Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    The hardest part was probably removing the old grill, right?
    Sometimes they come out easy as pie, others are super jammed up in there.

Just use caution when removing the old grills, be patient. The new drivers sound better and look even cooler don't you think? Thanks for the pics JMOS.

Oh, and your welcome TOE, sorry that I neglected to catch you thank you about this so long ago. I worked with engineering on this modification years ago when we wondered if there was any easy stuff to do aside from xover modifications on the LSi series.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 01-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Okay, I guess it's time to resurrect this thread again! I recently acquired some LSi15's thanks to our awesome member DMara. I decided to give this mod a try since the price was right, and from other's comments, I had nothing to lose. I got a set of db840's and some Mortite off of Amazon for right around $106 shipped. I also purchased a large box of Dynamat Xtreme since I want to do some noise reduction in my car, so I also put Dynamat on the outside of the port tube as Mark suggested. It only took about an hour to do the mod, and it was very straightforward.

The results are very good. I just got them hooked up, and I can immediately tell how much tighter, cleaner and accurate the bass is. It also does seem to dig a bit deeper. I imagine it will only improve as the new drivers break in over the next few days. There also seems to be less port noise when playing loud, heavy bass notes; I assume this is due to the Dynamat.

At any rate, I highly recommend this mod! It's easy and quite inexpensive.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

BeefJerky,

Can you post a link to the mortite you bought? I saw they have a few options on Amazon, I was wondering which weight/thickness to go with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhracer3 View Post
    BeefJerky,

Can you post a link to the mortite you bought? I saw they have a few options on Amazon, I was wondering which weight/thickness to go with.

Thanks
    Another better (IMHO) option is Armaflex which you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot, ect. It comes off much easier and is easier to work with as well.

Here is a review of the differences between mortite, armaflex, ect.

Here is what it looks like: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

When I did my DB840 upgrade I used a sharp blade and cut the gasket that came with the new speakers. Just take the gasket off the new woofers and slowly & carefully cut the gasket along the back edge where it has a seam (where it starts to curve from the flat edge with the mounting holes.) You'll end up with the thin part of the gasket that has the holes in it as you new mounting gasket. Just take your time and it works great.

nice mod guys. this is very tempting. been almost a month^^^has anyone tried different subs????
    living room
    96 inch optoma hd20
    onkyo bd808 blue ray
    rtia9 fronts
    rtia3 highs
    csia6(2) center
    fxia6 sur
    21 active cerwin vega
    onyko txnr3007
    sun sig 425x5
    apc conditioner

bedrom
    lg 50 ich led
    onkyo txnr808
    lsi15 sub mod and xover by vr3
    sub pl200

Damn, I just read this thread

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...hlight=mortite

What has become of this DarqueKnight?

That's quite a set of data he posted!
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

The only Polk subwoofer that fits, is the db series. We tried to get an SR series subwoofer to fit but the magnet structure is too big and the Power Port becomes a problem. I'm sure you could find similar sized subs to the db and they would work but that was the subwoofer we actually played with in a chamber, tested and worked on in-house, to see if it would work as a better driver choice.

Mark

Default Woofer exchange complete

I ended up using the gaskets on the replacements and left out the moretite and they fit fine. I did use all the screw holes though. I used Dynamat extreme on the woofer frames and also wrapped the ports. I notice a much fuller and substantial low end and I think it helps the overall sound of the 15's sound blend better from the high to low end.Name:  photo (8).JPG
Views: 565
Size:  468.8 KB
    "Thats great... but how does it sound"
    http://www.burginmcdaniel.com/

http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/au...cdaniel_komit/

Yamaha RX-A820 (networked with wireless bridge), Carver M-1.0t, Carver TFM-35, Carver C-1, Polk SDA1c's (x2 pair), Polk RTA 8tl's, Polk RTA 11tl's, Polk Monitor 5, Polk CS 400, Polk PSW 650, Rega Planar 3, Sony DVPNC555ES SACD/DVD, Panny 65" Plasma, Roku

2007 Tundra 5.7 TRD DC
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Polk SR6500
    SI BM 12" subs
    Zed Gladius
    Zed Deuce

Question... When I disassembled the OEM woofer from the cabinet, the white lead was + and the yellow lead was -. But the leads have different sized connectors... If I fit the connector by size, the polarity is reversed. Did anyone else notice this? If so, how did you resolve it? Did you solder the connectors on correctly?

Connecting the wires by size gave me a very slight increase in bass so I am assuming that the polarity is incorrect.
    Last edited by jon s; 09-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Aargh... my mistake, the wiring is correct... But I do not notice any increase in overall bass response, it actually sounds less... The bottom extension appears deeper, but the midbass response seems reduced. Some music that had thumping bass now sounds subdued but goes lower. Depth seems to have improved.

The mortite I bought from Home Depot was kind of dried out... it had a crumbly texture... is that normal?

I dont think it`s supposed to be dried out. Also remember drivers need some time for break in.

But everyone says its better so you be the judge.

It's less boomy which is what your describing. Your getting accurate bass for once. Turn it up and it's got more than enough bass.

Trust me I know.

What are you powering it with power wise and source wise?

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Sales Rating
    Gear

Anyone that has upgraded to the db woofers and still have the stock woofers laying around and wanna get rid of them please PM me. I would like to get 6 more of them for a "project".
    --Gary--

I'll have 4 of the stock 8" drivers available at the end of this week after I upgrade all mine.

I pm'd you Phred.
    --Gary--

Member Sales Rating: (37)

pm'd you Gary.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

A bit off topic --- has anyone thought of or tried DB1040 on Lsi25? I'd be very interested to hear the results.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3

We had problems with the simple idea of just using the larger version, on the larger version. It's more than a few issues including proper clearance of the power port and cabinet volume were just two problems. The volume isn't a huge issue but it became a project that had more work involved and it wasn't just a drop in replacement like the smaller model. It was abandoned and I'm not aware of anyone doing this mod, nor would I suggest it unless you had the money and time. Just my opinion.

Mark
    Polk Audio CS

I appreciate your reply. No, I am not brave to try.
    • Online - Focal Solo6 BE, Polk PSW10, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Lenovo x220t
    • Music/HT - Lsi25, Lsi9 (Vr3), Lsi7, LsiC, Pioneer SC-68 & BDP-62FD, PS3

Plus, honestly, I don't even like the LSi25 so I would put forth no more effort than I already have. The fact you can drop-in and plug in the LSi15/dB Series woofer is just the sweetest deal ever. The mod has been done here over a dozen times, it works and I've yet to hear any complaints.

It all stemmed from an email I sent to Engineering many years ago about, "What would you do to mod the LSi series?". And the first model out of the response was the LSi15. The exact driver was immediately mentioned and a couple smaller issues that were also passed on and can be found in the threads about this modification.

Clearly, they had messed around with this idea and if you have ever met the folks from that area of Polk HQ, they like to try things and test theories. If they didn't we wouldn't be here and we wouldn't even care about this in the first place. These folks love their job and they love to push the envelope, even if its simple things.

That's why Polk Audio has such a following here and why they(HQ) think its weird when we want autographs on vintage drivers, literature and sometimes even body parts when we get the chance to do tours in Baltimore(2005/ 2008/ 2012....am I getting the years' right guys?). Other manufacturers started doing stuff like this YEARS after we started to do it and make it painfully public. Suck it Carverfest.

Mark
    Last edited by dorokusai; 10-28-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Other manufacturers started doing stuff like this YEARS after we started to do it and make it painfully public. Suck it Carverfest.
    Hahaha! Thanks for the great morning laugh Mark.

Are there any other options besides the polk replacement for this driver that anyone has found? I am not a fan of their look.

Quote Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post
    Are there any other options besides the polk replacement for this driver that anyone has found? I am not a fan of their look.
    You can't see it once you put the cover back on. Plus the subs face sideways so you shouldn't see them regardless lol

Sales Rating
    Gear

well mine are positioned so you can see them and I liked to keep the grill off.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

If you are watching the drivers when listening, you are NOT listening.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

You either have way to extreme of a toe in or like F1nut says, you're doing it wrong. Why do you dislike using the grill?

Member Sales Rating: (31)

I guess you're SOL then.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lots of people like to have the grilles off I don't get the big deal? They dont really add much to the look other than provide a cheap cover up for bad looking or gaudy speakers. But its fine, obviously their is not a known alternative.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Grills serve a few purposes that you seem unaware of. First and foremost, they are an integral part of the speaker's acoustical design. They keep dust and grim off the drivers. They keep little fingers from poking. So, put your grills back on.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Thread Information