Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Thumbs up The First Ever Great Chicago Audio Tour

Hi Guys!

Just wanting to try and put together a visit to some of the high end audio stores in the Chicago area, as there is nothing around me except a Best Buy. I would like to meet up with fellow Polkies here in Indiana and drive up as a group to Chicago for a day of good food and great high end audio shopping. Important on the list for me would be a coupe great places to buy used gear as well. It might also be a great way to get with some of the Illinois/Chicago/ Southeast Wisconsin Polkies as well. The plan for me would be to shoot for the second week of October, as that will give some time to save up some money to make a purchase or two. Let me know what you guys think!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Oh man that sounds great, extra room for me? :D
    Lol would really have to see what the future holds, that sounds like some fun though.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.

always room for you. I was hoping one of the natives might be interested in being a tour guide;) You would have to know where the best place for Pizza & Beer would be;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Well, I just moved out here so I think I'll ask the other Chicago polk buddies I've made friends with and see what they have to say or if they can go or not.

As far as the beer thing, any place is the best place when enjoying a Budweiser imo. :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Quote Originally Posted by kawizx9r View Post
    Well, I just moved out here so I think I'll ask the other Chicago polk buddies I've made friends with and see what they have to say or if they can go or not.

As far as the beer thing, any place is the best place when enjoying a Budweiser imo. :D
    sorry but Budweiser is not beer... Sam Adams, Killians Irish Red, Foster's... those are beers:p

Lol, Foster's is great stuff...budweiser comes from being in the west coast so long
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Cool, I'm down!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

I might be interested, depending on the date.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Denon DVD-2910 universal player
    DPA The Little Bit Three DAC
    Yamaha P-300 turntable/TCC TC-750 phono preamp
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp
    PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sidewinder IC's
    Audioquest Black Mamba IC's
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's

second saturday in October?
    what do you guy think...

I'll let you know by the first Saturday in October.;)

The way my work schedule works, it's impossible for me to plan ahead for things like this really. I'm generally more of a spur of the moment kind of person anyway.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

I have plans on the 10th already (dinner with the GF and her dad). Don't let that stop you though. I may be able to join you at some point.

ok... so the 17th it is!

Really hard to tell if I'll be able to do it but thought I'd drop in here with some info - http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85813

Has a few links/places in and around Chicago, I bookmarked it little while back in case I wanted to make the trip myself and check these places out. Hope it helps!
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

You had better be there if you know whats good for you or we might just hunt you down, and there is nothing worse than finding out how deep Lake Michigan is while wearing cement shoes.;)

Thumbs up so... who's in besides me.

how many people are in on this little outing?

Member Sales Rating: (15)

17th sounds good to me so far.... that's the weekend i get my "free" paycheck (3 paycheck months are AWESOME!).

We have to be able to track down a place that deals with used gear, though... i don't have the budget or supporting gear to really justify buying something crazy at new price. Most i'll be able to spare to bring with me is in the area of $500, and i'd love to grab a new piece of gear or three. :D Just to play.

But yes... as of right this moment, i'm in. How are we going to work the transportation thing? Everyone drive?
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

I'm in as far as I know, I don't want to wear cementshoes

Unfortunately though I won't be making any huge purchases but it'd be a good time to check places out and have a few beers with some local polkies. Unless something comes up, I'll let you guys know

And yea, hows this meeting up/driving thing working
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

I can take one person with me if i have to... i'm just a little worried about gas consumption depending on the level of lead foot everyone else has. Don't really want to be spooling the turbo all the way there and getting like 8mpg in my economy car. :p
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

I live here in Lafayete and have roon for 4 in my car...

I'm out on this one. The 18th-19th and 20th I'm going to be at the Who Else? Folk Music Festival...so, I'm gonna need all the money I can spare for food and supplies(beer) for the weekend.

I wouldn't really have much more than a couple hundred bucks to spend on gear anyway...so I'm out. If we ever set up another "Great Chicago Audio Tour" though, I'll probably jump in.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

it's not about spending on gear Curt... it's more about hanging out and spending time with fellow polkies. I most likely will not spend money on gear either this time, but I will at least know more about the hobby than I do now, and if I happen to find a bargain, so much the better. Come along for the beer at least. We would all like to see you!

I'm in the city, and have a car but I'd bet you guys have more room in your vehicles to lug people around (08 corolla). I'll tag along with ya John if plans steer clear and I can still go, we should all exchange #'s a week prior or so.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

I think the best idea would to meet up at a central location, and take public transportation. Parking is super expensive, and traffic sucks. Just an Idea.

I'd love to make it, it's just bad timing though. I'm gonna have work to get done before the weekend...getting the camper ready for the weekend...I just wouldn't have the time.

If you guys ever do it again though, I might tag along. I'd love to check out the Chicago area audio shops sometime.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Acurus L10 preamp
    Adcom GFA-545 power amp

Well guys, October 17th is just around the corner, so who's in?
    I am and can carry a few guys in my car...

I'm still probably in. My car would have to be done by then, and it'll be tight since i've been laid up with my back. I can't drive the Celica more than like... 30 minutes.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Since no Olympics for Chicago why not go for the next best thing ... POLKFEST '16
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade)
    Parasound: C/PT-600, HCA-800II; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i

HT:
    Denon AVR-888, Polk: RM7, PSW10, Marantz UD5005, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, DRA-825R, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S8, Monitor 5A, TSi100; Pioneer CT-6R, PL-530; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz PM5004, CD5004

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by skrol View Post
    Since no Olympics for Chicago why not go for the next best thing ... POLKFEST '16
    Thats a good-1!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D

If it'll be the 17th then I can't do it. That's the one and only day I'm busy unless I join up with you guys at noon or so, or just start off a little later? I've got a police exam on the 17th at 9am so I can't afford to miss out on it.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

I would think noon is a good time to be there. I would like to be on the road by 9:30am from my house, so noon sounds like a winner.

Thread Information