Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Projector Mounting Options

I'm getting ready to either buy a projector, and was mainly concerned about mounting position.

Our ceiling is vaulted in our living room and currently there are no power outlets close to the ceiling, or above where the projector to mount to where I could run wire. The ceiling runs with the roof line.

We do have a sturdy coffee table in from of the couches with a space underneath where the projector could sit. Do you guys see any issues with sitting the projector about a foot off the floor? I know there are keystone adjustment and thing like that, but just wanted to make sure it could work from that low on the floor.
    ~Dan
    --------

Projector: Epson 705HD on 106" DaLite
    TV: Samsung 50" Plasma PN50B550
    Receiver: Onkyo 607
    Fronts: Polk 1000i
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rears: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne Minivee 10
    PS3 and Xbox

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dvran View Post
    I'm getting ready to either buy a projector, and was mainly concerned about mounting position.

Our ceiling is vaulted in our living room and currently there are no power outlets close to the ceiling, or above where the projector to mount to where I could run wire. The ceiling runs with the roof line.

We do have a sturdy coffee table in from of the couches with a space underneath where the projector could sit. Do you guys see any issues with sitting the projector about a foot off the floor? I know there are keystone adjustment and thing like that, but just wanted to make sure it could work from that low on the floor.
    This is going to depend on the projector. LCD's and DLP's for example have different setup options when it comes to throw adjustment.

You need to ask the people you are getting the projector from or look in the user manual for the one you are looking at.

Most of the projectors I'm looking at are in the mid-range price 650-900 bucks. Like Bestbuy brands (Mitsu/Sony/Epson) 3LCD HD or DLP HD, 720p, or 1080p if cheap enough.

I'm not even sure what's better 3LCD HD or DLP HD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218018140177

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1216425209401
    ~Dan
    --------

PS3 and Xbox

Banned

LCD/DLP is not about a which is better. They are both found in low/mid/high end projectors. Just like speakers you need to demo for yourself if you can.

I like DLP personally, but other people suffer from what is called the 'screen door' effect with them.

Do yourself a favor and go to wwwdotprojectorpeopledotcom. I would tell you to look at the new Optoma HD20. It is $999 1080 (i/p?) projector.

They should be able to answer any viewing angle questions for you.

Banned

The mitz will be fine under the table . You will get a rainbow effect but if your in it for the long haul dlp is the best solution as theres no image degradation

Thanks. DLP it is then.

I'd like to get an Epson since projectors are their niche, but they seem expensive. Much more than Sony and Mitsu.

I was going to have the table about 6-8 feet away from the screen, and was planning on throwing a 96 inch image, so I hope this works. If not, I guess I keep moving the projector back (depth wise) to adjust the image.
    ~Dan
    --------

PS3 and Xbox

Banned

hmm you may end up way smaller than that . A great way to find out would be to log onto the projectorpeople.com web site and find your projector or onewith asimilar lens throw and select the projector calculator

This is the best way for the novice to tell exactly down to the last inch of what size of screen you can project given the distance youl be placing the the pj from the wall .

Its a little sliding scale and a breeze to use so if space is limited then youl get a larger image with lcd . Heres the thing with the mitz though . In the best mode youl get 950 lumens of brightness and it has an ansi contrast of 516 , thats more than a 3000 dollar jvc rs1

I say hold off for 2 months becaust all the new fleet of 1080p ones are starting to be released for under $1000 and this is the time of a new price performance revolution meaning that all the $5000 pj,s from 4 years ago are now $1000

I myself have my money ready for the new epson coming out this month .It has a staggering 36000 contrast ratio with 1800 lumens of brightness .. Them same specs would have cost $3000 just over a year ago

This new epson 8100 will be available at best buy for $1500 and that store has great financing plans with no interest

Banned

I forget to mention that the epson 8100 will be fitted with inorganic lcd panels so there is no image degradation over tiime from burnin

I would certainly invest in a good projector if its worth it. The only downfall is the lamp life, but projectorpeople.com is offering a free bulb with new purchase of an Epson projector.

