can also have the standard surrounds/surround back speakers. Best of all, unlike the Onkyo 607, you can use ALL of these speakers at the same time.

They claim 135 wpc with 2 channels driven, but if they're anything like the recent Onkyo's, they'll exceed that spec. I'll be interested to see a real world all channels driven spec. I'd be willing to bet the all channels driven rating is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 wpc.

It has plenty of other great features, such as networking capability(hence the "NR" rather than "SR" connotation), and it also has streaming capability for Pandora, Rhapsody, DLNA and Windows 7.

Faroudja DCDI 1080p upscaling, upscaling of component sources to 1080i, 6 in/1 out HDMI V1.3a repeater with 1080p pass through.

It still maintains the THX Select2 Plus certification as well of course.

Did I mention that it also has 2 subwoofer outputs? That makes this an 11.2 AVR!!..

Sounds like a very solid unit. I kind of want one...

Any thoughts?

edit-A quick google search puts the MSRP at $1100.
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 08-25-2009 at 12:45 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Looks like a nice system. 6 HDMI 1.3a (would have all HDMI Connect features) beats everything. Very competitive price considering it has Video stream playback. Not sure what it takes for them to introduce a Class-D amp.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Looks pretty neat, as per a guy who knows "almost" absolutely nothing of what you just said concerning the home theater stuff. I usually only look at the weight of it to see if it might be built well. I've never figured out what the deal was with all the bells and whistles on receivers but it doesn't bother me in the slightest (and this is from a guy who doesn't have a cell phone, nor wants one ).

Maybe the 876 would be better for you (bigger set of balls and all)? Just kidding, I always liked Onkyo gear and still have some. If you end up purchasing this let everyone know how you like it!

I am probably going to be upgrading my AVR either late this year, or early next year. It's been between the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and the Onkyo TX-SR806 for the most part...but this 807 is damn tempting!

At $1100 though, it's a bit over my price range. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to purchase one there will be some refurbs on the market! Time will tell.

I saw this coming though...I even mentioned it in a post here a while back when the 607 came out.

First it was 5.1, then 7.1, then 7.1 with height speakers(9.1)...and now it's 7.1 with height AND width speakers. Add in the second sub output for 11.2!! When will it end!? Pretty soon we're going to have height center channels...then width surrounds, then height surrounds, height surround backs, height width surrounds...20.1!

Like I said...when will it end!?...lol
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Looks like a pretty impresive unit Curt. Not sure about all those extra "width" speakers though, lol guess I'm just old fashioned. I like the inputs, power ratings, and the 2 subwoofer hookups. At just under 40lbs, it looks like a pretty beefy unit (par for the course for Onkyo) but doesn't look like they put the Burr Brown DAC's back in it? Damn you Curt, now I want one, lol. Oh and to make your decision even harder, Newegg has them for $994, with free shipping. :D

-Jeff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...kyo-_-82120136
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Hmm...$994 puts it a little bit more in reach.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

LOL, I figured it would, just imagine what the price will be in 6 months when you are ready to buy a new AVR. Hey I know, buy my 806 and I will buy the 807, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

Yeah, hopefully the price will have dropped a couple hundred 6 months from now. I'm still going to hope for some refurb units though.

Who knows if I'll even end up buying one of these...It would be a long time before I even utilized the height or the width speakers...or even the surround back channels for that matter.

The streaming is a nice feature...but I probably wouldn't use that until later down the road either.

The 806 or the Elite SC-07 would probably make more sense for me currently in all reality.

We'll see...I just might take you up on that offer for the 806.;)

This 807 is tempting though...

Oh well...that purchase is still a ways off...I'm sure I'll change my mind a minimum of 20 more times before I actually end up buying one.:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablycurt View Post
    Oh well...that purchase is still a ways off...I'm sure I'll change my mind a minimum of 20 more times before I actually end up buying one.:p

Ain't that the truth, lol. :D

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Personally I would wait a little bit before buying one of these. New AVRs always seem to have some little small glitches or bugs that don't always get worked out during pre-production QA/QC testing and inspection. These small glitches usually get resolved a little later in the production run. Also as others have mentioned, Onkyo did not reinstate the Burr-Brown DACs on the 807 as was originally speculated. I really enjoy the performance of my 806 for movies and tv, but felt it always lacked in musical performance compared to some of the other AVRs out there. If you listen to music alot and do not have, or do not plan to incorporate a seperate music preamp and amp into your system for two channel music listening, I would take a hard look at some of the other AVRs out there. That is unless Onkyo has introduced a new DAC in the 807 which is more musical than the one on the 806. I was really getting my hopes up about the 807 have the Burr-Browns (or better) DACs.

I have no plans on buying one, was just saying it looked like a nice AVR. Even if I did want one I wouldn't be able to afford one until loooooong after the kinks would have been worked out, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

At $1100 though, it's a bit over my price range. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to purchase one there will be some refurbs on the market! Time will tell.
    If you can avoid being seduced by newly released receivers, great deals are to be had on the previous years models.

