Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by wutadumsn23 View Post
    You know you want that 807 Curt, lol. :D

-Jeff
    You're right, I DO know that I want one...unfortunately though, I also KNOW that I can't afford one.:p;)

Really though, most of the features it has wouldn't even be getting used for several years yet. My current room doesn't really allow me to even have 7.1, let alone 11.1 or something crazy like that...lol
    Last edited by comfortablycurt; 09-11-2009 at 05:48 AM.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

Member Sales Rating: (0)

True that Curt, it is on my list but for the same reasons as you I probably won't pull the trigger either.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

FYI: Newegg's running sales on the TX-NR1007 at $999.99 pretty much any time they have 'em in stock on the weekends, which is a freakin' STEAL! I just pulled the trigger on one this morning to replace my TX-SR705, and I'm looking for some height speakers to hook up 9.2 surround (SVS 20-39CS+ plus Buttkicker LFE). WHEE!

Sweet!! I can't wait to hear some feedback on it after you've spent some time with it.

I'm still tossing the 807 around in the back of my mind...but my next AVR will probably either be an 805...or a Pioneer SC-07.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

I'm interested to see how much different it sounds. The puck mic that came with my 705 seems to work great, but it'll be nice to have a mic that Audyssey has actually verified the response of in more than just batches.

Of course, it wasn't until after I pulled the trigger on it that I realized it is 3" deeper than my 705... which means it won't fit where I have my receiver now. Minor detail! I have until Tuesday to figure it out! :D

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

If I were going to upgrade my TXSR805 I'd go directly to the 1007 or 3007 forget about the 806/7...look at the weight-805 same weight as the higher units/more than 13-14 lbs heavier than its descendants--. Or I'd go Pioneer ICE...

The 805 was pound for pound/ dollar for dollar the best AVR Onkyo has made to date...don't know how they did it....a 50+ pound receiver, with a 60 amp dynamic peak, full power 130W to at least 5 channels or more, Burr Brown DACs, HUGE EL transformer...dwarfs the 806/7; equals the 876/1007/3007? Has 1.3HDMI....and was regularly discounted to 699 or less 'new' early in its career!!

The only weaknesses today are not the AUDIO section..but the video upconversion...which the 805 only does to 720p...no problem there if your HDTV is 46" or less--hard to see the differenece at that size.

Besides who uses any less than HDTV sources today??? And what BDP/HDTV doesn't upconvert to 1080p (its native resolution)....I don't know of any.

This upconversion stuff isn't what it's cracked up to be...what you need is a good audio processor with a 'decent' not great amp section....after all you can spend 5000 or more on some AVRs?

I bought mine refurb for the ridiculous price of just over 400 dollars....the gauntlet has been thrown..find an audio section in any AVR equal to this for that price...with a ONE year warranty!

If you want similar audio...get the 1007 or 3007; they'll also have all the new internet goodies and better video processing as well as more and more HDMI ins...But WAIT FOR THE price to drop and keep checking places like Club Onkyo and Accessories4less....for the 'DEAL'. Be patient and you'll end up paying very very little for a lot of AVR.

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-07-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cnh View Post
    If I were going to upgrade my TXSR805 I'd go directly to the 1007 or 3007 forget about the 806/7...look at the weight-805 same weight as the higher units/more than 13-14 lbs heavier than its descendants--. Or I'd go Pioneer ICE...

The 805 was pound for pound/ dollar for dollar the best AVR Onkyo has made to date...don't know how they did it....a 50+ pound receiver, with a 60 amp dynamic peak, full power 130W to at least 5 channels or more, Burr Brown DACs, HUGE EL transformer...dwarfs the 806/7; equals the 876/1007/3007? Has 1.3HDMI....and was regularly discounted to 699 or less 'new' early in its career!!

The only weaknesses today are not the AUDIO section..but the video upconversion...which the 805 only does to 720p...no problem there if your HDTV is 46" or less--hard to see the differenece at that size.

Besides who uses any less than HDTV sources today??? And what BDP/HDTV doesn't upconvert to 1080p (its native resolution)....I don't know of any.

This upconversion stuff isn't what it's cracked up to be...what you need is a good audio processor with a 'decent' not great amp section....after all you can spend 5000 or more on some AVRs?

I bought mine refurb for the ridiculous price of just over 400 dollars....the gauntlet has been thrown..find an audio section in any AVR equal to this for that price...with a ONE year warranty!

If you want similar audio...get the 1007 or 3007; they'll also have all the new internet goodies and better video processing as well as more and more HDMI ins...But WAIT FOR THE price to drop and keep checking places like Club Onkyo and Accessories4less....for the 'DEAL'. Be patient and you'll end up paying very very little for a lot of AVR.

cnh

This post just really helped to sway me towards the 805. The Pio SC-07 looks great...but I really don't want to drop that much coin on it. A little over 400 for the 805 sounds a lot more appealing than the thousandish that the SC-07 would run.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Does this have the 805 brawn?
    High school and high-fi don't mesh well, wallet-wise.