Just a though, but it seems as if you don't really notice a difference from 720p to 1080p unless you put them side-by-side. Is it really worth the extra 6-800 bucks?
    ~Dan
    --------

PS3 and Xbox

Banned

The closer you sit the more you notice plus you have less pixels and less contrast vibrant

If you want 1080p quality then choose a panasonic pt200 that has smooth screen invincible pixels otherwise you will see pixels with other 720p

I owned an epson 720 and could totaly see pixels

Best get one of the new 1080p that under $1000

The new epson 8100 will have the ETORL 4000 hour bulb that cheaper than every other bulb

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Dan

I have had 4 projectors and didn't like the coffee table mount because I would always be banging it. Can you mount it on a shelf on the wall above and behind you? You could run a 120V cord from the floor or have a electrition put a plug behind the projector.

Have a blast.

I'll wait for a couple months and see of the price drops.

They have a Sanyo that gets good reviews, but when I think Sanyo, I think of crappy products.
    ~Dan
    --------

PS3 and Xbox

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Sanyo makes a pretty good HT projector to be honest. Epson is also very good, LCD though. Nothing wrong with mounting the PJ on table top long as you dont trip over it etc. You maybe able to demo Epson 6100 and find it online for pretty good price also. Definitely worth a look.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Banned

I would certainly invest in a good projector if its worth it. The only downfall is the lamp life, but projectorpeople.com is offering a free bulb with new purchase of an Epson projector.

Just a though, but it seems as if you don't really notice a difference from 720p to 1080p unless you put them side-by-side. Is it really worth the extra 6-800 bucks?
    Audioholics did a good write up on visual acuity as it pertains to 1080p. Check out the article here.

I setup a Panasonic PT-AX200U (1280 X 720) when it was initially released for a friend of mine. He has a 105" screen and after calibration it looks awesome from the seating distance of ~12-13 feet away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    Sanyo makes a pretty good HT projector to be honest. Epson is also very good, LCD though. Nothing wrong with mounting the PJ on table top long as you dont trip over it etc. You maybe able to demo Epson 6100 and find it online for pretty good price also. Definitely worth a look.
    Why would you recomend the 6100 when its 300 dollars more than the 8100 and only has 18000 contrast? plus it doesnt even have the inorganic panels

This recommendation spawns from pure ignorance to previous posts in this thread

Sorry if I may seem offensive but I stronly disagree with your recommendation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    Audioholics did a good write up on visual acuity as it pertains to 1080p. Check out the article here.

I setup a Panasonic PT-AX200U (1280 X 720) when it was initially released for a friend of mine. He has a 105" screen and after calibration it looks awesome from the seating distance of ~12-13 feet away.
    I totaly agree , infact I have 2 of them in my music and video game room with a sony vw50 in my living room

I have the pannys using movie goo and its just as good as the $1500 stewart high end screens

Quote Originally Posted by buymesome View Post
    Why would you recomend the 6100 when its 300 dollars more than the 8100 and only has 18000 contrast? plus it doesnt even have the inorganic panels

This recommendation spawns from pure ignorance to previous posts in this thread

Sorry if I may seem offensive but I stronly disagree with your recommendation
    1st off smart guy, watch your tone. FYI the Epson 6100 can be had cheaper if you shop around. The Epson 8100 is the next best thing, however I have yet to see it being sold as of now. Also I would not worry about the panels in which most cases the polarizers would likely fail way before that. All this talk about contrast Epson is still using DI to pump those high contrast numbers so after release we shall see if they really hold up to par.

So my thoughts still stand young gun, the 6100 would be a cheaper purchase if one shops around.

I'm using a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 on a shelf mounted on the wall behind my couch. Two brackets and a piece of shelving cost me like $25 at Home Depot and works like a charm (and once I ran the wall plates behind it, it looks very nice). I did, however, cheat with the power and just ran the cord down the wall, hiding it inside a white stick-on wire channel. No one notices. :)

Say what you will about Sanyo, they don't screw around when it comes to their warranty on the projectors. So long as you've been cleaning the filters regularly, their 3-year 72-hour turnaround warranty is legit. They covered the two problems I had with my previous Sanyo PLV-Z3 without too much of a hassle and got it back to me within the 72-hours they said they would. Fortunately, my Z2000 has been trouble free (and the inorganic panels haven't changed one jot, despite me being half way through my second bulb).