I just picked up a Denon AVR-989 (MSRP $1199 when it was released last August) for $549 w/free shipping from Amazon.com.

If you wait a full year from now, I would expect you could pick it up for less than half price. However new models will be out and tempting you as well :p

I am probably going to be upgrading my AVR either late this year, or early next year. It's been between the Pioneer Elite SC-07 and the Onkyo TX-SR806 for the most part...but this 807 is damn tempting!
    Dude you don't want an 806, it's very stripped, read the reviews. If you are going with older Onk, go with 805.

But 807 definitely looks great on paper!

I've read the reviews...I'd rather have an 806 than an 805. I want the better video processing section. I'd be getting external amps anyway, so that point is mute. As far as the DAC's go...not an issue. I never listen to music on my AVR. It exclusively for HT.

I have a 2 channel rig for listening to music.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (3)

HT-RC180

Anyone look at this from Onkyo? Near identical to the 807. Doesn't have Dual Push/Pull or something like that. 1 less HDMI and fewer component video. Lower wattage rating. Not Sirius Sat ready. 50.00 less. Not sure of any other differences.

Seems to be at an odd price point.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I've read the reviews...I'd rather have an 806 than an 805. I want the better video processing section. I'd be getting external amps anyway, so that point is mute. As far as the DAC's go...not an issue. I never listen to music on my AVR. It exclusively for HT.

I have a 2 channel rig for listening to music.
    It sounds like the Onkyo 806 would be a great choice for you then. It fit's all of your criteria nicely and can be picked up for a really good price. Like I said, it is a very good AVR for movies and tv. You can't go wrong with it for that.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

been playing with the 807 at work kewl receiver very clean sounding i am limited as to what i can do since it is hooked up through a board but none the less been impressed so far. sure would like to set one up and see how the dolby IIz works, really give it a work out
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Adcom GFA 7500
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Mitsubishi WD65837 DLP
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2

I could not be happier with my 806 and I listen to both HT and music. I guess if I had some cash I just wanted to piss away, I could find something better for more money. The 806 works for me.

Member Sales Rating: (23)

Mark my words, this AVR will be available from certain online authorized dealers for $900 by the end of September.

Interesting...the TX-SR707 has the Burr Brown DAC's. I wonder of the 807 has them? It doesn't say what kind they are on the 807's product page.

The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Man if that 807 has the Burr Brown's I will curse your name for hours Curt!!!! Then go buy one, lol. That 807 is sounding better and better everyday. Looks like Onkyo hit the nail on the head with this one.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

Quote Originally Posted by wutadumsn23 View Post
    Man if that 807 has the Burr Brown's I will curse your name for hours Curt!!!! Then go buy one, lol. That 807 is sounding better and better everyday. Looks like Onkyo hit the nail on the head with this one.

-Jeff
    Yes...that 807 really is looking nice. I think I'm gonna shoot Onkyo CS a question and find out if the 807 uses the Burr Browns. Onkyo CS is terrible, so it'll probably be at least 2-3 weeks before I get a response...lol Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.:p

I was hoping to maybe upgrade my AVR late this year...but after doing some more consideration, I might put it off until next year, until I get the coin together for an 807. That all remains to be seen though.

edit-A question has been sent to Onkyo, to find out if the Burr Browns are back in the 807. Now I play the waiting game...I'll report back in a couple weeks...lol

edit edit-Maybe I should just hold off until this is released in the US... The Onkyo PR-SC5507.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/PR-SC5507.html

The only gripe with this new pre-pro is that you apparently can't use the height and width channels at the same time. Whether or not I'd ever even use one of the two, let alone both, is debatable, but it would still be nice to have the option. Looks like it's one or the other. That doesn't make sense to me, since the new mid-level Onkyo AVR's are capable of using both height and width channels at the same time.

Did I mention that the PR-SC5507 has the Burr Brown DAC's?;)

Also, 7 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs...dual main subwoofer outputs, plus Zone 2 and Zone 3 subwoofer outputs. It also has the streaming capabilities of the 807. Looks like a damn nice pre-pro, aside from that one gripe.

lol...edit edit edit-I just noticed something weird...the product page says PR-SC5507, but in the picture showing the back panel, it says PR-SC887...
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 09-01-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Looks like Onkyo is going to be the one to put this issue to bed. I have read a lot of conflicting reports as to whether or not the 807 has the Burr Brown DAC's or not. The Onkyo Europe page says it does, but the Onkyo USA page just says that it has 192K/24 Bit DACs, but no specific mention to the Burr Brown's like on the 707 page. Let me know what you find out, I would like to find out ofr sure too.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

I'm loving it...DSX is better then expected

Quote Originally Posted by dukenkjp View Post
    I'm loving it...DSX is better then expected
    Do you have an 807 then, I take it? What kind of speaker setup are you using?

