Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Initial Bluray likes/dislikes

So far, I have just been using my Bluray player as a regular DVD player with Bluray DVDs. That is, I have not bothered with any of the interactive features, etc. Aside from the obvious better picture, and better sound, these are some points I have noticed since I got my first DVD player (Oppo BD83) 3-4 weeks ago.

Like:
    Able to skip FBI warnings, anti-piracy warnings, previews, etc. I used to get upset at “Operation prohibited” while trying to do these operations on a DVD.

Dislike:
    It seems most Blurays, maybe all, do not support resume play from where stopped. I very rarely watch a movie from beginning to end. So, now with Bluray I have to skip chapters, and fast forward to find where I last stopped watching. It amazes me this feature is missing in Bluray.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Dislike:
    It seems most Blurays, maybe all, do not support resume play from where stopped. I very rarely watch a movie from beginning to end. So, now with Bluray I have to skip chapters, and fast forward to find where I last stopped watching. It amazes me this feature is missing in Bluray.

Odd, my PS3 allows it. Maybe there's a menu setting for it.

ZERO Threshold of Hearing

Quote Originally Posted by LessisNevermore View Post
    Odd, my PS3 allows it. Maybe there's a menu setting for it.
    i was thinking the samething.
    I am 100% BORN DEAF and No I am not kidding! :D Why am I here? My wife's hearing! :p

My Home Theater Rig || Television: 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera Plasma || Power Conditioner: Power Monster HTS 3600 MKII || Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805 || Blu-Ray/Gaming: 60 Gigabytes Playstation 3 || Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 || Fronts: Polk Audio RT800i || Center: Polk Audio CS245i || Surrounds: TBA|| Subwoofer: TBA

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I rarely use any extra features other than view gag reels. The picture quality and uncompressed sound are what do it for me. Another feature that I've been enjoying is upconversion of standard DVD's. The PS3 does an excellent job with upconversion.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

Member Sales Rating: (1)

The Oppo allows resume playback, you can even swap out movies and it will pick up where you left off when reviewing again. I think it does this for up to five titles.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post
    The Oppo allows resume playback, you can even swap out movies and it will pick up where you left off when reviewing again. I think it does this for up to five titles.
    Only if the Bluray supports it, and the Bluray titles I have bought do not allow this feature.

From the Oppo manual, page 38.

NOTE
    ē Some Blu-ray Discs do not support resuming and will always play from the beginning.

From an AVforum discussion on this subject.

"Disc are authored in 2 ways in Blu ray. One is like a DVD and if a player has a resume function then you should be able to resume just like DVD. The other and now becoming the more common standard for Blu ray discs is BD J. This is basically Java programming and what the Java progam says is done (the player just acting as a computer following an instruction). If the discs does tell the player to resume it won't / can't. You need to lobby the distributors to put this feature on the discs. It is now a disc issue with BD J and not a player issue like it was with DVD. In the early days some discs were authored like DVDs but the norm nowdays will be BD J."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...ay-resume.html

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Wowsers. Never noticed that before. Guess I don't resume that often.

Can you name a few titles you own that do not resume?

Member Sales Rating: (11)

with Blu Ray to resume you have to first set a bookmark to where you want to start again. it's fubar.. and not very user friendly..

at least on my Panny player. I have to set up a secret code, then send it to the FBI for a complete decipher, then off to who knows where and I have to enter %#@@^*)_8975%&(64368))(***^%$ backwards 3 times on the remote and then I can resume where I left off. it's a nice feature if you have the time. :p

Can't you use the Bookmark feature?
    Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

Quote Originally Posted by emoxley View Post
    Can't you use the Bookmark feature?
    That's not the point. A clumsy kludge should never replace a useful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post

I just rechecked, and I am batting 1000 with no resume Bluray DVDs.

Battlestar Galactica - season 4.5
    Watchmen
    Terminator 3
    Starship Troopers
    The Matrix Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by fatchowmein View Post

Agreed, nice find Bluefox, I think I skipped over reading that in the print as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    I just rechecked, and I am batting 1000 with no resume Bluray DVDs.

Battlestar Galactica - season 4.5
    Watchmen
    Terminator 3
    Starship Troopers
    The Matrix Trilogy

Finally, I have a Bluray that supports resume. Last night I started watching The Fifth Element and stopped at some point. Tonight I turned the player back on, and the movie actually started where I stopped. What a concept!!

Also, The Fifth Element was a great referance DVD, and it is a great referance Bluray disk. The sound and picture quality is amazing.

I sure will be glad when some new movies I have not yet seen, or own, start getting released. Such as this summer's Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, Transformers, and Inglorious Basterds.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

+1 on The Fifth Element.
    Kung Fu Panda is also stunning.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by vc69 View Post
    +1 on The Fifth Element.
    Kung Fu Panda is also stunning.
    ++1 for Fifth Element.

That was the first bluray I showed my friends on my 50" plasma.

One friend said she had to leave early, but then she was so mesmerized by the detail and clarity she forgot to leave on time and was 30 minutes late.

Tonight it is Big Trouble in Little China - our group cult classic party movie.

Can't wait to hear Jack's words of wisdom.... :D

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.

I just got my Oppo BDP-83 about a week ago, and I've been spinning discs like mad all week. My display is a Sanyo Z2000 projector with a 100" screen, calibrated to 6500k with an EyeOne Display LT. So far, the tops in video quality for me have been I Robot, The Incredible Hulk and Knowing. As far as audio goes, I Robot and King Kong have been the ones to beat.

Though I have to say... I just finished watching SUNSHINE, and that movie alone justified my purchase.

Member Sales Rating: (25)

I was playing around with some BD's last week and IIRC Baraka resumed fine. I didn't turn the player off or eject the disc, but I did go out to the main BR menu (not the BD's menu) to play with a few settings. (Sony BDPS350 or something like that)
    I was also NOT able to skip past any FBI warnings and still get the Operation Prohibited messages. So perhaps that is individual Disc related as well.
    Of course I didn't explicitly test this out--just what I recall observing.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 , SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's

Bluray plays the correct aspect ratio. With DVD's I seem to have to manually adjust it all the time.

Watching I Robot last night I discovered another ‘dislike’ and a ‘like’.

The ‘dislike’ is the Java software embedded in the I Robot BR turns off the Oppo screen saver. This sucks big time as sometimes I like to ‘party’ while watching DVDs and listening to music on weekend nights. This sometimes results in me falling asleep while a BR is paused, and I am in the living room listening to music. The screensaver has saved my TV more than once. With I Robot I have to turn the TV off when I pause the movie.

I wish Java and its features were an option that can be disabled/enabled depending on the user’s desire. Having software take over control on my BRP is something I would prefer to control. This is how Skynet will eventually take over, one BRP at a time.

The ‘like’ is the BR sound is so much better than DVDs. While this is nothing new I realized last night that the bass in BRs is much more integrated and balanced with the overall sound. On DVDs it appears the bass was over emphasized, perhaps because the rest of the sound was compressed. On BRs the bass is still there but not as loud as on regular DVDs. This is a good thing as it makes explosions, etc. more realistic on BRs.

Of course, the b*******s might not like accurate sound reproduction, but they can always turn the sub up and distort the sound the way b*******s like. ;)

Member Sales Rating: (25)

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    I was playing around with some BD's last week and IIRC Baraka resumed fine. I didn't turn the player off or eject the disc, but I did go out to the main BR menu (not the BD's menu) to play with a few settings. (Sony BDPS350 or something like that)
    I was also NOT able to skip past any FBI warnings and still get the Operation Prohibited messages. So perhaps that is individual Disc related as well.
    Of course I didn't explicitly test this out--just what I recall observing.
    Watching Ghostbuster's on BD the otherday I noticed an option to save bookmarks of my favorite scenes. I wonder if that's spcific to the flick or the player, etc.
    I haven't played with it yet, but that would be cool to Bookmark all my favorite "demo" scenes when doing a demo marathon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mmadden28 View Post
    I haven't played with it yet, but that would be cool to Bookmark all my favorite "demo" scenes when doing a demo marathon or something.
    New features are great, especially if they are actually useful. ;)

What I hate is when useful old features disappear, especially if there is not any technical reason for that to happen.

I work in the computer networking industry, and write software which tests network software and hardware. Anyway, one piece of test equipment I use is the Spirent Smartbit (SMB) traffic generator. This lets us create any type of, within SMBís limitation, network packet needed for a test. Spirent replaced the SMB platform with the Spirent Test Center (STC) platform. It does the same thing, but with more features and performance.

But. the STC is missing a very important function that is in the SMB. That function is the ability to use built-in software and examine the contents of a created packet before it is transmitted. Smartbit has it, Spirent Test Center does not. Believe me, it is easy to create a bad packet, and having bugs in the software that tests software is not a good thing.

Other than making my life difficult, the part that really bothers me is there is not any technical reason for this function to not exist, as is there is no reason for Blue Ray players not to have a resume function for every BRDVD.

Thread Information