If you're going to mount it low to the ground, look for a projector that has lens shift. Ideally, you want the projector to be lined up with the screen as much as possible, but a unit with good lens shift can let you place it a good deal off center without too much degradation in the image.

I have the pannys using movie goo and its just as good as the $1500 stewart high end screens
    Now that's just funny. LMAO.:D

Banned

The goo is acurite in reproduction . This is not my opinion it is scientific fact check out evan powels review . If your wall has been treated property then the only thing that separates this from stewart film screens is gain in ligh

Do you find it funny that I own 2 pannys ? because thats practicality the number one projector on the planet

It has been the top seller on projecor people for over 2 years now , My friends and brothers all gather at my house to play online for clan battles

Me and my brothers scored both of these for 2000. It has video game mode and has a screen update thats so fast even the guys at projecorcentral couldn't measure it

The epson is slotted for realease this month maybe even in 1 or 2 weeks for 1500 . If you know a better deal then please post a link as Im curious how much cheape the 6100 sells for that makes it somthing you would recommend ? Even though it doesnt have inorganic pannels and half the contrast

Just thought I would mention that sxrd on my sony vw50 is only goog for movies and sucks for video games

The goo is acurite in reproduction . This is not my opinion it is scientific fact check out evan powels review . If your wall has been treated property then the only thing that separates this from stewart film screens is gain in ligh

Do you find it funny that I own 2 pannys ? because thats practicality the number one projector on the planet

It has been the top seller on projecor people for over 2 years now , My friends and brothers all gather at my house to play online for clan battles

Me and my brothers scored both of these for 2000. It has video game mode and has a screen update thats so fast even the guys at projecorcentral couldn't measure it

The epson is slotted for realease this month maybe even in 1 or 2 weeks for 1500 . If you know a better deal then please post a link as Im curious how much cheape the 6100 sells for that makes it somthing you would recommend ? Even though it doesnt have inorganic pannels and half the contrast

Just thought I would mention that sxrd on my sony vw50 is only goog for movies and sucks for video games
    Nothing wrong with using Goo but comparing it Stewart screens is highly subjective. Sure the Goo may work well in your application but there are many advantages to using a dedicated screen that a Goo system just can't compete with.

Never owned the Panasonic PJ but have seen the new ones in action since the 2000U was released to include your model. For what it is and does its a nice unit, a decent unit for those getting started in FPJ.

I have seen the VW50 plenty of times, almost bought one but went with the JVC HD1 at the time. A very nice unit, not sure why you say it sucks for gaming. Is the unit calibrated? Are you using a Goo system with a VW50?

Also the system showcase is your friend, I'd like to see your setup if you don't mind sharing.

back to the OP's mounting question, I would say +100 on using a shelf behing the couch.
    I tried the coffe table option when I was demoing PJ's and it was really a pain when not watching...cords, DVD player ect...took up the whole thing.

WAY easier & better to just put on op of a bookcase at the back, with DVD player, cable converter box ect ect.. I just used a switch box to send the Coax signal to the front location of the AVR. Or yo could locate the AVR at the side and just have to run speaker wires to the front...depending on your room.

Also OP, if you're after DLP based projector look into BenQ also. Under 1k
    http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...ame=BenQ+W1000

I would use the rear bookshelf to mounting the projector but the room is 20' long. I'll have about 7-8' left behind the sofa. I was just worries that shooting the projector from about 1 foot off the floor would not give me a good image, or would simply not work. From you all have said, DLP seems to be the way to go for PJs. Thanks for the support.
    ~Dan
    --------

PS3 and Xbox

Can you not ceiling mount it?

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I would use the rear bookshelf to mounting the projector but the room is 20' long. I'll have about 7-8' left behind the sofa. I was just worries that shooting the projector from about 1 foot off the floor would not give me a good image, or would simply not work. From you all have said, DLP seems to be the way to go for PJs. Thanks for the support.
    Find a different room.

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I just upgraded from a Panasonic AE900U to an Epson 6100 and I think your question is subjective. For some it's worth the extra money, for some it isn't. If you can't notice a difference unless they are side-by-side, it's probably not worth the extra money. I'm not saying my upgrade was night and day, but the PQ was definitely improved.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Thread Information