Do you happen to know what kind of DAC's are in it?

Onkyo's terrible customer service still hasn't gotten back to me. I got an automated message saying thanks for emailing Onkyo CS, but that's it so far.

Onkyo has some of the worst CS I've ever dealt with...
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Burr brown is in both published manuals us and international. Download pdf. I'm using 2 rti8s front, 2 rti8s fwide, r50 surround, csi3 soon to be 5 center. I love DSX mode so far. I think this should be the standard for setup rather then dolby 5.1

Has anyone seen this yet?

I knew this was out in Europe, but it just appeared on Onkyo's U.S. site.

Looks like a pretty nice unit.

This has gone beyond Dolby ProLogic IIz now. They've added Front Wide speakers. That's right. With Audyssey DSX(Dynamic Sound Expansion), you can now have an even wider front soundstage. Not only do you get the standard L/C/R arrangement, and L/R Height speakers, you now also get L/R "Wide" speakers. So you have the standard L/R, and then the "Width" speakers spaced farther apart on either side of the front soundstage.

You can also have the standard surrounds/surround back speakers. Best of all, unlike the Onkyo 607, you can use ALL of these speakers at the same time.

They claim 135 wpc with 2 channels driven, but if they're anything like the recent Onkyo's, they'll exceed that spec. I'll be interested to see a real world all channels driven spec. I'd be willing to bet the all channels driven rating is somewhere in the neighborhood of 135 wpc.

It has plenty of other great features, such as networking capability(hence the "NR" rather than "SR" connotation), and it also has streaming capability for Pandora, Rhapsody, DLNA and Windows 7.

Faroudja DCDI 1080p upscaling, upscaling of component sources to 1080i, 6 in/1 out HDMI V1.3a repeater with 1080p pass through.

It still maintains the THX Select2 Plus certification as well of course.

Did I mention that it also has 2 subwoofer outputs? That makes this an 11.2 AVR!!..

Sounds like a very solid unit. I kind of want one...

Any thoughts?

edit-A quick google search puts the MSRP at $1100.
    Hi Curt

Don't forget to look around for an older avr as there are some pretty good units to be had. I found mine used and at 65 lbs, it is a beast. It is in like new condition as well.

Tim
    "They're always talking about my drinking, but never mention my thirst" Oscar Wilde

Pre-Amp: Anthem AVM 20
    Amp: Carver TFM-35
    Amp: Rotel RB-870BX
    Fronts : SDA 1B w/ RDO-194s
    T.V.:Plasma TC-P54G25
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-93
    Speaker Cables: MIT Terminater
    Interconnect Cables:DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1isonic

Quote Originally Posted by dukenkjp View Post
    Burr brown is in both published manuals us and international. Download pdf. I'm using 2 rti8s front, 2 rti8s fwide, r50 surround, csi3 soon to be 5 center. I love DSX mode so far. I think this should be the standard for setup rather then dolby 5.1
    I looked in the manual...I didn't see any mention of the Burr Brown DAC's. I'll take a look again.

I wouldn't count on DSX becoming the new standard. Most people don't have the room for width speakers. I know I sure as hell don't...lol

5.1 is, and likely always will be the standard surround sound format.

Quote Originally Posted by renowilliams View Post
    Hi Curt

Don't forget to look around for an older avr as there are some pretty good units to be had. I found mine used and at 65 lbs, it is a beast. It is in like new condition as well.

Tim
    I highly doubt that an 807 will be my next AVR. I might get one in a few years when they can be had for half of the current price...but I'm not too worried about it.

I really could care less about height and width speakers...HT is secondary to 2 channel for me. My next AVR will likely either be an Onkyo 805/806, or a Pioneer Elite SC-05/07.

edit-My bad...I just checked the 807's manual again, and it does list the Burr Brown's. I wonder why they don't mention them on the product page on their website though...They mention the BB's on the 707's product page.

You'd think they'd make a point of letting everyone know that the Burr Brown's are back, since so many people prefer the 805 to the 806 just because of that.

And for the record, I still haven't heard back from Onkyo's CS. I like their products, but they have some of the worst CS I've ever dealt with.
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 09-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Skip the 806 and either go 805 or 807.

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd spend the money on the Monte :)

P.S. How's that SPL meter? Come in handy yet?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by appadv View Post
    Skip the 806 and either go 805 or 807.

Otherwise, if I were you, I'd spend the money on the Monte :)

P.S. How's that SPL meter? Come in handy yet?
    I'll probably end up going for the 805 if I stick with Onkyo. The Pio SC-07 is looking damn tempting too though.

The Monte is an entirely different money pit...that's separate from the audio fund...lol

The SPL meter has come in real handy. I used it for level matching the Emo ERC-1 with my Cambridge while I was demo'ing the Emo...I've also been messing around with it setting my HT levels. I've still got some more tinkering to do, but the HT is sounding a lot better now that it's calibrated by hand!

Thanks again for the Karma!!:D
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp