Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default HUMBLE Vintage AKAI SW-177

I know, for many those speakers might not be worthwhile looking at but honestly I can't think of replacing them. Being an old timer, I still have problem with bass as a separate and for the audio I still prefer a full range speaker. This speaker has 2 tweeters (1 3/4"), mid (5 1/4") and a huge 15" woofer (which got me in trouble more than once with my neighboors in my younger days.

Both speakers work however, one of the mid was replaced years back and is not the original nor fit the enclosure properly. I have googled just about evertything trying to find some resources to find parts for those babies and of unsuccessfully.

* 1 of the dust cap from one of the 15" woofer is slightly squished in, it doesn't affect the performance of the speaker but I would still like to know if there is a fix for that?

* Of course I would love to find the appropriate mid range replacement. Who knows, maybe even in the used?

* Lastly, if anyone has some suggestion on refacing the grills. The grill frames are wooden frames and slowly the pieces are detaching from each other. Originally stapled, would it be best glued? I also wouldn't mind to redo the material screen. It is stapled all around the wooden frame, would it be best to install over the old one (as I am afraid to damage the britle wooden frame) or is it better to remove the old one and start all over from scratch?

I realize for many those humble speakers maybe not worthwhile but in all honesty, I much prefer the sound of thos 3 way with decent size woofer than potentially higher end and newer speakers with such insignificant woofer size.

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/232/857.html

Thanks in advance for your help!

TK
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 10-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I can help you on one question you had. For the dust cap there are a few things you can do to pull it out.

1. One method is to use tape. Take some tape (which kind depends on how stiff the dust cap is) and use it to pull it out. Duct tape is what usually works best.

2.You can also use a vacuum. Take the end of the hose and attach it to the dust cap. You have to be careful though as you do not want to rip the dust cap off. This methos does not always work though. Cloth dust caps are one it does not work on very well, if at all cause air will pull through and not allow suction.

3. You can take a sewing needle and insert it into the dust cap. I have some Monitor 10b Polk speakers and that is what I had to do. I bent the very end of the needle to an 'L'. Came at the cap from the side and gently inserted it behind the cap. With a combo of gently pulling and using the needle to push from behind I got my cap all the way out with no visible dents. After I was finished, you could not see the hole where I inserted the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    I can help you on one question you had. For the dust cap there are a few things you can do to pull it out.

1. One method is to use tape. Take some tape (which kind depends on how stiff the dust cap is) and use it to pull it out. Duct tape is what usually works best.

2.You can also use a vacuum. Take the end of the hose and attach it to the dust cap. You have to be careful though as you do not want to rip the dust cap off. This methos does not always work though. Cloth dust caps are one it does not work on very well, if at all cause air will pull through and not allow suction.

3. You can take a sewing needle and insert it into the dust cap. I have some Monitor 10b Polk speakers and that is what I had to do. I bent the very end of the needle to an 'L'. Came at the cap from the side and gently inserted it behind the cap. With a combo of gently pulling and using the needle to push from behind I got my cap all the way out with no visible dents. After I was finished, you could not see the hole where I inserted the needle.
    Thank you BigMac, all good tips! They are not cloth dust cap, I think the duck tape is the first option and with diligence and patience should give good results!

Thanks again for the tips! Any other tips in reference mid replacement and the grill refacing would be much appreciated. Keep the info/knowledge coming Polkies and thanks in advance!

Cheers!
    TK

By the way, AKAI never really been in the speaker business therefore, anyone would have any idea who was actually making the speakers for their brand name?

Cheers!
    TK

This was actually the only mean that worked since the dust cap was way to stiff to respond to the other 2 methods. In the center of the dust cap, it uses different matierial so the air can come out and this allowed me to use a fine tool to go behind the dust cap to bring it back out. It is still slightly diformed therefore I put gaffer tape to obstruct the venting hole which should help give the dust cap its original form by creating air pressure from behind. Once the dust cap is back to normal, I'll remove the small piece of gaffer tape

I haven't yet been successful in finding a mid replacement as I would have hoped to find the original part. I checked with part express, they do carry similar one that should probably fit externally (flange and holes matching), it is also black as the original one. I checked the specs and they seem to be very close (I am trying to get some service manual to make sure specs matches 100%). I printed the product page and will physically hole measurements on the box. Now, this is a Pioneer product and I found the pricing was ratter low therefor I am not sure if the audio quality will still be there. Anyhow, if I go that route I will have to change both mid driver in order to have a match. This should be a temporary fix untill I can (if at all possible) actually find the original parts.

If anyone wants to chip in other options, I'll be glad to hear them.

Cheers!
    TK

Well, I ordered some compatible mid drivers from parts express however, if anyone ever see some of those AKAI for sale even if the cabinet are beat up, I would buy for the original parts.

Cheers!
    TK

Member Sales Rating: (2)

oh, AKAI made some speakers (not necessarily common in the US, though)
    http://audio-heritage.jp/AKAI/speaker/index.html
    all the best,
    mrh

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy6647 View Post
    oh, AKAI made some speakers (not necessarily common in the US, though)
    http://audio-heritage.jp/AKAI/speaker/index.html
    Odd, mine (SW-177) don't even appear in this link. Too bad because your link shows some specs.

Cheers!
    TK

Received the mids this evening and successfully replaced them. I am presently auditionning my newly acquired Beatles mono set These old speakers still kick ass despite their age and the Beatles is definitely good music for the testing before going back to 2 channel duty, I hope they still last for many good years!

Cheers!
    TK
    Last edited by TECHNOKID; 10-21-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information