Home: Polk Audio LSi15 -> Onkyo TX-SR805 -> WDTV HD Media Server
    PC: Energy RC-10 -> Onkyo Integrated Amp -> X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Portable: ES3X | UE11 Pro | JH13 -> Samsung P3|iTouch 3G
    Wishlist: Specialized Tarmac Elite|full carbon build

Banned

The 805 is a beefcake and who realy buys an avr for its vp anyways . I should have bought this as its one of the better avr's @4ohm loads . I read some stuff about these new ice amps being sterile and less than ideal for music

Does any of the new onkyo receivers have the same burr browns or better equivalents that were yanked out of the 805?

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

The 1000 level series have much of that....1007/3007/5007....what Onkyo has done is moved the 805 to the 1007 added some new features and increased the price...the 3007 is like an 876 and the 5007 is the new 906.

cnh

Banned

I prefer Denon 4308CI or 4810 Ci

-------------------
    01) DENON AVR-4308CI:D: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's:D
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport (change for a OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player will be available soon)
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker)
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker)
    11) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
    [/QUOTE]

Denon's higher models have always been nice AVRs but according to Mantis, who installs them, they've lost their dynamics and have had more repair problems of late.

That's not to say the Onkyos reliability is any better...if they were there would not be so many 'refurbs' for sale?

Plus its a question of what sound you 'prefer'; they sound a bit different from each other. Each has its own sound signature. I have both and 805 and a Denon 2807...and they are quite different--not better or worse but different...the 805 is of course, more powerful than my Denon, but not yours.

Finally, recent reviews in Home Theater Mag...bench tests show that the PEAK power of the new 807 running only 5 channels is about 100 watts per channel and it falls to fairly miserable levels that are even less powerful than an old Onkyo TX-SR605 in 7 channel...because of this Dolby height channel, etc.

In fact the 807 is considerably weaker than the 806 in 7 channel....HUH!!!!

You want to add all this new, nifty stuff and you don't 'beef up your AMP sections'.....What????

The 805 can and does put out a full 130 watts or MORE at 5 channels continuous and does well in 7 channels also.

It falls to only 55 watts/channel at 4 ohms because it has a limiter circuit...but if you're driving 6-8 ohmers....no recent model 80X series has ever had the power of the 805.

50.9 lbs in weight with a lot of that weight devoted to the EL transformer....which went on a diet in the succeeding models....and seems almost anemic in the 807 even though that is a reasonably heavy receiver at less than 40 lbs...but all the extra processsing and circuitry adds to that weight.

My advice...get the 1007...at least if you want similar driving power to the 805.

And I wish that ONKYO would Do SOMETHING TO GET THEIR RECEIVERS TO NOT RUN SO DAMNED HOT! Heat is just not good for audio equipment.

You can't make Breakfast on a Denon? But you can do bacon and eggs on the right back side of an Onkyo? Stick a fan back there...and you'll add some insurance against a CB failure!

cnh
    Last edited by cnh; 11-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.

My 805 shuts down after >6 hrs of usage...I guess that's the only downside to it...
    High school and high-fi don't mesh well, wallet-wise.

Home: Polk Audio LSi15 -> Onkyo TX-SR805 -> WDTV HD Media Server
    PC: Energy RC-10 -> Onkyo Integrated Amp -> X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
    Portable: ES3X | UE11 Pro | JH13 -> Samsung P3|iTouch 3G
    Wishlist: Specialized Tarmac Elite|full carbon build

I was going for the 807, which was 880.00 at newegg, then I saw the 1007 for 999 and quickly pulled the trigger, I have even seen the 3007 for as low as 1300.00.

One thing to note; I believe that the Onkyo's are unable to run both Wide + Height at the same time. Some hope that a firmware update will solve that issue.

I love the receiver! I am still figuring out all its features.

I just recently switched my M70's to Bi-AMP configuration and love it!

If your looking for an Onkyo get those weekend deals on newegg!

You can run wide and height at the same time, but not with rear surrounds. You can only do 9.1.

I just hooked my 1007 up today, and GOD it's nice. Didn't get my M30s in yet, so I haven't hooked up my height channels... but there's a definite and immediate improvement in sound over my 705, even with 7.1. I hooked it up too late to really play with it, but I'm gonna spend my day off tomorrow tweaking like mad and going through listening material I'm accustomed to hearing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kuntasensei View Post
    You can run wide and height at the same time, but not with rear surrounds. You can only do 9.1.
    How can it be 9.1 if you cant have the rear channels on with the LLZ height channels ?

When I say "you can only do 9.1", I mean any 9 channels of amplification at a time. Audyssey DSX lets you use widths and heights at the same time without any rear surrounds (or lets you use either widths or heights when the rear surrounds are engaged). DPL-IIz, however, has no specification for width speakers, so 9.1 with it would be 7.1 + heights.

Thread Information