Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default Recommendations for a SLR Digital Camera

Our old Olympus is having issues and would appreciate some recommendations for a nice SLR. I'd prefer something that accommodates interchangeable lenses. Some of the Nikon's look nice, but I'm behind the times when it comes to Digital Cameras.

Mahalos in advance,

Mike

Member Sales Rating: (7)

For serious camera work Nikon and Canon are where its at. (personally I always liked the Canon CMOS sensor that they use)

Do you have any lenses from an old film camera you want to make use of? I went with a Sony SLR because I had some Minolta lenses I wanted to use and the sony is compatable with them.

I have the A300 and really like it, but if I was starting from scrach and had no exising lenses or accessories I wanted to make use of - I would have gone with the Canon.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Member Sales Rating: (29)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Nikon.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Canon
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I've had no complaints with my Canon Rebel XSi.
    http://www.dpreview.com has a huge forums section with lots of info, plus comprehensive reviews of most dSLRs on the market.
    If you are looking for high quality and don't mind spending a bit of money, Canon and Nikon are the way to go.

On the flip side: a friend of mine bought one of the Olympus 4/3'ds slrs because of the small size, still with interchangable lenses. He is quite happy with it, but it doesn't perform well in low light (and has lots of noise when using higher ISO)

Quote Originally Posted by McLoki View Post
    For serious camera work Nikon and Canon are where its at. (personally I always liked the Canon CMOS sensor that they use)

Do you have any lenses from an old film camera you want to make use of? I went with a Sony SLR because I had some Minolta lenses I wanted to use and the sony is compatable with them.

I have the A300 and really like it, but if I was starting from scrach and had no exising lenses or accessories I wanted to make use of - I would have gone with the Canon.

Michael
    I have a vintage Cannon AT-1 with a really nice 200mm zoom lens as well as a standard 50mm that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
    I was looking at the Nikon D60. Looks to be what I'm looking for and I think this comes with 2 lenses. The price I think is good, but if I can do better, shout.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...outThisProduct

Meant to add:
    Don't listen to fanboys. :) Get as much info as you can from reputable review sites. Go to a local camera shop or two and tell them what is important to you. Locally owned shops should be able to offer you great, and honest advice. Narrow your choice down to one model for each brand and then decide which will meet your needs the most as each camera of each brand has both pros and cons.

One thing I wish I did before purchasing was look into what types of lenses I would want down the road and what their costs/quality/resale values are like.

Nikon, but have a Canon DSLR as well...

Thanks all. This looks even better than the previous link.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D60-Digi...outThisProduct

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Both Nikon and Canon are great cameras.

I have a Nikon, but to tell you the truth, for every day pictures my daughter's $150 Panasonic camera produces the best pictures. The colors are just incredible.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
    Thanks all. This looks even better than the previous link.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D60-Digi...outThisProduct

If you're getting a zoom, I'd recommend you go up to 300mm. IMO it makes a good enough difference to justify the (small) extra cost.

SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    If you're getting a zoom, I'd recommend you go up to 300mm. IMO it makes a good enough difference to justify the (small) extra cost.
    Hokay...So this led me to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...outThisProduct

Although Tamron are not bad lenses, I would go with Canon (or Nikon); you will also want to have some kind of stabilization/vibration reduction features in your 300mm lense, plus f4.5 or lower (it can get pricey quickly by going down here....). That Tamron doesn't show any specifications, so I would be careful...might be a very cheap lense.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 08-27-2009 at 11:29 PM.

SOPA

This would be a great kit, though a bit higher priced (BTW this is an excellent seller; you can browse for other kits there).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

SOPA

I'm not familiar with the Tamron lens either Ricardo. I'm leaning more towards the Nikon.

I figure I can always upgrade to a better zoom lens down the road if necessary. I just want a good SLR camera that takes good pictures. Do you guys think that's a good deal for the Nikon kit @ 749.00? I didn't want to spend more than 1k and this has everything I need to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    This would be a great kit, though a bit higher priced (BTW this is an excellent seller; you can browse for other kits there).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
    Yuppers, bought from bhphoto before and they are an excellent online retailer.

You could always save some money by getting a second hand body, and then throw some extra cash into some good glass.
    Check out the buy and sell section of this site.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Quote Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
    +1 I really like mine and have had no issues with it and have had it for over a year. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mark
    Sig to be updated after dealing with the insurance company:(:(:(

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Had a Nikon N8008 35mm SLR but just upgraded to a D40x. I love the new one. I was skeptical because I had only used various point and shoot digital cameras and hated the experience. The lag after you click on the shutter button is terrible. Shooting with the D40x is no different (for amateur photos) than shooting with the 35mm SLR.

