Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Default Enter the DRAGON!!!

I can grab a mint condition Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. I do not know much about cassette decks and nothing about the dragon in particular. What are the opinions about this animal? Any and all opinions are welcome.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Probably the best tape deck ever made. I had one back in the '80's and it retailed then for $2995. Even well kept examples due to age need some attention and that attention isn;t cheap and parts are scarce. If it hasn't been gone thru recently plan on having it gone thru shortly. It's like an old auto even if it just sits with no miles it needs attention.

Is this just a toy or are you seriously thinking about getting into recording. I enjoyed mine immensely when I owned it and even if I could pick one up today for really, really cheap I have no idea what I'd use it for.

FWIW--H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I recently sold my Dragon. The guy was from Canada and paid me $800.00 plus shipping, customs, whatever. Mine was mint. It's a really nice machine, was the "bees knees" back in the 80's when I originally bought it. Never gave me any mechanical problems. I had it tuned up, heads cleaned and aligned, lubricated, etc. before I sold it. If you're into making tapes, it's lots of fun.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Definitely worth having if nothing else but to have it. The Dragon was the top of the top of the line for the cassette format. Only problem with it could be the cassette flipping mechanism. Nakamichi heads were pretty good about not wearing too fast. Look carefully at the heads and inspect for wear. Pretty neat to have one, though I'm not sure what you would actually do with it.
    Last edited by vc69; 09-12-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have several cassette decks that are nice quality (past)
    but not much use for them anymore.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by vc69 View Post
    Definitely worth having if nothing else but to have it. The Dragon was the top of the top of the line for the cassette format. Only problem with it could be the cassette flipping mechanism. Nakamichi heads were pretty good about not wearing too fast. Look carefully at the heads and inspect for wear. Pretty neat to have one, though I'm not sure what you would actually do with it.
    The Dragon never flipped cassettes your thinking of the RX202 and RX505 completely different animals.

The Dragon was auto-reverse but it flipped the tape heads and then had a computer controlled azimuth alignment to optimize playback for either side.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thanks guys... Well I decided to go for it and brought home the Dragon! It was a pawnshop score for 150.00. It is now at a repair shop here in town getting a cleaning and new belts installed. Here are a few pictures.:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.3tl's dragon 019.JPG‎
Views:	115
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	43187   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.3tl's dragon 018.JPG‎
Views:	96
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	43188   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.3tl's dragon 016.JPG‎
Views:	100
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	43189   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.3tl's dragon 017.JPG‎
Views:	90
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	43190  
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Did you play a tape in it? You can replace rollers and belts easy, capstans aren't that hard either. It's cool but you should just sell it. I thought it would be cool to get into tape again....and it wasn't.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
    The Dragon never flipped cassettes your thinking of the RX202 and RX505 completely different animals.

The Dragon was auto-reverse but it flipped the tape heads and then had a computer controlled azimuth alignment to optimize playback for either side.

H9
    Lol! I stand corrected. I'm getting old and the last time I saw any cassette deck was at least 15 years ago.:o

I got this thing up and running today, and all I can say is WOW. It makes the few tapes I have sound fantastic. I do plan on recording some of my vinyl over to tapes that I can listen to them in my car, but first need to figure out how to get a signal pass-through to the Dragon as I have no tape monitor feature on my Yami.

Thread Information