Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (15)

Default Pioneer VSX-850S

Well....

I just picked up one of these for $30 with a bad speaker channel. The good news is that all the pre-outs work, so i don't care. The bad news is that it doesn't have a remote, so once again, like my old EX-500 setup, i'm missing a bunch of set up options.

Anyone know anything about these, or have used one?

I've been able to find that it's rated at 110wpc and retailed for $685.

Did i pick up something worth keeping? I was planning on saving and picking up an SC-05 or SC-07, but this was a price that was hard to pass up. It's in VERY good cosmetic condition, too. :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Well, found out that the remote to the EX-500 combo works with this.... for the most part.

Anyone know how to do a master reset on this thing? It's got my FR at +10db, and my FL at +8db, and sub at +10db. It's driving me nuts, because the balance is way off, and the sub is never doing enough to keep up with the volume of the music.

The settings are making me feel like i need to be a brain surgeon... i have no idea what DNR is, or DSC, or how to make the reciever realize that i'm running "large" mains, but still want to utilize a crossover and my subwoofer, rather than running my mains full range and sticking the sub on top of it down low.

The plus sides..... it sounds pretty decent, a bit more forward than i'm used to, but very clear. Has a gigantic sound stage still, i haven't lost any clarity. I have lost a slight bit of low end "fatness" that the Adcom seemed to accentuate, but that could also be the extremely low gain that i'm experiencing with the sub. (Anyone know how to fix that?) I usually ran -23db on my sub with the Adcom setup, and now i'm having to run +2-4db to even come close to evening it out.

It even seemed to have enough power to push the Paradigms by itself, but of course it sounded better with the Oinker amp thrown on it. Just experimenting right now...... it won't stay in a 2-channel setup.

Gets nice and warm though....
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Hey concealer404.
    I have an extra vsx-D850s, in full working order, with remote, manuals and antenas. PM me if you are interested, I was going to put it up for sale but I been to busy. I upgraded to my SC-07. I am looking for $75-$100.
    Current HT setup
    Mains: B&W 804s
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
    Receiver: Pioneer SC-07
    Amplifier: Sunfire TGA5200
    TV: Sony KDS60A2020
    DBP: Sony DBP-S350
    CDP: Pioneer DV-48AV
    Interconnect cables: SignalCable analog II
    speaker cables: SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables Bi-wire

Quote Originally Posted by olilugo View Post
    Hey concealer404.
    I have an extra vsx-D850s, in full working order, with remote, manuals and antenas. PM me if you are interested, I was going to put it up for sale but I been to busy. I upgraded to my SC-07. I am looking for $75-$100.
    Will be next paycheck, but i may be interested. I'm actually moving this week, so i have to save the rest of my money for a truck and stuff. I'll keeep you posted.

Any ideas on how to adjust the low sub output? Am i able to run my mains as large and select a lower crossover than 100hz? That's simply too high of a cutoff for my paradigms.

Bumpage.

Is this thing really that crappy that nobody has ever used it or knows how to boost the sub level to actually match what's going on?

I'm being sad because if i just run my mains i get more bass than i do if i run the sub in conjunction. :(

Bueller?

Current HT setup
    Mains: B&W 804s
    Center: Polk CSi5
    Surround: Polk FXi3
    Sub: Velodyne DLS-3750R
    Receiver: Pioneer SC-07
    Amplifier: Sunfire TGA5200
    TV: Sony KDS60A2020
    DBP: Sony DBP-S350
    CDP: Pioneer DV-48AV
    Interconnect cables: SignalCable analog II
    speaker cables: SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables Bi-wire

I have the manual... doesn't say anything about sub level other than how to connect and boost the level from the AVR. Still too weak. :(

Try this:

1. Press 'setup'
    2. Use the smaller dial to get to 'surround set'
    3. Scroll to 'channel level' choose 'manual' and test tones will play for each channel in which you can adjust the levels including sub.

Hope this helps.
    - Zeb

Thread Information