Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Which Tweeters to change RDO198 or RDO194

Since I am going to upgrade my crossover on my Monitor 10B I am also going to change the tweeters.I am seeking the experts here for their advise to change to which tweeters that is suitable to the M10 The RDO 194 or RDO198

To use either tweeters which Schematics should I use

Thank You
    Wilson

Member Sales Rating: (25)

I can't speak with authority, but I don't think the RDO-194 and the 198 are interchangeable, at least not without some kind of XO mod.

The RDO-194s are a replacement for the SL2000 tweeters. I'm not sure if they can also be used as a replacement for the Peerless though.

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Use this schematic if you want to install RD0-198's.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/atta...7&d=1155784729
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

thanks for the schematic info.Have any one upgrade their M10 using RDO-198 and what is the improvement like.Would like some feedback on this before I place orders with Polk CS

Thank you for all input
    Wilson

There are some who've upgraded from the RD0-194 to the 198 on SDA 2B's and were very pleased. I doubt you'll find many M7/M10 owners who've done the upgrade.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Member Sales Rating: (37)

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbutt View Post
    thanks for the schematic info.Have any one upgrade their M10 using RDO-198 and what is the improvement like.Would like some feedback on this before I place orders with Polk CS

Thank you for all input
    Wilson
    I have modded both the SDA-2B and SDA SRS 2 which originally from the factory came with the SL2000 (RDO194-1 replaces it)

The SL2000 was thought by most to be very harsh (around 17,000Hz if I remember correctly) and that caused "listening fatigue". I can attest that after a while the treble just "got on my nerves".

The RDO194-1 replacement smoothed out the curve and did a great job of getting rid of that harshness.

When Polk introduced its TL line, it featured the SL3000 (RDO198-1 is the replacement) and that tweeter is a whole different animal. In my opinion it is a much more "revealing" tweeter, with a more pleasing sound than its predecessors. The SL3000/RDO198-1 also is a different impedance speaker so it is not a direct swap for the SL2000/RDO194-1 without crossover modification.

Last November (2008) I did what is called the "TL" upgrade to my SDA-2B's that I purchased new in 1987, and I was astounded by the improvement.

##########

A month later I purchased and updated a pair of SDA SRS 2's and replaced the original 1986 SL2000's with RDO194-1's. The comparisons I was able to do with the 2 models side by side put the smaller "TL'd" SDA-2B's (In my opinion) ahead of larger and supposedly more robust SDA SRS 2's. (Again in my opinion) the difference was entirely due to the RDO198-1's.

##########

I did not give up on the SDA SRS 2's and actually found a way to introduce the RDO198-1 into that cabinet and "TL" the SDA SRS 2. That mod greatly enhanced the sound to the point to where it is very close to the still (in my opinion) slightly superior sound of the TL'd SDA-2B.

The reason I feel the TL'd SDA-2B is better is that it uses a single tweeter per cabinet (a "single point source" tweeter system). The SDA SRS 2 uses 2 tweeters per cabinet and the electronics cause varying levels of sound to be reproduced by one, the other, or both depending upon the frequency being reproduced. This is called "progressive point source" and is more difficult to electronically manage with the crossover system than is single point. For that reason I believe the SDA-2B provides slightly clearer highs (better imaging, no phasiness). Because of this, however, I believe the SDA-2B has a smaller SDA "sweet spot" and may not perform quite as well in a huge room.

##########

The bottom line is that having extensively listened to both over a long period of time, I personally clearly prefer the openness of the RDO198-1 and would suggest you use it if you are already committed to modifying your crossovers and replacing tweeters. The overall cost is the same, and the sound is arguably better.

One final thought is that if you have a chance to audition both varieties of tweeter, trusting your own ears is always the best policy.
    Last edited by inspiredsports; 09-22-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    VTL ST50 w/mods/RCA6L6GC/TlfnknECC801S
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    TT CJ Sonographe SG3 Oak/Sumiko LMT/Grado Wood Plat/Sumiko PIB2/The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020/Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    PSAudio Cryo PwrPrt Prem/ExctPwrEP15A
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

accidental post
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9/Vibrapods/MIT Shtgn AC1 IEC's/MIT Shotgun 2 IC's/MIT Shtgn 2 Speaker
    Wlnt SDA 2B TL/Oak SDA SRS II TL-Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Cust SDA ICs/Mortite/Dynamat Extreme/TFLF Rings/FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

I would like to go on the RD0-198 route but I cannot find the inductor value at 0.27mh 0.5ohm unless someone here can advise me where to purchase this inductor

Thank you
    Wilson

That is a high DCR for that value inductor.

This http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=255-216 should work though.

So the value of 0.27 mh is the same can be used even the ohm do not tally as required.
    The RD0-198 or SL3000 the schematic shows as 0.5 ohm whereas the jantzen is having 0.23ohm can it be replace need advise here

Thank You.

Default Tweteers 198 rdo

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbutt View Post
    since i am going to upgrade my crossover on my monitor 10b i am also going to change the tweeters.i am seeking the experts here for their advise to change to which tweeters that is suitable to the m10 the rdo 194 or rdo198

to use either tweeters which schematics should i use

thank you
    wilson
    where can ibuy an pair ineed badly ? Thanks

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by PW47 View Post
    where can ibuy an pair ineed badly ? Thanks
    You can order them from polk...Call the number at the top of this forum and mention your a member to get the discount
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Camelot Arthur DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre

Default white dome tweteers sda2 b original

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    That is a high DCR for that value inductor.

This http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=255-216 should work though.
    hy each thoses tweeters can upgrade my white dome ? icant find rdo 194 or 198 ? can you help me . thanks :o

Default Which Tweeters to change RDO198 or RDO194

There is also the Gnumeric spreadsheet which like Abiword is lighter weight than OO.

Quote Originally Posted by JotGloky73 View Post
    There is also the Gnumeric spreadsheet which like Abiword is lighter weight than OO.

Looks like poster thought he was signed in to a computer forum discussing freeware applications.

The hosting service of Polk forum hosts about 600 different forums. I sure hope their back-end database isn't broken and mixing posts from one to the other or some of our audio posts will end up in theobamaforum.com. :D
    CJPV-5 w/mods
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels

Looks like he has 4 other odd posts here as well--look like he's building up post count.

Thread Information