I am still using my old lenses so no autofocus. Someday I will get a new lens. If you really want a nice camera, then make sure to get a Canon or Nikon. I have been partial to Nikon though. Get the camera with the features you want then look at reviews at kenrockwell.com. If you go with a DSLR don't worry too much about getting the best camera body. Put the money in lenses. Try to upgrade the kit lens to something better if possible.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

both nikon and canon r nice. canon colour is more natural, nikon is more dramatic which is good if u know wut u want to do.
    it depends on ur budget otherwise cheapest d40 will do. i think D90 has HD recording ability (wasnt excatly sure) which could be very useful for some people, and more expensive too.
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I just got a Nikon D40 with this deal, but I'm still waiting on my cashback. So far the camera is great. I know nothing about being a good photographer but this camera takes better pictures FOR me. It's great and I look forward to learning how to take better pictures.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...id=0&t=1519651
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Mike...

I would highly recommend the following camera and lenses.

Canon XSi with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_IS.html

Those lenses cover a very good range for about 95% of what you shoot. They are excellent lenses (first hand knowledge), with Image Stabilization that allows up to a 4 stop advantage when needed. Both use the same filter size foro things like ND or CP filters.

For $886 ± that is a great setup...until you get real serious...:D
    Last edited by shack; 08-28-2009 at 10:01 AM.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Quote Originally Posted by SivaNevets
    canon colour is more natural, nikon is more dramatic which is good if u know wut u want to do.
    - There is no difference between the color the sensors on these cameras will capture. The difference between cameras is build and features. Various lenses may make a difference depending on the quality of the glass and the particular arrangement of the optics...but the camera sensor itself will simply record what is sent to it. Of course you can have the camera's electronics do some on board adjustments based on your shooting style or preference...but the above statement just isn't right.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Recently got a D60 and it rocks.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    - There is no difference between the color the sensors on these cameras will capture. The difference between cameras is build and features. Various lenses may make a difference depending on the quality of the glass and the particular arrangement of the optics...but the camera sensor itself will simply record what is sent to it. Of course you can have the camera's electronics do some on board adjustments based on your shooting style or preference...but the above statement just isn't right.

besdies the specifics, picture taken from canon and nikon speaks. i own nikon and have also used canon for a while. they are not the same.
    plus i think canon use CMOS
    Front: Polk RTi6
    Center: Polk CSIa4
    Rear: Polk M10
    Receiver: AVR Denon 789
    HTPC Soundcard: Emu-0404 USB for 2.1, Creative X-Fi Platinum for 5.1 (SPDIF out to AVR)
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605
    TV: Toshiba Regza 52' 120Hz

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    Mike...

I would highly recommend the following camera and lenses.

Canon XSi with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_IS.html

Those lenses cover a very good range for about 95% of what you shoot. They are excellent lenses (first hand knowledge), with Image Stabilization that allows up to a 4 stop advantage when needed. Both use the same filter size foro things like ND or CP filters.

For $886 ± that is a great setup...until you get real serious...:D
    WoW! This is nice Steve. 12.2MP How much more serious do I need to be? :D

I was looking hard at the Nikon D60, but with a 250mm zoom, I think we got a winner here. This looks like a lot more camera for just a little more coin. I think (need to check) some of the accessories I have with my Canon ZR65 camcorder may be compatible with this to. Thanks bro!

This looks like a lot more camera for just a little more coin.
    There is one problem though...It's a Canon.

j/k. I had a hard time deciding between Canon & Nikon; you can't go wrong with either.

The only reason I went with Nikon was the "feel"; the Canon was jast a tad small and the grip didn't feel that good.

SOPA

Member Sales Rating: (5)

This probably goes without saying, but if you shop online beware of the "too good to be true" deals that you may find. There's lots of shady internet photo dealers waiting to rip you off. The lowest prices I've found from a dealer that I wouldn't be (too) scared to buy from is at http://www.buydig.com. I've purchased several cameras and lenses from them without any trouble. I've not had to deal with returns or customer service so take that into consideration. You can't go wrong with B&H, and their prices are always good, if not the absolute lowest. Canoga camera has also been good to me.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Canon XSi and lenses that Shack mentioned above. Heck of a setup for less than $1000, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiko
    WoW! This is nice Steve. 12.2MP How much more serious do I need to be? :D
    Well...since you asked. :D My ultimate body and "only 2 lenses" setup would be these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_III_SLR.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ephoto_EF.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8L_IS_USM.html

Of course with this setup I would need to add a 2X teleconverter and the wonderful EF 14mm f/2.8L for the landscape stuff...
    Last edited by shack; 08-28-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Thread Information